My Summer Project... MH

Even us Central and Eastern Canadians have no idea why everything is so expensive out West.....

Keep up the good work. I can imagine restoring and domiciling a rig out West is a lot harder on the pocket book.

Great work so far. Looks fresh and new. I remember mine 4 yrs ago when I stretched it. Now the POR 15 has faded to dull black and it looks all worn out again.

At least you have LARGE outside work area. Mine was all done in a single car garage stall. Going outside was needed if you had to change your mind about something.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

last update for "my summer project".... labour day was the target stop date, got to get back to my Scenicruiser coach project....

got the alum wheels cleaned up, not polished for now as I will do that later and I need to pick up two tires.

I took a look at my troublesome clutch one more time, can now confirm that the front disk is firmly stuck to the centre plate... got to pull the trans... oh, well.... it was always on 'the plan' but I thought I would luck out.

pulled the fuel tanks, batt boxes (one is toast) and air tanks.... and got the cross-over exhaust off.... all this was next years work, so, bonus.

ran the engine one last time, used new fuel from a jerry can and let the return line drain to a bucket, so it's stored with good fuel.

now.. I've got a question for you guys.......

the last pic is of a Swiss based RC2 back in the day... take note of the spare tire carrier behind the fuel tank, very common to see this on UK or EU trucks, no "call the tire service" back then, you brought a spare. Anyway, I want to carry a spare in this position which doubles for a step too, but I've no idea if it was ever a 'norm' in America. Has anyone any ideas apart from making from scratch, are they manufactured here and where can I buy one???

thanks for your support of my work and generous comments, it's not going to hit the road soon but when it does I want it clean, tidy and reliable, and that takes lots of work.

BC Mack

Edited by BC Mack
  • Like 2

Scenic cruiser project?

Was at local junk yard the other weekend. Haven't been there in 25 yrs? It is all cleaned an organized now where back in the 80's it was a total disaster and cars stacked 3 tall. In the front corner, nearly covered in bushes was a well used up, parted out Scenic cruiser. Broke my heart. Got a pic on my phone, need to get it downloaded to post it here.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Nice to see the work done.

Those spare wheel carriers are pretty common in Europe and overhere.

I also like that idea to put one on.

Would be interesting to see your turn out although what the place are you going to put it on the frame?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

a pint can of KROIL penetrant will save you from pulling the trans unless you really want to pull it out . use a sprayer strong enough to get the oil all the way to the top of the clutch soak it down good and let it sit 3-4 days it will come loose

this was discussed.... http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/31081-v8-clutch-problems/

access is terrible, can barely get my fingertips in there and the front disk is just too hard to get at

BC Mack

Nice to see the work done.

Those spare wheel carriers are pretty common in Europe and overhere.

I also like that idea to put one on.

Would be interesting to see your turn out although what the place are you going to put it on the frame?

Vlad

coming from the UK I still can't understand why so few trucks carry a spare... maybe the steering wheel holders only know how to use a cellphone..!!!

as a hobby truck and being able to change my own tires, I figure the cost saving of one puncture will pay back the cost... I see some tires strapped to the headache rack, but cannot possibly lift a flat tire back up there all on my own...

I will install it in the same place as in the RC2 photo as that is the safest place to be for a roadside event... I did some measuring and it will be very tight between my 100gal tank and drive axle mudflap.. plan B would be to install a shorter tank, say 60gal, on the right side..

just an idea for now, will plan over time and install maybe next summer.

Gearhead offered a possible source or I may just get one from UK...whatever is more cost effective.

BC Mack

• Like 1

Scenic cruiser project?

Was at local junk yard the other weekend. Haven't been there in 25 yrs? It is all cleaned an organized now where back in the 80's it was a total disaster and cars stacked 3 tall. In the front corner, nearly covered in bushes was a well used up, parted out Scenic cruiser. Broke my heart. Got a pic on my phone, need to get it downloaded to post it here.

I have one of the few remaining "seated" coaches, about 25 still exist, that's all... getting a full restoration, started it in 2007 so it takes far more time than a truck due to the furnishings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G6s95Et6IY

if sometime you can locate the serial number on the scrapper (no U jokes please) we have a 'keeper of the records' who likes to know what still exists... about 200 still around of 1001 built mostly rv's or junk shells... pm me for location of stamping...

BC Mack

• Like 2

i am sure that you can worm a 1/4 in copper tube up through there hooked up to an air powered squirt can and blow about half of that pint of penetrant in it`ll be messy but it will work

OK... I'll give that a try... it's on "the list".... :twothumbsup:

I'll take the tension off the clutch to get a gap for it to flow into.... I assume the "oil" burns off and there won't be any slipping problems?

thanks

BC Mack

• 8 months later...