Self-sealing drain clog?

RowdyRebel

Kitchen sink quit draining...been messing with it since Thursday night. Run the snake 25' through the line, and the sink still fills up. Finally had enough & made a cut 14' from the sink...ran the snake backwards all of the way up into the sink. Wrapped about a dozen short pieces of bailing wire around the end of the snake to make a wire brush and then pulled it through the line. Removed a pretty sizable glob of goo...

post-1673-0-16302600-1416106731_thumb.jp

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

...so you'd THINK if I turned on the water, it'd flow out the drain pipe into the crawl space where I had cut it, right? WRONG! Sink filled up again. So I went back down there with the saw & cut the line over by the wall where it comes down from up above. Couldn't have placed the cut better...right through the clog, with about an inch of it still blocking the drain. It was enough that the water in the sink didn't push it out until I was done cutting and out of the way...then it puked and drained the sink.

post-1673-0-95065100-1416107117_thumb.jp

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

How the hell did that much crap get in there, remember its easier to bury the bodies than to clean the drain after the disposal makes its mess.

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I think it was greatly restricted, but still flowing...'til the tater peelings got sent through the disposal by the wife's aunt on Thursday. SHOULD be good to go for a while now, and in about 20 minutes or so we'll check to see if the glue joints are leaking...and if they aren't, call it a night.

BTW, the clog was right where the 1-1/2" pipe coming down from the sink opens up into a 2" run across the width of the house (27') before bending down again to join into the main line out. In other words, when the pipe opens, the velocity of the water slows and allows sediment to settle...and over time that builds up. That's the theory I'm going with, anyway...

• Like 1

Had a plumber give me a tip once- If you are in an old house that still has cast iron DWV pipes, and your sink (or whatever else) is running slow......Boil up a big pot of water and pour it down the offending drain. The temp of the water is enough to beat the crap out of a lot of scum/grease/etc. But he was careful to point out not to do it if you have PVC DWV pipes- the 21 degree water will melt glue joints.

Oh, he also said "don't chew your fingernails" whatever that means.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I'm surprised the good old plumbers helper couldn't move it. Usually the more blocked the drain the quicker the plunger moves it. (Like the small farm animal that seems to come out of the shower drain every time it slows aka the DW's hair)

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• Do not dump any kind of grease/oil in sink
  • tater peelings go in the garbage
  • disposal is only designed for food scraps on plates
  • tell Aunt stay the hell out of kitchen

Or, you could get your aunt to start a compost pile for you and put the potato peelings, coffee grounds, etc. in it- it's good for your garden. I don't even peel my potatoes most of the time, I just scrub then good with a vegetable brush under running water, and cut out any bad places I see. And I don't chew my fingernails.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

There is a vent between where the clog was and the sink. I swear whoever built this house did a crappy job. Not very well...nothing makes sense on how or why they did anything. Heck, in the 2nd bathroom the sink wasn't getting hot water. Tub had it, just not the sink. When I crawled under there to try to figure it out, BOTH lines to the sink were tapped into the SAME cold water line to the tub, albeit about 10' apart on the line. That was an easy enough fix, though. Other thing that drives me nuts here is other than where I've got around to adding them, nothing in the house had a shut-off valve. ANY plumbing work on the supply side of the system requires turning off the water at the meter.

BTW, the clog was right where the 1-1/2" pipe coming down from the sink opens up into a 2" run across the width of the house (27') before bending down again to join into the main line out. In other words, when the pipe opens, the velocity of the water slows and allows sediment to settle...and over time that builds up. That's the theory I'm going with, anyway...

your on to it here all drains must, hang on I will use bigger letters MUST have a constant fall and I do mean constant fall, and any change in fall MUST have a inspection point a blockage will always happen were there is a change in fall anyway sounds like you have it by the balls now happy draining

Paul

• Like 1

Boiling water down the drain?? Shit that happens just about evey night in my house when we pour the macaroni through the colander! I guess thats why we Italians don't have drain troubles! And any oil left over I save in gallon jugs and burn it in my waste oil heater it burns better then motor oil!

BULLHUSK

• Like 2

I have a tool for that-

attachicon.gifshears1.jpg

Get the optional laser sight, helps with them f a r a w a y toe nails.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE