Removing the Motor...

firenut
Go to solution Solved by Mack458,

So reality has struck and i cannot free pistons #3 & #5 in my 707 motor.. I have decided to remove the motor for a complete overhaul.. Some folks in another forum said that the machine shop can boil the block to remove the stuck pistons... I guess we will see... Any suggestions on how best to remove the motor.? I am guessing that the trans and motor will come out together??

post-15625-0-08368600-1428105758_thumb.j

Strong Arms!!!!! Several ways.. stripped that far down a boom jack (engine lift) should pic it, A strong overhead beam and a cumalong or chain hoist, Excavitor or back hoe, Bucket loader, ETC

• Like 1

Brocky

Glenn

That would depend on what the sludge inside the tranny looks like??? I would pull the shift tower and look.. It is about six of one and a half dozen of the other which way to bring the tranny out if necessary??? Partly depends on the tools and jacks available..

Brocky

My vote would be to remove the engine first without the tranny. Unless you have access to a fork lift or very heavy duty floor crane the weight of the block will be everything you want to handle.

I would start looking for another engine right now. Yeah, I know you probably want to keep it original, but the cost of a re-build, if it can be saved, will be way more than a used engine.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

From the pic you posted I'd say your truck has rear engine mount on the bell housing, not on the tranny.

It's the L-model and it looks almost similar to my WW2 NR model.

If so it's impossible to keep the transmission in its place.

I pulled the engine with the tranny together with a chain hoist. The total weight was about 1600 kg, 1000 for the engine and 600 for the 10 speed duplex tranny.

Not exactly shure about your truck but the manual of mine said to take a cab off or backwards for a bit.

I would say you're going to go the same track.

There was a difficulty to clear up the steering gear when pulling.

I will put it back without the gear box although I'm going to do it before the cab is on.

post-3971-0-58782200-1428183059_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-98996900-1428183101_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-88871700-1428183135_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-74869800-1428183163_thumb.jp

post-3971-0-68476900-1428183192_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Thanks everyone for the feedback.. I am thinking that i will go the forklift route and pull the trans and motor as a whole... i am still holding out some hope that I can pull the pistons and free up the two stuck ones without removing the motor. I removed the pan tonight and found that the underside of the motor is is great shape.... next... i'll try the pistons....

• Like 1

Try a solution of 90% acetone with 10% ATF in the cylinders. Let it soak as long as you can before you try moving the pistons. The acetone will thin the oil to let it reach into the cylinder and then evaporate away to leave the lubricating oil.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Good suggestion Carl. Also, after you leave it soak, try "tapping" the top of the piston with a 2x4 and then soak again. This may create a "crack" to allow oil to seep along the rings. Repeat as necessary.

Update: after reading PZ1's post below - perhaps you can rig a press to put pressure on the piston then soak it like Carl's states. Combination of soaking and pressure may break it loose.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Make a press to push the piston down. Take a heavy bar, or angle or channel, etc. and drill two holes to run bolts into head bolt holes with washers or spacers for clearance, and use a large threaded rod in the center to push. Those cylinders may be pitted and will need to be bored - if they are not sleeves.

Pulled my engine and trans together but I had a good sized modern loader and operator to run it while I guided it all up and out of the hole. I detailed the trans and didn't have to struggle with the trans input shaft allignment while trying to set it back in place. I've got most of an ENF 707C if that helps. It's in Massachusetts. Need pistons and rods but the rest is there and in good shape.

I would be leery of putting too much down pressure on the pistons out of concern that I might break the rings or punch a hole in the piston. Worst case scenario is the piston and rod are in a straight line and you are trying to push the crank out of the block.

Be careful if you are going to try to push the non-stuck pistons out of the top of the block as well. If there is a lot of wear a ridge can develop in the cylinder bore at the top of the stroke that can break a ring or even jam the piston. You can use a ridge cutter to remove it, providing you can find one large enough for this engine.

• Like 1