MACK E Tech

dondiesel444

You do have to remember your running a 12 liter now not a 14 liter, that being said they can be made to run well. First don't run it wide open, if its an 01 its only an 1800rpm engine, not a 2100rpm engine. You also don't have to stick with the Mack 400-427-460 ratings, I'm not sure why but it seems no one thinks you can do anything aftermarket but you can. Rochester Fuel Injection has a turbo, injectors and computer programming. I'm sure Antrim Diesel can do things for the etech engines too.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

A 13 speed won't help much. I changed my 9 to a13 and it didn't help. I've had my 2000 Ch 400 for 9 years and it's always been sick on the hills. Mack told me there was nothing you could do to it. That's why I run my R model. The 350 runs circles around the 400.

Hated my 01 etech 400 9spd I sold it. Yes Antrin Diesel can help as well as Rochester, like 84SD said. Just picked up a 01 etech 460 and like it a lot better then the 400. I always thought my elf that a 13 or 18 spd would help, you could split the gear without holding the engine at 1400 on a long pull just building heat cause your to high on the gear to down shift. Good luck.

• Like 1

I have a 99 cl713 with 460 etech and 18 speed, and I too am continually dissapointed with power. I use the truck as a lowboy tractor, and very rarely gross over 90k and it is terrified of hills, the jake brake switch has to be off because it's impossible to shift with it on, and the transmission is tight so you have to be Johnny on the spot with every shift or you will be starting over. My old 3406b 400 will pull circles around this truck, and it has 1.2 million on the engine.

I worked my 2000 etech 400 with a stock 427 turbo, superflow injectors. They told me those injectors and turbo would give me around 490, and I believe them. This truck has no problems on hills, water temp hits 210 on hard pulls. I out pull a friend with a 525 cat on hills. Stock cam, no computer work done. If your worried about the miles, drop the pan and do at least rods and mains. Running a 8LL, but only grossing 73,280.

• Like 1

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

We had an issue with our e7 400. Didn't seem to have power on hills like you say turned the pump up about 10% and still didn't think it pulled like it should. We checked fuel lines etc and checked fuel pressure which was a little low. There is a check valve in our pump that they said is supposed to hold the fuel pressure we took the plug and the spring out and put a small ball bearing behind it to compress the spring more and it seemed to help a lot. I'm sure some guys on here know more about it than me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got ecm back with a 100hp tune on my 01 427. Just ran Saturday but has improved sluggishness and boost comes up quicker and higher than before. Seems to have quite a bit more staying power on the rolling hills that I was on. Time will tell if it was a good investment or not. Keeping my fingers crossed for now.

I watch it pretty close has been hovering real close to 7 since I bought it in May. Have just run little over 500 miles since the reflash. First check was 6.9 if that holds will be great because it pulls about same as my previous truck wich was a 525 N14 this one has 3.73 rears and previous truck was 3.55 so the lower gears are making up for the smaller displacement. All in all I'm happy with power now. if this hadn't worked I'm pretty sure the dog was going to find a new home but not now.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got ecm back with a 100hp tune on my 01 427. Just ran Saturday but has improved sluggishness and boost comes up quicker and higher than before. Seems to have quite a bit more staying power on the rolling hills that I was on. Time will tell if it was a good investment or not. Keeping my fingers crossed for now.

Edited by dondiesel444