Restorable Rusting REO?

NY-B61

Found this iron soldier when I was out today. Anything can be restored if you have the time and money. Or money and time.

Other BMT'rs and I often ask "How restorable is it?" about Mack's and other makes of older heavy trucks. I apologize in advance for the picture quality, but I wanted to throw two questions out there and see the education that results from people who would know. The answers might be helpful to both soon-to-be and first-time owners like myself.

A.) Is this REO, in the condition shown, worth restoring to plain old, road-driveable condition?

B.) What do you think it would cost to put it back in to plain old, road-driveable condition?

That's it. No hooks or gimmicks except personal labor doesn't count, because how do you assign a value? What's the cost of a labor of love? Etc., etc. I think it's a fair stipulation. Other than that, the gate's open!

post-15438-0-97753500-1421455904_thumb.j

post-15438-0-45691300-1421455932_thumb.j

post-15438-0-98935100-1421455956_thumb.j

post-15438-0-37441900-1421455992_thumb.j

post-15438-0-80309800-1421456012_thumb.j

post-15438-0-79586700-1421456029_thumb.j

post-15438-0-50578000-1421456079_thumb.j

post-15438-0-54174500-1421456101_thumb.j

post-15438-0-96770800-1421456128_thumb.j

post-15438-0-15378000-1421456148_thumb.j

post-15438-0-88350100-1421456168_thumb.j

post-15438-0-33313100-1421456188_thumb.j

post-15438-0-89902200-1421456212_thumb.j

post-15438-0-89428900-1421456245_thumb.j

I have a 1965 REO Model D-630. It is a long wheelbase tandem V-8 440 cu.in. REO engine,5X3 trans. Sheet metal is decent. Although I like the Lansing Cab REO'S they do not have a lot of $$$ value. Some of the later REO gas engines had liners.They were good trucks in their day. My REO is worth more in scrap than in resale. Just my opinion. Joe D.

• Like 1

Actually for what it is it looks pretty solid. Glass is all flat so it's cheap. Make a good hot rod. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Just my .02,but that truck looks too far gone to me to restore,unless it had some sentimental/family history probably not worth doing. And like most restorations,you could put upwards of $50K in it,and still end up with something worth $5.............just sayin' Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

"Reminds me of my B20. Brakes probably shot, wiring definitely shot, every rubber item petrified, snow on the dash so it is likely the gauges no good, switches no good, engine seized, and on and on. Could invest a fortune and risk losing interest along the way...."

That is a great answer. :clap: How many first-timers, all with good intentions, have lost interest along the way once they realized the corresponding investment in time and money? Or money and time? I have a partially completed FC-170 in the garage left over from when I was deciding whether to make the leap to a real truck. I have no interest in completing it, but it's kept the garage full for four years! :lol:

I have gone this way restoring pre war packards by the time you bring it back from the dead you will have enough into it you could have bought one with minimal cash and achieved the same result unless you want the satisfaction of bringing something back from the dead. I have done it both ways and now that Im quite a bit older and somewhat wiser I choose the way of least resistance but its your money and time so choose whatever way you wish good luck.

i like it....drove a 1960 reo when i was 20,,had a gas job,,,and a 4x3 2 stick,for a short while nice memory,s,,,,personally i think thier cool..... if your interested in the truck ,,,go for it,,,who cares about $$$$$$$ have a ball...bob

• Like 1

I have gone this way restoring pre war packards by the time you bring it back from the dead you will have enough into it you could have bought one with minimal cash and achieved the same result unless you want the satisfaction of bringing something back from the dead. I have done it both ways and now that Im quite a bit older and somewhat wiser I choose the way of least resistance but its your money and time so choose whatever way you wish good luck.

Your not the gentleman who bought my pair of 1939 Packard / Henney limos about 10 years ago? They went to the Chicago area. They were complete but all the wood was gone.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

IS IT WORTH IT? That's up to you. This would not be a tough one if you go into the project with the understanding that you're going to have to touch every nut, bolt, and screw on the truck. I think you have to ask yourself, do I have the time? This one will take some time. Do I have the space and tools to do it with? What part of the restoration are you going to pay someone else to do? Can you do it all? From metal fabrication to paint to mechanical repairs. Is the truck complete? How many parts are you going to have to find? And probably most important, to what level of restoration are you considering? Like new original or get it running and put a little paint on it. The big out of pocket cost is having to pay someone else to do the work. As a good friend used to say," If it will cast a shadow it can be restored". Hope to see it running in a couple of years. This one would be a labor of love on your part.

• Like 1

I'm with Dan. If you WANT to do it, do it. Just for the labor of love if that is what makes you tick. If you have the cash, the place and the time it is all up to you.

Granted, like any restoration it is always cheaper to just buy something running from someone that got "tired of it".

By the looks, the body will be the worst part(like finding headlight buckets), beside getting the engine running. Other then moss, the frame looks pretty clean.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"