EPA goes after wood burning stoves

41chevy

EPA’s Ban On Wood Burning Stoves Just Days From Taking Effect NY Times 2-28-2015

The Environmental Protection Agency is set to finalize a set of regulations in February that critics say will effectively ban production of 80 percent of the wood- and pellet-burning stoves in America.

The EPA had published a set of proposed regulations more than a year ago, and since then had accepted public comments.

But the regulations already are having an impact. An advertisement for the Central Boiler Company says that company’s classic outdoor wood furnaces will be outlawed by the new regulations and will not be available later this spring.

The EPA has argued that the new regulations would improve air quality. The regulations require new stoves to burn up to 70 percent cleaner.

“Residential wood smoke causes many counties in the U.S. to either exceed the EPA’s health-based national ambient air quality standards (NAAQS) for fine particles or places them on the cusp of exceeding those standards,” the EPA previously said. “To the degree that older, higher emitting, less efficient wood heaters are replaced by newer heaters that meet the requirements of this rule, or better, the emissions would be reduced, the efficiencies would be increased and fewer health impacts should occur.”

It would be the first new standards on stoves since the 1980s

Critics say it is government overreach lacking common sense – and note that people have heated their home with wood for thousands of years.

“It seems that even wood isn’t green or renewable enough anymore,” columnist Larry Bell wrote onForbes.com “… [it’s] the oldest heating method known to mankind and mainstay of rural homes and many of our nation’s poorest residents. The agency’s stringent one-size-fits-all rules apply equally to heavily air-polluted cities and far cleaner plus typically colder off-grid wilderness areas such as large regions of Alaska and the American West.”

About 12 percent of all homes rely primarily on wood, Bell said, quoting census data. The regulations won’t force Americans to get rid of their old stoves, but the regulations will ban the resell and the trading in of those stoves.

Local and State Governments Ban Wood Burning

Some local governments are going even farther than the EPA. The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency recently banned wood burning in King County (Seattle) for several days because of stagnant weather conditions. The Seattle Times reported that persons who violate the ban could face a $1,000 fine.

Elsewhere, the Utah Department of Environmental Quality has proposed a ban on all coal, pellet and wood burning between November 1 and March 15 for several counties around Salt Lake City. All coal and wood burning would be illegal during that period in Salt Lake, Box Elder, Cache, Davis, Utah, Tooele Utah and Weber counties in the proposal. The Deseret Newsreported. The News called the ban the nation’s toughest wood-burning ban. “A full ban includes even those who have invested thousands of dollars upgrading their wood stoves to EPA-compliant models that burn more cleanly.”

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

"We're from the government, we're here to help" You can burn an American Flag(don't let ME see you do that),but don't get caught burning your leaves or heating your home with wood-BULLSHIT! Al

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Regulations passed by politicians with no concept of reality.Their world is the Beltway. Cold? turn up the thermostat, hungry? call the take out place. Wake up cold and hungry and you attitude will surely change pretty F'in quick!!

My house in Oyster Bay and Riverhead both have fireplaces converted to Franklin stoves, my shop is heated by a pair of Drip Oil heaters, The house in Va has 4 fireplaces when the shop is finished it will have the Drip Oil heaters form here and a potbelly stove in the "office/ MACK Cave".

In Riverhead last fall I made a donation to the village F.D.s to clear burn my fields. The local F.D.s used it a brush fire practice to the annoyance of a few neighbors. Wish I could have canned the smell of burning leaves.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I will just keep building my own, along with a waste oil drip system.....hahaha

I built my 2 drip oil heaters, best thing I ever did. They put out a ton of heat for no money.

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ban cigarettes, legalize pot. Legislate the steel industry, coal industry and industry in general out of existence. Make it impossible to own a truck that actually runs and doesn't have to stop on IT's schedule to 'regenerate" wherever and whenever that might happen. Don't worry about the fuel economy of that truck or the price of the fuel. The driver will figure it out. Promote EV's (electric vehicles) that get most of their power from COAL but don't let that little tidbit slow you down.

When we shiver in the dark, or under the light of a clean burning candle (not invented yet but will probably cost $1000 each.), "they" will be happy. What is the plan when we cannot use fossil fuels for transportation or heat or electricity. What will happen when we can't use nuclear power even though the US industry has it figured out to run safely. Solar isn't enough. Wind is a not in my back yard solution that nobody likes and is frankly not real cost effective. What then? We can't burn wood which is completely renewable by the way. We can't permit new refineries in the USA even though ours are all old and subject to problems. We don't want foreign dependence but it is our only option at this point and we do nothing to actually be more self sufficient.

It would help if the government could actually dig their heads out of their rear ends and have a VIABLE sustainable and real plan.

IT's all a bad joke right now. And Obamamama won't sign the pipeline project...One more indication we need to find our candles and get some warm blankets. Get ready to shiver in the dark...

Greg

Says it all.

payn_c12819620150227120100_zpsr5prytxc.j

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ban cigarettes, legalize pot. Legislate the steel industry, coal industry and industry in general out of existence. Make it impossible to own a truck that actually runs and doesn't have to stop on IT's schedule to 'regenerate" wherever and whenever that might happen. Don't worry about the fuel economy of that truck or the price of the fuel. The driver will figure it out. Promote EV's (electric vehicles) that get most of their power from COAL but don't let that little tidbit slow you down.

When we shiver in the dark, or under the light of a clean burning candle (not invented yet but will probably cost $1000 each.), "they" will be happy. What is the plan when we cannot use fossil fuels for transportation or heat or electricity. What will happen when we can't use nuclear power even though the US industry has it figured out to run safely. Solar isn't enough. Wind is a not in my back yard solution that nobody likes and is frankly not real cost effective. What then? We can't burn wood which is completely renewable by the way. We can't permit new refineries in the USA even though ours are all old and subject to problems. We don't want foreign dependence but it is our only option at this point and we do nothing to actually be more self sufficient.

It would help if the government could actually dig their heads out of their rear ends and have a VIABLE sustainable and real plan.

IT's all a bad joke right now. And Obamamama won't sign the pipeline project...One more indication we need to find our candles and get some warm blankets. Get ready to shiver in the dark...

Greg

I guess he figures it's much better to move that crude oil by rail, there's little chance of a train derailment and explosion- oh, wait...never mind.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I wonder if some of thoses that voted for change would like to talk on this.

Hard to find one who admits they voted for the campaigner and chief all the years he has been emperor I have only had a hand full of people who proudly admitted voting for him.
  • Like 1

Hard to find one who admits they voted for the campaigner and chief all the years he has been emperor I have only had a hand full of people who proudly admitted voting for him.

I'd sure as hell like to meet one that's alive or a legal citizen.

His latest thing is the illegals who got amnesty and worked off the books for years can now show proof of working off the books and get an Earned Wage Tax refund for every year they worked illegally off the books. No less than $2000 and no more the $4000 refund for each year. . .up to ten years of rewards for not being legal.

P.T.CHESHIRE