Bigland takes over as president & CEO of Ram Truck Brand

kscarbel

This is news because Chryster has repeatedly mentioned their interest in bringing back the Dodge heavy truck brand. A ready and willing candidate for the North American market is the impressive conventional cab Iveco PowerStar, complimented by the Eurocargo COE in the medium and heavy medium truck range.

Reid Bigland has been named president and CEO of the Ram Truck Brand, Chrysler Group announced. .

Bigland was president and CEO of the Dodge Brand.

Bigland came to Chrysler in July 2006 from Freightliner.

post-5381-0-50496500-1366166786_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-95052400-1366166806_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-38719700-1366166818_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-30721900-1366166934_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-90482100-1366166938_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-65003500-1366166961_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-39073200-1366166969_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-76738700-1366166973_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-43606500-1366166978_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Before The Ram Brand moves back into heavy duty......Can they make a decent pickup first???

My brand new Ram3500 with a Cummins is the most disappointing hunk of junk I have had the displesure of owning. I miss my Ford Diesel already.

The short-nosed fiberglass hood “Hi-Cab” Big Horn 900 was to have replaced the aging steel hood CN/CNT900 (at least for on-highway applications) in the 1976 model year, had Dodge not decided to terminate heavy truck production in 1975. Two prototypes were built, with Cummins and Detroit Diesel power, and both trucks still exist today.

Press Release:

Dodge Truck Operations, Chrysler Motors Corp., Detroit, Michigan, now has two Big Horns: the Big Horn 950 long conventional introduced in 1973 and --- now for 1974 --- the Big Horn 900 conventional.

Scheduled for production at Dodge's Detroit Sherwood Truck Plant, it will be available with wheelbase range from 134 in. to 212 in. and GVW range from 28,000 to 60,000 lb.

With power ratings between 230 and 350 hp, engines available for the Big Horn 900 include Detroit Diesel Allison's 6-71N and 8V-71N plus Cummins diesels NH 230, NTC 250, 270, 290 and 350.

Dodge Says the Big Horn 900 will meet all government regulations for airbrakes and noise control when introduced. The Big Horn 900 will have Rockwell-Standard's Skid-Tool computerized brake control system. To help meet the brake regulations, Dodge added beefed up brakes, hubs and drums, increased power input to the brakes and suspension capacity.

To comply with BMCS interior noise regulations, Dodge includes improved insulation and seating.

Insuring the Big Horn's ruggedness and longevity, Dodge builds the 900 cab of heavy gauge reinforced steel, sets it on 110,000 psi straight frame rails and connects cross-members with grade-eight bolts, locknuts and large washers.

The 900, like the 950, has a forward tilting, reinforced fiberglass front end. The Big Horn ornament identifies the 900 and serves as a handle when tilting the front end.

Under the hood, Dodge's attention to serviceability is seen in a design that has all wires color coded for easy tracing through protective plastic tubing, supported by insulated chassis clips, and connected by bolt-eyelets. Electrical connections are gathered in two groupings. Five fusible links, circuit breakers and relays are positioned on engine compartment firewall and inside the cab on the back panel. Both groups are protected from dirt and grime with durable ABS plastic covers.

Inside the cab, a newly styled, integrated RCCC instrument panel and glove box are standard. Also standard is an interior trim molded of ABS plastic with insulated backing. Interior cab options include a high-line trim package with color keyed door trim panels, carpeting and soft, padded vinyl headliner inserts and back trim panel. Other options are integral air conditions, AM or AM/FM radio with twin speakers, tape deck, and power steering.

post-5381-0-13198400-1366189440_thumb.jp

post-5381-0-21516100-1366189455_thumb.jp

KSC- good intel! I read the article about this guy in the WSJ but it said nothing about his prior stint at F'liner. That IS significant.

Also I think the move by Diaz to Nissan is significant given Nissans move into commercial trucks. Keep in mind the head of the Nissan truck effort is a former Ford commercial truck guy. Now Nissan has two guys in house with American commercial truck experience.

Dodge didn't actually get out of the class 8 business right away. Production continued in Mexico utilzing D-series cabs until 1999 (After buying Chrysler in 1998, Daimler didn't want Dodhe trucks competing with their own in Latin America).

Note the raised cab mounting and resulting need for a filler panel under the front grille and elongated front fender panels.

And of course, note the externally-mounted air cleaner, vertical exhaust and step tanks.

post-5381-0-11996400-1366246018_thumb.jp

I remember those commercials with Don Knotts but did not take in the importance of it. But remember seeing those cab overs and did not like the looks of them. My first job got to deliver lead pigs to a local printing company with the ( what I called the big headlight Dodge ) I felt that I was driving an ugly log wagon. I was glad to get back to the plant and clock out.

mike

• 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...
13 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Where has he been??

Bigland will steer Ram again in FCA management overhaul

Michael Wayland, Automotive News  /  October 1, 2018

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles CEO Mike Manley’s new executive leadership team will be a mix of American and European executives, as he looks to complete an aggressive five-year plan orchestrated by his late-predecessor, Sergio Marchionne.

He announced the executive appointments, effective immediately, in a letter to employees on Monday:

Reid Bigland, 51, will once again lead the automaker’s Ram [Dodge Trucks] brand. He previously led Ram in 2013-2014. Bigland will retain his roles leading our Canadian operations and U.S. sales.

Bigland came to Chrysler in July 2006 from Freightliner.

·  2014 - current, Head of Alfa Romeo Brand, FCA - North America

·  2014 - current, Board of Directors, FCA US LLC (formerly Chrysler Group LLC)

·  2013 - President and CEO, Ram Truck Brand

·  2011 - current, Senior Vice President - U.S. Sales, FCA - North America

·  2011 - current, GEC, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V. (formerly Fiat S.p.A.)

·  2011 - President and CEO, Dodge Brand, FCA US

·  2006 - current, Chairman, President and CEO FCA Canada Inc. (formerly Chrysler Canada Inc.)

·  2005 - President, Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation

·  2002 - General Manager Dealer Operations, Freightliner LLC

·  2001 - Director Vocational Sales, Freightliner LLC

·  1999 - Director U.S. Sales, Western Star Trucks

·  1997 - Director Human Resources, Western Star Trucks

Thx Kevin.  I keep reading about some people downsizing their delivery fleets to avoid the CDL issue/driver shortage and it makes class 6 a lot more attractive if in fact this is true.  With GM back in 6 as well as International,  could be a very competitive market before long.  Bill Ford should be talking to Hackett!