Not easily. The original Stewart Warner/Mack gauges are flash chromed and flash chrome can be crimped without making a mess. Gauge rebuilding shops have special tools that make it look easy without damaging the bezel.

Flash chrome can't be done on parts with any pits or imperfections. If there is any rust on them, the will need to be chemically stripped then copper, nickle, and then chrome. All the layers usually don't crimp well. So it is a little bit of a gamble.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Find new gauges if at all possible. The cost of plating anything almost always exceeds the cost of a new item. A friend took some items to his plater in Philly with the question "How many 7-11's do I need to rob to pay for this?" The owner left the room and returned with a map of Philly and said "All of them."

There are folks who specialize in gauge restoration if you absolutely have to keep the originals. Look in Hemmings or on-line. Be prepared to trade your first born in payment.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I use REDLINE Gauge Works in Santa Clarita, California quite alot and they were reasonable. They redid my gauge cluster for my 1941 Chevy, cleaned, recalibrated, new faces and repainted needles ran $500 for 4 gauges and a speedometer. Also did the cluster for my 1951 Ford Victoria, new chrome bezels with glass, restored the faces, converted ALL the gauges to 12 volt and and changed the speedometer to 140 mph, amp gauge to volts and oil pressure to a 80 psi gauge. About $400 and change. I'm sending the cluster from my 1970 Hurst Chrysler 300 to have it redone and the speedo up graded to CHIP 160 mph specs

Call for info 1 661 259 8891

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I use REDLINE Gauge Works in Santa Clarita, California quite alot and they were reasonable. They redid my gauge cluster for my 1941 Chevy, cleaned, recalibrated, new faces and repainted needles ran $500 for 4 gauges and a speedometer. Also did the cluster for my 1951 Ford Victoria, new chrome bezels with glass, restored the faces, converted ALL the gauges to 12 volt and and changed the speedometer to 140 mph, amp gauge to volts and oil pressure to a 80 psi gauge. About $400 and change. I'm sending the cluster from my 1970 Hurst Chrysler 300 to have it redone and the speedo up graded to CHIP 160 mph specs

Call for info 1 661 259 8891

wow that is pretty fair for a perfect job,,on original parts .nice to know my guages are pretty good shape..bob

they are mostly Stewart Warner gauges. you can find them all on ebay all the time. just have to find the right one. compare the 1/4 and 1/2 and 3/4 ad your amp meter and air and oil gauges with the ones on ebay. should be able to get most of them unless you want the original bulldog logo speedo and tach

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken to trying to take my original gauges apart.The bezels weren't that bad to undo.I had to do this to cleanup the faces of the gauges.Will post some pics when I'm done.

Don't forget to tell us how to do it too.. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

It's not the best picture but you tell the difference between a before and after.After I cleanup the bezel with asome emery paper I used some silver paint on it.I am thinking about cutting a peice of plexie glass and make new lenses.Let me hear some comments.Good bad or otherwise.

post-628-0-87783800-1417380111_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It looks like day and night!! If they have a glass lens, you can polish it with NOVUS #2 cleaner / polish. A good hardware store would have it. It's similar to the old Glaswax

P.T.CHESHIRE

It's not the best picture but you tell the difference between a before and after.After I cleanup the bezel with asome emery paper I used some silver paint on it.I am thinking about cutting a peice of plexie glass and make new lenses.Let me hear some comments.Good bad or otherwise.

Looks awesome!!! Nice job

I would try buffing out the glass on a buffing wheel. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Plexi will eventually yellow.

A glass shop could probably cut new ones at a minimal cost.

Nice job!

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!