Just my personal opinion and observation,but I REALLY don't like this "rat-rod" trend in cars or trucks,while I can and do appreacieate all the work that goes into building a car or truck from scratch,but why have it look like this? Not trying to piss anybody off,just my .02..............................Mark

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Just my personal opinion and observation,but I REALLY don't like this "rat-rod" trend in cars or trucks,while I can and do appreacieate all the work that goes into building a car or truck from scratch,but why have it look like this? Not trying to piss anybody off,just my .02..............................Mark

I agree. Same with that yellow B model that was at that show TommyZ took those pics.....my pics are on my other computer....but it was stretched with giant black stacks that look like woodstove pipes......why would you do that to a B Model??????

• Like 1

I'm right with ya,Mark. Some people are using/butchering some nice original sheet metal to make these vehicles. I guess its just personal preference. I do like some of them. Dan, that motor looks like a 6BT Cummins from here.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

There is a guy in my area running around with some type 1940's 4-door sedan (un-identifiable) chopped so low your hand would barely fit through the window "slot" powered by (get this) a Big Cam 400 Cummins! damn thing looks dangerous to me,there is no way you could see past that engine while driving the way this thing sits!..............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Here's a few I've seen on the internet. Most I don't like the looks of and I sure hope a really good truck wasn't chopped up to make them,but I do appreciate the work and talent it took to put them together . If junkyard bound parts can be used to put an old Mack back on the road,at least in part,that's a good thing .

post-61-0-48695100-1394408343.jpg

post-61-0-19673200-1394408368_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-75630000-1394408391_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-64141800-1394408680_thumb.png

• Like 2

What I like about a rat rod is that all the effort goes into functionality, not into appearance.

I once read that, "Anyone can restore one; it takes a real man to cut one up."

That being said, I can't see cutting up a classic Mack. There just aren't enough of them left.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

looks like someone cut up a nice LT cab to make that first one. im with you guys, better than getting scrapped but I hate seeing good sheetmetal used for rat rods. this is a friend of mines. drove B models and R model all his life and rode all kinds of Harleys and is a Hells Angel so this truck kinda fits him. he is also about 4'9'' and recently bought a B65 Mack.

post-6-0-70387200-1394413048_thumb.png

post-6-0-01981800-1394413086_thumb.png

post-6-0-60471400-1394413125_thumb.png

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Yep that's sum 6BT Cummins power in a few of those. The last one Mike posted is a Mid TN truck, that thing is freakin awesome. The engineering in the suspension is pretty awesome,it was a junk truck and now it's back at shows so I'm cool with it. That truck has a tiny 290 sitting in the frame crooked and some great details all over.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The late Bob Brown had a hand in this one.Not really "Rat-Rodded" by definition,but tastefully done like the last few trucks he built. It had belonged to his nephew last I heard.

post-510-0-09765100-1394594421_thumb.jpg

post-510-0-10626300-1394594447_thumb.jpg

post-510-0-46199900-1394594681_thumb.jpg

post-510-0-81897000-1394594892_thumb.jpg

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

looks like someone cut up a nice LT cab to make that first one. im with you guys, better than getting scrapped but I hate seeing good sheetmetal used for rat rods. this is a friend of mines. drove B models and R model all his life and rode all kinds of Harleys and is a Hells Angel so this truck kinda fits him. he is also about 4'9'' and recently bought a B65 Mack.

This thing caught my eye at the Ballston Spa show last fall. As I was getting ready to leave, this guy pulled behind me and I had to go snoop around this thing.Think it's a 1940. I agree to an extent...chopping up an old truck that could have been restored is a cardinal sin, but if it was in tough shape and a guy could resurrect it within his means and budget, then what the heck. Either way, he's showing it and people enjoy it.

I was tickled talking to this guy...he is about 4' 9" tall. A Hell's Angel??? Huh, must not have any height restrictions.

He's an old-school rat-rodder through & through. He leaded the sheet metal like they used to do. He used actual Craftsman wrenches for brackets here and there, like to mount the visor. Just welded them to whatever, and never even wiped the arc flash off the welds, lol.

At the end of the day, you can't deny the effort put in, the engineering, craftsmanship, etc. to stay traditional. Not a Tackaberry piece by any means....but still cool.

I agree. Same with that yellow B model that was at that show TommyZ took those pics.....my pics are on my other computer....but it was stretched with giant black stacks that look like woodstove pipes......why would you do that to a B Model??????

Yeah, that yellow B is uncalled for. 10" stovepipes, must be 300" long...but the owner's as unique as the truck, so.....