2009 Allison 4500RDS "Cateyes" jumps in and out of gear

LAWCON

Hello we have a 2009 Mack Granite with an Allison 4500RDS. When we start the truck it initially runs fine for 10-15 seconds then the wrench in our push button shift selector comes on for a bit. It then goes out and eventually the truck tries to jump into gear from neutral then goes back into neutral repeatedly.

Around this time we have a relay somewhere clicking repeatedly for a bit. Eventually we get "Cateyes" in the push button selector on the dash then we get the mode red light on that same selector to come on. We can't move the truck anywhere after so we turn it off for a bit then restart it and it does the same thing.

We have played with most of the connections and they all seem fine. We can't seem to find any breaks or kinks in the wiring anywhere that deals with the transmission. We also get a P0880 code on the push button selector which also triggers multiple codes on the dash. The codes on the dash are saying intermittent data readings.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I didn't know if it should be electrical or this one. Thanks in advance,

Lawrence

Edited by LAWCON

Thanks for the reply, we checked all the fuses and continuity in the breakers and everything checks out. We are getting 12.6 volts for everything as well except 8.1 volts for a 5 amp fuse on the top panel which is for illumination. Not sure if this is a problem or not.

Thanks we did check that, we did a continuity test on all 20 pins and everything seemed to be good up to the other end at the firewall where it goes into the cab. Is it possible that the TCM is fried or one of the other computers under the dash is fried which would make it send false signals everywhere? If so how would we check this.

One code we get when we check the truck is "MID 128 PID 84 - ROAD SPEED". It says abnormal update rate. The conditions for the fault are "Missing signal from VECU".

Another code is "MID 144 PID P84 FMI2 - DATA ERRACTIC". This is for the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). We did buy and install a new one with no change.

Another code is "MID 44 PSID S205 FMI9 - DATA ABSCENT". It says this occurs when the VECU loses communication with the Allison transmission.

We have a few more codes such as a clustor, not sure if these help or not. Thanks again

I work for a county highway dept. we bought 6 new 2006 7600 Internationals with the Allison we have had more trouble with the wiring in those trucks since new, most have been transmission wiring, I think there are 40-50 wires going to the computer on the side of the transmission, nice place to put the computer when you are plowing snow. also the 3 2013 Freightliners that we got are junk.

don't know a damn thing about this trans, but with all things electronic clean and check your grounds! you say a relay is clicking ? can you id the relay and then find its control circuit, if you can find out what controls it you might have found your problem

It is about a week waiting for a service technician so we're going to continue working on it ourselves for now.

I don't think the relay source is the problem, I think it is just a symptom from something else. We checked the resistor inside in the center dash and it checks out to be 120 ohms so that seems to be okay.

We have two wires that come from the vehicle speed sensor in the side of the transmission all the way up into the firewall with the harness then they seem to branch off inside the cab behind the cluster, I think one goes into the TCM but we're not sure. Does anyone know for sure where the vehicle speed sensor wires (2 of them) go to?

• 4 years later...

Well Lawcon I hope you get this . I see its been 4 years since you last posted anything ( RESULTS ). I have a truck doing the exact same thing.. do you remember what they found to be wrong ? I am thinking its my TCM or Keypad.

My dodge pickup would do this. Low trans fluid, sump was just barely in the oil, enough to pickup air and go in neutral, then back in gear, then neutral. Once it warmed up it'd be ok (fluid expansion). It was an idiot behind the wheel problem. Read the dipstick and check it how it says! Ford's say check in park or neutral, dodge says check in neutral. (NOT IN PARK)

Previous owner also used a  filter from his hemi baracuda.  Almost the same trans as my 47re, but the Cummins auto used a deeper pan and filter.

Edited by JoeH

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread. My dad also has an 06 international with a 4500RDS ALLISON TRANNY . It works when it wants to.... we’ve done a bunch of different things to it. Still, it will show a ol95 code’low sump temp’ and 5587 ‘ c3ps problem.... does anyone know what the 200100 adapter does? The Allison tech can’t even hook up to the truck. I think the brain might need recalibrated or I need that adapter! By the way, none of the codes that pop are valid. No problem with c3ps , got a brand new internal wiring harness and interior filter. ..... when it does drive it shifts perfectly etc... what does that adapter do? I know it updates old to new internal harness to brain. You think that could be my problem? Anyone ever heard of that? Let mee we know please, I’m all ears