Diesel Quick Start?

My cousin lives in Haynes Fall N.Y. and just bid on the Fire Department N Model ex Flood light truck. Told me on the dash is a switch labeled Diesel Quick Start. Never heard of it. Ether shot?

'

post-3242-0-88732100-1387992652_thumb.jp

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Paul I have it on my Freightliner COE with 6V-92. The Detroit would loose prime if it sat for a week or so. I put valves in lines to prevent it but that did not work. Anyway it is hooked up with power to give a metered shot of ether. It goes directly into intake pipe after air cleaner. They work well. Ether canisters for them are pricey though.N-Model with a Diesel great find. Joe D.

It's a non turbo with a 10 speed. Before Haynes Falls V.F.D. got it, it was used at the N.Y.C. Police Recreation Center in Tannersville as a 6 wheel dump. Cousin Chubby is sending me some pics when he figures how to get them off his phone. The flood lights and generator are stripped off it, he's going to use it as a service truck.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The modern systems do not have a button and use a temperature sensor. Both of my ex navy trucks have the system on them, they have never been used and do not have a bottle installed.

Ref. no bottle installed. Is the bottle/can mount exposed to the environment? If so, I recommend installing an empty ether bottle/can (or fabricate a cover) to keep the dirt and crap out of the system. I have done this on farm tractors (keep an empty bottle installed).

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

• 2 weeks later...
Ref. no bottle installed. Is the bottle/can mount exposed to the environment? If so, I recommend installing an empty ether bottle/can (or fabricate a cover) to keep the dirt and crap out of the system. I have done this on farm tractors (keep an empty bottle installed).

They have the original factory plug installed where the bottle should go.

• Like 1

The first R-Model I drove for my Grandfather(1972 R-685) had an ether button on the right side of the dash,canister mounted on the firewall I can only remember using it once when it was really cold! when plugged in the old girl wasn't bad to start in winter........................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

a diesel mechanic told me not to use ether, but instead use WD 40, it works

Ether is the best cold starting aid. However, ether will strip any lubricant from the cylinder walls resulting in metal to metal contact. Also ether has a low combustion/ignition temperature. Too much ether will bend and break parts. I have seen bent rods, split rings, and holes in pistons from too much ether. Today most ether has a small amount of lubricant in the can. If you use ether, use it as a "last resort" and use it VERY SPARINGLY.

WD40 or any spray penetrant is a good alternative. Just say NO to ether!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

The system isn't functional and isn't needed any way. Just never saw it on a MACK. My B has an either cup on the air filer can,but only when Prefered had the mixer was it used. Saw a service tech blow the pan off a GMC V6 gasser with a ton of either and lacquer thinner dumped it it to make it run when it had diluted oil from a leaking fuel pump and gas fouled plugs. Sounded impressive when it all lit off.

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

May have lead to some soil pants too!

For most of the shop and customers. :)

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE