New to me '74 R795ST

FNG to the forum, recently purchased said truck, it's in really good shape, with 344k miles. Taking my time learning all the little particulars with it. I have no brake lights on tractor. It has blinkers and caution lights, but zero brake/marker lights. I need a heater blower motor. It's got the v8 with two stick 6 speed. Wet kit, set up for rgn trailer. I have a drop deck for it. Seems to run and drive great. Any experience and your input with anything on these old trucks will be great!

Thanks- Evan

I'll get out and grab some good pictures of it. I believe I'm going to have to run wires and actual new lights dedicated for the brake lights. There's only two wires running back there, just turn signal/ caution. The brake switch on treadle valve goes to firewall, and to pigtail for trailer. I'd say it was set up to have a trailer all the time haha. Oh well, it's a fun project, my 5 year old daughter won't let it get out of the driveway without her in the passenger seat. I've read this forum for a bit now, figured I'd better get involved and get some pointers from the pros. The engine/ trans seems bulletproof. It has air assist steering, not too fond of yet

Ok, update. Got new brake lights put on , wired new pigtail , and spliced into the brake and running light wiring. The truck had no wiring to the back for tail lights, only turn signals and hazards. I guess it was just meant to have a trailer behind it all the time, and things were a lot more relaxed back in the 70's compared to today.. I'll get pictures, going to have to get my wife to put them on here, I have no clue how to do it

• Like 1

I swear I'll get some pictures of it on here... One day.. I have them on my phone, and have to get them to a computer to post them I guess. I'm a moron with technology. My better half is sick, so when she gets better ill get it figured out. Id like to re do the dash in it, it needs some tlc. Also, it has the square Farr air cleaner on it, thinking of changing it out to a Donaldson type, any ideas, thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks - Evan

My five year old wanted to take the Mack for a ride yesterday. It was a nice day out so we made a few laps... I have been thinking, I know that parts are gettin scarce for these engines. Now mine runs great, but I'm thinking down the road... Would a 3408 fit under the hood? Ive got no intentions of ever changing this engine until the 865 lays down, but still , would it work? I've always loved v8 engines. Y'all are experts,

Thanks

- Evan

My five year old wanted to take the Mack for a ride yesterday. It was a nice day out so we made a few laps... I have been thinking, I know that parts are gettin scarce for these engines. Now mine runs great, but I'm thinking down the road... Would a 3408 fit under the hood? Ive got no intentions of ever changing this engine until the 865 lays down, but still , would it work? I've always loved v8 engines. Y'all are experts,

Thanks

- Evan

are parts any better to find for those ? Sure more expensive I'd bet by far

• Like 1

Back in black pulling- thanks a ton for the info! I'm going to add that to my go to guides.

Super dog - thanks for the quick response! I am in west Kentucky coal country. 3408's are pretty plentiful around here. Both mining and Haulin applications. Our local cat dealers are top notch to work with, and I have several contacts with older experienced mechanics with cat. I can get my hands on different engines, and have several, one being an 855 cummins. I always liked the sound of a 3408 working, and have ran several in drills and loaders. I just want yalls expert opinion on a good back up engine for the truck. It'll be used for farm hauling hay, and equipment. I have a 225 excavator. My friends have told me they want me to help haul their machines up to 50 tons

Thank you superdog, I feel that old engine is solid. I just like to think ahead... I certainly appreciate all y'all helping me with my truck. I've never seen so much helpful knowledge on one site. I can prob get my hands on a silver 92 just to have hangin around in case of emergencies.

I know I probobally overwhelm you all with questions, but my head is full of them... I like soaking all this in, it's how I learn. Now.. It has the two stick 6 speed, I don't have an issue with it, but for my uses, is there a better choice? Hills, mining pits, mud ect?

• 1 month later...