Looking at Cat for my EQX

I recently found a box van chassis with a Cat 3116 engine and a 5 speed transmission. I have a 3 speed brownie also. Thinking really hard on buying the chassis and retrofitting the engine and transmissions into the Mack EQX. What is the conscensus in the Mack community on doing such a thing. I tnow the Mack is fairly rare but I think a more modern diesel engine and a good set of radial tires would go a long way to make it more road friendly. The truck has a 354 gas motor with a 5x2 transmission. 7.63 rear end currently.

post-15289-0-11275700-1375245432_thumb.j

Keeping it all Mack would be nice but get out the shoe horn and start customizing everything from new custom radiator to cool it to pushing the firewall back.

A smaller diesel would be they way to go with an axle ratio change thrown in.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

It depends on what miles you plan to do.

Because you'll need to spend some bunch of $$ for any conversion.

Jusy count miles with extra gas cost you need if you keep it stock.

As about me I have an interest to stock or 98% stock trucks only.

Because they have real historical value. I don't mean relation of a value to a price.

There are not so many original vehicles in existance and i feel much sorry when anybody starts to convert stock unit into a custom creature.

By the word in Germany you may register as a classic an only vehicle wich has most components (engine, body parts, suspension) as out of a factory.

Of course to each their own and anybody may do about his stuff anything he want to.

Just my pair of cents.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I would have to agree to Vlad's "pair of cents". You can never go back to original. In my opinion, that is too nice of an original truck and too rare of a truck to modify.

Jonas - you seem to find all of the gems out west. I would find a B model cab or something similar and throw it on a modern 2 ton frame with new engine, trans, axles and brakes you want and have a nice old style modern truck.

Just one man's opinion.....Drew

I would stay away from any engine with a chassis mounted aftercooler on it (unless you can hide it and the radiator behind that beautiful E series grille).An earlier 5.9 Cummins might be a good choice.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I'm like all the others keep it Mack, that said if I wanted to do a diesel swap I would look for a C series 8.3 cummins maybe settle for a B5.9. I would shy away from a used 3116, while they are a decent engine when right they are hell to keep right and once a cylinder or the head has an issue 9 times out of 10 the engine is trash. I really prefer the 8.3 210-275hp Cummins, the C series is known for bulletproof reliability and they are easy to work on and fully rebuild able. Well there's my two cents I try an 8.3 with a 6spd and your aux or a straight 9 or 10 spd, I drove a KW T300 with a C 275hp and a rto9513 and 4.10 rears that was a great setup.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I assume it is really underpowered with the small gas engine. If you want to increase the power you might look for a EN510 Thermodyne 6 to re-power it with. It is a Mack engine, E models used it so it would be period correct, the rear end would work with it, and it would put out a lot more HP.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I love your truck. I agree with Vlad. If it were mine I would not change a thing. Radials would be nice, but them you loose the awesome 5 hole aluminum buds. You would put a lot of time and or money into switching the truck around. If you want something different you might be better off buying what you want and selling this one. If that is the case I'll take it. I'll have Ray haul it home for me. Maybe this one will work the way it is for you or it can be kept as a trailer queen/local show truck. It would be a real shame to start making big changes. But as Vlad said, in the end it is your truck and you can do whatever you want with it. Mike

I see no trouble getting tube type radials keeping the wheels.

And I don't think 354cu. in. gasser is not powerful enough.

As about high road speed you may play with rear axle ratio.

I'm shure you can find some one of a faster kind but of the same body.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012