New Meaning of MH

farmer52

• 1 month later...

They're back!!!! I was replacing the tractor parking valve this morning and noticed the damn mice were chewing on some wipes under the driver's seat. I checked the storage compartments and dang if the bastards didn't build a BIG f'in' nest (about the size of a cantalope) within six (6) inches of the cab fresh. The nest looks like fiberglas insulation in addition to the blue wipes. I did not see any evidence of mice in the trailer but I am quite sure they will find a way inside the trailer. What is interesting, I did not see any damage to the mattress. Hmmm! What else can I do short of some lead pellets (but I have to see the little varmits first)? Moth balls and cab fresh are not working. I was told Downy sheets might work. HELP!

Note to Ron: so much for mice taking care of the spiders. I think they are living in sin. And it is a conspiracy.

post-3289-0-72529500-1410191126_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I buy it at our Case IH dealer. We've been using it for years. Good stuff. I've got the same problem with my MH. I don't think it's currently inhabited, but Mike said they got in the mattress. Any ideas on how to get that old stale mouse smell out?

I use Bac-Out Stain and Odor Eliminator from Bio Kleen. since every old truck I get has or had mice in them. It's an Enzyme based cleaner that neutralizes the mouse pee smell. I get it on line from http://www.swansonvitamins.com/

But any enzyme based odor eliminator will work. Hit Wal Mart or a pet supply for a pet odor eliminating product. that is enzyme based.

Ken a mouse will get in if there is a hole Dime sized or larger. Use a mouse trap or the sticky glue traps or last resort. . . Elmir Fudd and a Putty Tat.

Otherdog, we got them rascally ground hogs here, my Bassets love them...UmmmUm. Squires no problem, it's Raccoons that are the problem, must have shot 15 or 20 of the so far this year, and still they come.

Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

All that above is too interesting and funny to read about when have no such a problem.

My MH has been sitting for a while with no hubs and wheels (and no move).

By the way I took apart the pedal assembly and the steering column foundation to paint over.

Since that there's a hole in the floor and the neighbour's cat used to spend time slipping on the driver's seat.

I was angry seeing all the wool he lost on the seat although now I got another mind on that fact :rolleyes:

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I have used dryer sheets in the past and they either work or it's a coincidence that the problem stopped around the same time. I thought it was the perfume scent but your little buddies don't seem to mind.

My question is: What the hell have you done on that mattress that the mice won't touch it? Whatever it was (no need for details) you need to do it all over the truck, no matter how long it might take, because apparently it works.

I bought four (4) sticky boards and put one in each compartment (one on top of the last nest), one behind the driver's seat, and one on the passenger floor. I will also get some dryer sheets and place inside in addition to the cab fresh and the moth balls are going back in too.

As for the mattress....maybe I should contact Martin's Pastry.....but wait....maybe....just maybe.....(see pic).

post-3289-0-45939500-1410217212.jpg

• Like 2

Ken

Checked this moring...so far no varmits in the traps. I bought some Downy sheets and spread generously about the cab, sleeper, and trailer. Now it smells like a whore house at Christmas. And don't ask me how I know how one smells. :whistling:

BTW, I learned a chipmonk/ground squirrel can't swim. One was in the down spout this morning. I blocked it off and poured water down the spout. :twothumbsup:

Ken

When I have an issue I use a regular mouse trap with peanut butter sitting in the middle of the floor that usually takes care of it. Check it a few times during the week, once you get them usually don't get any more for awhile mostly during seasonal changes. I also try not to leave anything in the cabs that they may want to chew on, all the registration, insurance and other paper and stuff comes in the house.

When I brought home my F Model last winter/fall a husband and wife team were living in the passenger seat the shopvac got them out in no time. Turned em loose in the tall grass but I think the neighbors cat got them since she patrols the area and all my outside stuff real good. Or they took the hint and moved on because have not seen them back since.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

No mice in the heater box under the passenger seat. I looked there to make sure there was no nest. I did see a few turds inside the center dash when I replaced the valve. I use a regular trap with peanut butter in the farmhouse basement. Worth a try. Wonder how the combination of moth balls, cab fresh pine, Downy, and peanut butter smells?

Ken

No mice in the heater box under the passenger seat. I looked there to make sure there was no nest. I did see a few turds inside the center dash when I replaced the valve. I use a regular trap with peanut butter in the farmhouse basement. Worth a try. Wonder how the combination of moth balls, cab fresh pine, Downy, and peanut butter smells?

Just like Taco Bell ?

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 3 weeks later...

Arrived at the farm earlier this evening. Checked the MH and the DAMN mouse was at it again. Nothing in the trap (with peanut butter) or the sticky traps. However fresh mouse turds on the mattress and the DAMN mouse RUINED my Mack Ultraliner jacket (which was previously untouched). Under the driver's seat were a stickly trap, cab fresh, and a Downy sheet. The mouse shredded the Downy sheet which was on top of the sticky trap and also some napkins on top of the dash. I removed the mattress and NOTHING other than turds not even any damage to the moving blanket on the mattress. So I started checking the stowage compartments. In the drivier's side compartment in one of my boxes was a NEW nest with more fiberglass insulation and the mouse was in there with three (3) little ones. Well the box got tossed on the ground, mama mouse is wounded (went scurrying limping off under the rear of the truck) but the little ones...well they did not survive (sniff sniff). So far Farmer 3, Mouse 1 MIA. The hunt will continue on Tuesday when I return.

BTW, great bunch of trucks at Winchester (stopped for a few hours on Friday) and a great show at Trucktoberfest today (Saturday).

Ken

Ken did you read the label on the fresh cab? if I remember right its one bag per 7 cubic foot, and you probably have 70 cubic feet in that cab so 10 bags! .................doubt you can stay in the cab with that many! :whistling: sorry to hear the little bastards are back. :thumbsdown: may be time to repower with a cat :tease: :that will keep em away :loldude:

I have found that dogs are better mousers than cats. I had a Dalmatian that started with possums then destroyed the mouse and rat population and in boredom started hunting birds and stray cats. The advantage of having several dogs is they can hunt in a pack and take down nastier animals that will not leave of there own accord.

Thats why I have two german shepherds, theyll pretty much come out on top of anything they get into.......four legged or two legged!

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Ken did you read the label on the fresh cab? if I remember right its one bag per 7 cubic foot, and you probably have 70 cubic feet in that cab so 10 bags! .................doubt you can stay in the cab with that many! :whistling: sorry to hear the little bastards are back. :thumbsdown: may be time to repower with a cat :tease: :that will keep em away :loldude:

Cab Fresh...one under the passenger seat, one under the driver's seat, and one in each compartment. Little bastard bitch chewed the downy sheet that was on top of the sticky trap which was next to the cab fresh bag. I don't know how to get any closer.

The box where I found the nest was next to the sticky trap and cab fresh. Can't get much closer.

Ken

The saga continues only getting more serious.

Been busy the past several weeks and loaded the MH last night (Wednesday). Early this morning I did my "pretrip" and noticed the RH headlights were not working. Long story short...the summ beaches chewed at least two (2) wires where they go into the cab. Did some looking and could not determine where they are in the cab. So, I will not be bringing the MH/trailer to Gerhart's. I instead moved all my "stuff" from the MH to my little red wagon...Chevy HHR. I am in Akron at the hotel and will be at Gerhart's on Friday afternoon. Hopefully Ron or others will be familiar with the headlight wiring and where to locate it inside the cab. I need help with not only the wiring but how to ELIMINATE the varmints and keep them OUT!

When I get back to the farm...I am declaring WAR ON MICE!!!!! :angry::ninja:

Ken