R model rad opening molding

I found out something kinda interesting lately .

I ordered the rad opening molding for my newest addition. It was pretty rough and I couldn't reverse them because the back side is worse than the front.

Mack/Volvo sent me the lower chrome piece, 3 clips and a roll of black rubber. The black rubber replaces the 2 side chrome pieces.

My local Mack dealer was very helpful, but said they couldn't get the chrome pieces. I thought it must be possible so I contacted Watts , again, a very friendly ,helpful person told me they could not get the chrome pieces, I would have to get the rubber. He said he wouldn't recommend it though, if I wanted to stay original. I agreed.

So cherish your rad opening chrome moldings, they will be worth a lot soon!

Keith

Keith 

2stack, it is the trim piece that goes on the hood opening for the rad . They come in 3 pieces, bottom and 2 sides and clips for each jointpost-17364-0-74981800-1401267452_thumb.j

I'm going to use the moldings from my plow ( don't see them anyway, their behind the plow harness)

Maddog13407, that is a great idea ! Looks like these parts could be worth a lot one day.

Guess I have to accept the fact my R's are old.

• Like 2

Keith 

That moulding was recently avalible from PAI.

I bought it new but can´t remember now from Watts or PAI.

Probably the PAI one and it was good.

Keep a look on evil bay also, I noted such a stuff couple of times there.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

the reason the black rubber came to be was the new hoods were somewhat cut a little different and the stainless ones wouldn't fit the new hood if you haze to replace the hood get a jones hood and it will fit fine but yes vlad is right they are avalible threw pai

• Like 1

That moulding was recently avalible from PAI.

I bought it new but can´t remember now from Watts or PAI.

Probably the PAI one and it was good.

Keep a look on evil bay also, I noted such a stuff couple of times there.

the reason the black rubber came to be was the new hoods were somewhat cut a little different and the stainless ones wouldn't fit the new hood if you haze to replace the hood get a jones hood and it will fit fine but yes vlad is right they are avalible threw pai

Thanks for the great info guys! It looks like I might be in luck with PAI . They recognize the mack part # on the computer. But I will feel better if I actually talk to someone there.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks everyone for your help,and for this site . Makes working on old Macks fun, not frustrating, because your not sure of something.

• Like 1

Keith 

I hope you can see the difference in this pic.

What a beautiful truck storkmack!!!!

If my new addition turns out half as nice as yours I will be happy.

And your right, would never miss the trim when its cleaned up properly. GOOD JOB!

Keith 

whats the deal with Pai? they have a catalog? do you have to be a dealer to order or can any of us order from them? jw

I went to there website and put in the Mack part #. It described the part. I don't know if anyone can get part there till I investigate a little more.

I will post info about it when I get it figured out. Seems like it could be a good resource for parts.

Keith 

Heres the PAI part # if anyone's interested: FGM-5795

The diagram shows it in them newer style hood but i assume its the same for all styles as it says R models where as the other parts say "late R models" so not sure. But they list all the different part #s for all the different years so.

• Like 2

Matt

Wanted to give you all an update on my moldings.

I found out PAI Canada is 1 hour from my house.I Called, they had it in stock. Now I have new trim for my rad opening.

They were very nice to deal with, and happy I found them.

In a case like this where Mack has stopped selling the parts, I would recommend them.

My first choice would still be genuine Mack. I compared the Mack trim to the PAI . Side by side you can see a slight difference .

Thanks Vlad, RW613 and 2stack for your info. Before this I had no idea I was so close to a valuable resource like PAI

Keith

• Like 1

Keith 

I have a buddy that recently took on the PAI line at his parts house because of the demand and lack of VOLVO's enthusiasm for the :bulldog1:! My BCR has several PAI parts on it.Had to return some stuff,but they made good on it all.

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA