DOT war on farms reappears

41chevy

This was proposed before obamammas run for reelection in 2011. Now it resurfaced again as Winter recess legislation. The latest is the reappearance of legislation by DOT and FMCSA requiring anyone who operates farming equipment and farming attachments to have a commercial driver’s license (CDL). This is touted as an increase in safety and an as a ''revenue enhancement" for the Feds' Paul

The DOT proposed a rule change for all farm equipment will place significant regulatory pressure on small farms and family farms all across America – costing them thousands of dollars and possibly forcing many of them out of business. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), part of the Department of Transportation (DOT), has ordered new standards that would require all farmers and all personnel on a farm to obtain an A or B CDL (Commercial Drivers License) in order to operate any farming equipment. The agency is going to accomplish this by reclassifying all farm vehicles and implements as Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMVs).

The White House Rural Counsel and The Center For American Progress and the Teamsters are backing the proposed changes

By reclassifying all farm vehicles and implements as Commercial Vehicles, the Federal government will now be able to claim regulatory control over the estimated 800,000 farm workers and an estimated 450,000 farm implements in America and opening to door for EPA regulation and the unionization of them at the same time.

The proposed change also means ANYONE driving a tractor or operating any piece of motorized or towed farming equipment would be forced to pass the same rigorous tests and fill out the same detailed forms and diaries required of semi-tractor trailer drivers. This reclassification would bury small farms and family farms in regulation and paperwork.

Some of the additional paperwork and regulation required:

Detailed logs would need to be kept by all drivers – hours worked, miles traveled, etc.

Vehicles would have to display DOT numbers

Drivers would need to pass a physical as well as a drug test – every two years.

Allow enforcement checks by DOT and FMCSA officers including local enforcement personnel

Farm use vehicles will now require Commercial insurance and registration tags

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Make them cold, hungry and jobless and most will do what ever the powers that be want. Not all but most. All we have is 6 acres of sour farm land after Sandy, My signs say No Trespassing. I don't care if you are the local drunk or the president himself you will not enter my land uninvited to tell me how to operate. Paul

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I cant believe that my seasonal help must live in acceptable housing but I don't have too!! I use government labor housing that's two years old built for farm labor, now home land security and boarder patrol hang out there and pressure the workers, theirs no way that I can afford to supply acceptable housing for 30-45 workers for 20 days worth of work !!

Farm lobby beat that back once already...pretty sure they'll defeat it again. The reps from agricultural districts, and the senators from rural states aren't going to just sit back and let this crap pass. Farmers vote, and the politicians know it. That is why they have so many exemptions already carved out for themselves.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Again, a bunch of BS from our government! The more BS regs they pass/enact, the more things move overseas. The government will be (maybe is already) the downfall of this country. As FWD stated in another thread "hold on to your asses"!

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Farm lobby beat that back once already...pretty sure they'll defeat it again. The reps from agricultural districts, and the senators from rural states aren't going to just sit back and let this crap pass. Farmers vote, and the politicians know it. That is why they have so many exemptions already carved out for themselves.

If and it's a big if, they push it through under the EPA first they do not need a vote on it. That seems to be how it's going to be this time. Reid is also holding the farm subsidies as ransom for the DOT /FMCSA regs to pass and since food production/agriculture all fall under the White House Rural Counsel and DHS/FEMA guess who wins? Not us.

As for the powers that be? No idea of the world out side of the Beltway. Same out look as the "Gimmie" people, all they worry about it the cash flow to them.

P.T.CHESHIRE

I come from a family of farmers, one thing I know you do not step onto a farmers premises/land and tell them what to do, how to do it, how long to work or anything else, Period.

[

well that used to be the way it worked. now they hold our perishable crops hostage if we don't play their game. /quote]

Damn ridiculous! I also grew up on a farm,and let me tell you,when it was peach shipping season we sometimes worked 24 hours a day! peaches have a real limited shelf life,and when they gotta go they gotta go! every delay was money out of our pockets! same with apples,just not as tight a schedule to keep. Many is the day I would load a truck BEFORE going to school,come home,load another one,deliver it,come home and load ANOTHER one before bedtime,do the same thing 6 sometimes 7 days a week! My Grand dad was not real big on being told what to do by anyone,especially the govvmint! hard ass work with little to no reward as it is (farming) but maybe the "gimmies" will think twice when there is no more food! oh,nevermind,we'll just BUY it from somewhere else I guess? (oh I forgot,theres no more money either) Big Daddy Obama Bin Laden sure has a plan don't he?.........................running the country into the ground!..........................Mark

Well said mark!

No coal, soon no oil or natural gas, no Hydroelectric, no incandescent light bulbs. We have ACA mandating our health and God knows what else is hidden in it BUT we have free phones, birth control and 30 million illegals soon to be welcomed to Obammarika.

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hell, new NYC mayor wants to do away with horse drawn carriages...

No horse drawn carriages, no bicycle messengers, hide tobacco from view so kids don't see it, no tanning salons and no air brush make up salons. NYC is sending out confiscation notices for weapons that hold 5 or more rounds (NY law says up to 5 is legal, NYC say it isn't).

Hey NSA I lost a photo file, Think can you send me a copy?

P.T.CHESHIRE