Classic insurance for a not so classic truck?

I called Grundy insurance to add my General onto my current policy. I have 4 cars under classic insurance with them and thought I wouldn't have an issue. I spoke with the same girl I always speak with who has helped me in the past. This time she wasn't able to get it through. They said the GVW was too high and an 84 GMC General isn't considered a collectible. If I had a B model no problem since its old enough for them to consider it a classic and not being used for commercial use. I called Hagerty and they said the same thing.

I am stuck now without insurance. Who do you guys use and where can I get insurance without going for a commercial policy? Last time I checked commercial will run around $10k a year.

One of two things is going to happen. Either I have to find inexpensive insurance or I may have to sell it to buy an older truck. I can't see myself running it enough part time to cover the costs to get commercial insurance, registration, and DOT/MC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just got a quote from Gulfway for My 85 Pete. I only valued it for now at 5K, premium is $177 per year, I can pull a trailer and it lives outside. I've had them for my last 3 trucks also.

That's down right cheep,what are you covered for as far as liability?

Try JC Taylor in Upper Darby, Pa. They carry the FWD Firetruck.

You can also try Condon and Skelly in Maple Shade, NJ. I used to use them, but they switched underwriters and raised my rates without telling me, so I jumped ship. Other than that (which really pissed me off) I had no hiccups with them.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I have my B model thru America Collectors insurance, Cherry Hill Nj. been with them for 3 years and its cheap. my cousin was gonna put his 88 R model thru them and they were fine with it BUT the great State of Ny wouldn't do it Historical because it just turned 25. they made him wait til this year to register it.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I use USAA and have everything with them cars, pickups, house, trailers and my Macks.

They tried to send me to a historical affiliated insurance company and when I explained to them it was not a museum truck they asked for declared value and told them what I paid for them, told them they have historical plates and they said how much coverage I wanted since I have full coverage on them. I have both values set up 10k, They don't care if it is inside or outside.

I pay $158 for the R and $140 for the B with $100 deductibles for collision/comp, (I now keep the comp at $100 after buying a back window for my old suburban) it is only a few dollars difference. One time I was trying to save some money and changed all the deductibles to $500. Bad Idea after losing two windshields one in my pick up, one in the suburban and then the back glass. After everything was said and done spent close to $1500 in just one wintery month.

Try your regular insurance company and let them know it is a antique truck and not used for commercial use, I would have to think they would insure it.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

post-14723-0-13900000-1394209284_thumb.jI have the B Model along with three cars with JC Taylor in NJ which insures through Foremost in Michigan (along with other companies). I just got my renewal policy back yesterday. Attached is one of the declaration pages which is interesting. It raises a lot questions which usually aren't asked until there is a problem.

Guys Any opinions on this. I was told if you have antique plates, you can't carry anything. I'm always hauling a Load of stone or loam for friends or family-I'm lucky if I get my fuel cost for doing this. So I have commercial plates on my 56 B. I'm paying around 1900 a year and that includes insurance on a 14' Peque skid steer trailer. I don't pull that with the Mack but rather with my Ranger if I'm moving my Z Trak mower. If I'm moving something heavier, I borrow a one ton.

Any thoughts for a cheaper alternative? I'm in Mass. by the way.

Guys Any opinions on this. I was told if you have antique plates, you can't carry anything. I'm always hauling a Load of stone or loam for friends or family-I'm lucky if I get my fuel cost for doing this. So I have commercial plates on my 56 B. I'm paying around 1900 a year and that includes insurance on a 14' Peque skid steer trailer. I don't pull that with the Mack but rather with my Ranger if I'm moving my Z Trak mower. If I'm moving something heavier, I borrow a one ton.

Any thoughts for a cheaper alternative? I'm in Mass. by the way.

In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, if the vehicle is registered, tagged and insured as an antique vehicle, it MAY NOT ACT WITHIN COMMERCE, PERIOD. Additionally, many insurance companies have stipulations in their policies that do not allow loads to be carried. I recently heard that insurance companies are no longer allowing trailers to be pulled by antique road tractors, but I cannot confirm this- perhaps someone else can??

You need to contact the State of Mass. and find out how they do things, as well as your insurance carrier. Either that or keep your current insurance and start telling your family and friends to start ponying up some more coin when you do favors for them.

• Like 1

We had a State Police truck team officer stop by our shop because we where wondering about pulling a trailer with the Superliner to shows. He said that so long as the truck was registered as an antique and not being used for commercial purposes that we can haul the B-Model on the trailer and be fine doing so, but if I was pulled over with anything else on the trailer then I would be ticketed, so things like antique tractors, cars and the such are fine and probably hauling your materials, but It has to be for you only. Also I have the Superliner covered by Commerce Ins. for antique coverage for 560.00/yr with a stated value.

• Like 1

I got my quote from Gullway $300 for the year with $10k of coverage. I don't have to have it garaged and I will be able to tow a trailer to shows. Condon and Skelly, JC Taylor, and American Collectors didn't accept it saying its not a collectible vehicle. I am fine with Gulfway. I am sending in the last papers tomorrow they needed filled out and signed.

If it was a B model I would have been able to just add it to my Grundy policy.

I got my quote from Gullway $300 for the year with $10k of coverage. I don't have to have it garaged and I will be able to tow a trailer to shows. Condon and Skelly, JC Taylor, and American Collectors didn't accept it saying its not a collectible vehicle. I am fine with Gulfway. I am sending in the last papers tomorrow they needed filled out and signed.

If it was a B model I would have been able to just add it to my Grundy policy.

Did JC Taylor give you a specific reason why? Just curious.

25 years or older is an antique. I've used Gulfway for several years...been absolutely great to me even when I drive them insane adding/deleting/changing vehicles on them. I have a truck/trailer combo for instance insured, can haul my own equipment on the trailer.

post-17526-0-54312900-1394668723_thumb.j

• Like 1