fuel tanks

mack mhe9

Thought it was going to be an easy week till the pass side fuel tank started to leak from under the strap.

didn't see any corrosion. Well the last guy cleaned it up and put some kind of epoxy under the straps. Pulled it all apart had strip welded in then had them rhino lined.

All the step brackets were rusted out under the straps. Cut the top ones apart and welded in stainless strip.

not so east on the bottom so I sand blasted them an dunked them in por15.

Made the front step bracket out of 3/16 aluminum. New rubber blocks up front and coated all the metal. A lot of BS so it doesn't rust apart in a year.

post-2708-0-11981900-1415626398_thumb.jp

post-2708-0-10468500-1415626380_thumb.jp

post-2708-0-04507600-1415626360_thumb.jp

I don't take mine out in the Winter because of the liquid salt and who knows what else spread on the roads. Rust is the enemy.

Great work on the fuel tank and great pictures! Jim's right, you might have started something. Wonder if it's feasible to do the same to the the frame and suspension on a truck.

I agree. I think the stuff they apply to the roads here in Upstate NY is specifically formulated at the factory to rot metal and plastic. There's never a shortage of REALLY BIG! car sales occurring. Stainless lines and fittings should be mandatory from a safety perspective alone, although that would negate part of the planned obsolescence package that come standard with every new vehicle you purchase. You won't find fittings made of pig iron and hydraulic lines made of PEX or tin foil on an aircraft, for example. And it's not as if the connection between salts, metals and corrosion hasn't been known for some time. But I like my Bang & Olufsen heated GPS unit that automatically positions itself to give me directions in Mandarin. :pat:

I think upstate ny is especially bad. they were out last week on I90 with full iron on, meanin front plows and wing. WTF?!!! its been 60 degrees out. must be the are makin sure everyone knows their route. I know a few guys that plow for the state. they have been buyin Mack Granites for state bid for about 3-4 years now. they NEVER wash them. some eve have the spreaders that spread between the frame rails... who the hell thought that was a good idea?? have heard some of the older s series Internationals and the first batch of Mack Granites will sit in the hanger and all of sudden start leakin gear oil from the trans and rear ends... they are so covered in salt, its rotting right thru the transmission cases and rear end housings. what a joke. I have seen it 40 degrees out and they are sprayin liquid ice melt along with rock salt down so thick you would swear it was freezing rain out, making Longhorn Trucking and Capital district salt lots of money....

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I think upstate ny is especially bad. they were out last week on I90 with full iron on, meanin front plows and wing. WTF?!!! its been 60 degrees out. must be the are makin sure everyone knows their route. I know a few guys that plow for the state. they have been buyin Mack Granites for state bid for about 3-4 years now. they NEVER wash them. some eve have the spreaders that spread between the frame rails... who the hell thought that was a good idea?? have heard some of the older s series Internationals and the first batch of Mack Granites will sit in the hanger and all of sudden start leakin gear oil from the trans and rear ends... they are so covered in salt, its rotting right thru the transmission cases and rear end housings. what a joke. I have seen it 40 degrees out and they are sprayin liquid ice melt along with rock salt down so thick you would swear it was freezing rain out, making Longhorn Trucking and Capital district salt lots of money....

I thought CT was bad. They only put ice treatment down when a storm is near. They at least wash their trucks and have the guys paint them when there is nothing to do.

• Like 1

Matt

The Rhino Lining works a friend of mine did his tanks on his Western Star Low Max a few years ago because they were leaking so he got patches welded on them then Rhino Lined the tanks and wrapped them in Stainless Steel leaving the ends exposed they look pretty good and the Rhino Lining keeps the aluminum sealed up and the ends from being beat up. I was thinking if coating the back ends of mine because they're pitted a bit

Looks like a job well done :twothumbsup:

Being quite in a distance from PA I also concerned with the same generic trouble.

Both steel tanks on my MH seem to be leaky from under the straps.

I wouldn't mention it as enormal although at least one steel tank of my 1945 WW2 Mack truck was solid.

Being parked outside at least since 1983.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

The lining idea is not good on frames. They did that on my r model and everywhere it gets chipped the water and salt gets in and it stays there. I've been scraping it off everywhere it comes loose.They covered everything under the truck with it and I hate it.