General lovers and JTFormula

85snowdog

Snow dog: if you strike out I think Moses Lake truck sales has a complete hood w/grill and I'm sure a 8v92 or 10, hope you can find something closer than Washington St., but if not I can put you in contact with them.

The truck looks a lot better than my superliner did when I got it, good luck!

Rob

• Like 1

we have an 85 General small sit in sleeper that still has metric gages. The door says Canadian Dare Devils. Owner told us that the truck pulled the "wall of death" for the motorcycle team. It needs paint but we have started restoring it. Its a B.C. 3 Cummins 13 speed Rockwell 3.90s on Reyco. I can try to send you pics if youre interested. Truck runs and drives very good. And that's not a sales pitch

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

In 88 it should have been a silver engine; am sure they probably checked it out good before removing but silver 92's weren't bad about spinning bearings; might had slipper bearings go out & seize cylinder kits; they had recall on them back then that wasn't advertised to good

• Like 1

Once in a while,I've seen some 8V-92TA's on the Gov. Liquidations website. They're surplus.Some have very little or no hours on them. Probably alright for a hobby truck. Bad news is,they're usually at least 1000 miles from wherever you're at(+ 1000 miles if in Canada)! They don't go for real big $$$$,but again they are down here in the lower 48,sorry! Al

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

In 88 it should have been a silver engine; am sure they probably checked it out good before removing but silver 92's weren't bad about spinning bearings; might had slipper bearings go out & seize cylinder kits; they had recall on them back then that wasn't advertised to good

Once in a while,I've seen some 8V-92TA's on the Gov. Liquidations website. They're surplus.Some have very little or no hours on them. Probably alright for a hobby truck. Bad news is,they're usually at least 1000 miles from wherever you're at(+ 1000 miles if in Canada)! They don't go for real big $$$$,but again they are down here in the lower 48,sorry! Al

Its not my truck. Its my buddys. I just offered to help because I'm a little shy of $$$$$$ for my Crap projects. So this is the best way to get my truck fix. So I don't know a lot about it.

But by the look of things though, It looks like its an '85. So I don't think it would be a silver 92.

Its interesting Al, you called it a 8V-92TA……. That's what's on the line setting ticket.

post-17364-0-86073800-1420539804_thumb.j

Keith 

Silver 92's came out in 81,82; TA means turbo & aftercooled it's got a cooler under the blower; it will have a water pipe coming out in front of blower going to left side lower thermostat housing; easiest way to tell drop oil pan; if main bearing requires a 15/16 12 point to get down its a silver engine; or get serial number off the block; right side; could be in the back by airbox covers or up front more toward top of block; I have seen some green ones painted silver!!

• Like 2

Keith,

I looked last night on govliquidation.com and there is a rebuilt 8V-92TA (0hrs.) in a nice enclosed crate up for auction. It is in Ft. Riley,Kansas.Goes up for auction in a few days. FYI Al

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

The truck looks good for as long as it sat. An other place for DD parts is Marine yards, the 8 V 92 engines were used in a crap load of boats from pleasure to commercial boats. Cammed different for a narrow power band but that is about all. Most all cooled with a stand alone fresh water system and a fresh to salt heat exchange. Just FYI for an option for parts. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE