Remember the Mack Marshall?

Not at all Mike,i agree with you about the past! do you have a Mack Marshall Badge? i got one from Horner Mack back when this promotion was out,have'nt seen many of them......................................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I've got one somewhere,kinda like a little kids tin badge,and I've also got a hat pin badge,it's much better quality.

Besides being an old time famous cowboy actor,I thought I read somewhere that Dale Robertson also had ties to trucking,that's why Mack chose him for the ad campaign.

Dale Robertson sounds like an interesting character. He just recently died at the age of 89.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0731783/bio

I've got one somewhere,kinda like a little kids tin badge,and I've also got a hat pin badge,it's much better quality.

Besides being an old time famous cowboy actor,I thought I read somewhere that Dale Robertson also had ties to trucking,that's why Mack chose him for the ad campaign.

Mike,

Dale Robertson did have a tie to trucking, he had some sort of affiliation with Lux Hart horse transportation.

I can't remember exactly where they were from (out west somewhere) used to have an autographed picture of him, I believe on horseback, in front of a Lux Hart van.

The tractor in the picture was a green Bullnose KW with I believe a yellow horse van.

I think the reason we ended up with the picture was that they were trying to make some sort of a deal with our father?

I'm not sure but I believe Lux Hart eventually became Fox Hollow horse Transportation from San Dimas, CA.

There's a glimpse of one of there trucks in the movie White Line Fever (white and turquoise green)

On a local note to our family business they (Fox Hollow) eventually merged a with long time competitor of ours also from West Chester, Vernon T. Mercer horse transportation!

Definitely is a small world!

Ron

Not at all Mike,i agree with you about the past! do you have a Mack Marshall Badge? i got one from Horner Mack back when this promotion was out,have'nt seen many of them......................................................Mark

Mark,

Do you remember the guys at the parts counter?

John Jones, Melvin Street, and Manny?

All nice guys.

Melvin used to like to use that jive talk, Hey babe, how you doin' babe?, OK babe etc. etc.

My brother Tom and I were used to that when we got him on the phone to order parts.

I remember one day our father called down to Vineland to order something and got Melvin on the phone, to say the least he wasn't very amused!!

Hate to admit this but Tom and I thought it was funny as hell!!

Ron

• Like 2

Mark,

Do you remember the guys at the parts counter?

John Jones, Melvin Street, and Manny?

All nice guys.

Melvin used to like to use that jive talk, Hey babe, how you doin' babe?, OK babe etc. etc.

My brother Tom and I were used to that when we got him on the phone to order parts.

I remember one day our father called down to Vineland to order something and got Melvin on the phone, to say the least he wasn't very amused!!

Hate to admit this but Tom and I thought it was funny as hell!!

Ron

Yes i do Ron! Melvin (streetzy) was the best parts guy i ever encountered! he knew what you wanted WITHOUT the "last six of the vin # " we (my family) dealt with Horner for many years,i bought 3 of the four new trucks i've owned from them. He hung on awhile after the Bergey group bought them out,but it was just not the same,i believe Melvin retired a few years back,great guys to deal with for sure! ................................................Mark

• Like 1

Yes i do Ron! Melvin (streetzy) was the best parts guy i ever encountered! he knew what you wanted WITHOUT the "last six of the vin # " we (my family) dealt with Horner for many years,i bought 3 of the four new trucks i've owned from them. He hung on awhile after the Bergey group bought them out,but it was just not the same,i believe Melvin retired a few years back,great guys to deal with for sure! ................................................Mark

Mark,

Our family and the Horner family were pretty good friends over the years.

Our father knew Charles Horner Sr. who used to be at the Brockway factory branch in Philadelphia.

Charlie Horner Jr. and his wife Harriet had four sons Chip (Charles III), Rob, Scott and Doug.

Our parents also had four sons Ralph III, Thomas, Richard, and yours truly!

The last time I saw Charlie Horner was in Pennsauken, NJ after they had taken over Camden Mack from Luddy!

Were you ever at Camden Mack Service Co. in Pennsauken?

This was a place that serviced Macks and sold parts--didn't sell trucks except for an occasional used one that people owed money on a repair!.

It was owned by Ludwig Mueller who used to work for the Mack branch on Woodword Ave. in Philadelphia as a mechanic.

He knew his Macks and opened this place on Rte.130 in Pennsauken.

He also lived in a house at the rear of the property.

He was so good that supposedly when the branch in Philadelphia had a real problem child that they couldn't figure out they'd send it over the river to Luddy's!

There parts dept. was excellent, this was the last stop Horner made on there way back to Vineland usually to get parts not to deliver them!

We used to get parts from both places, Horner delivered, Luddy didn't, but they always had what you needed so you didn't mind driving the forty miles if you had to.

I remember one time ordering a windshield rubber for an "F" model from Horner's and they said I'd have it tomorrow which was fine with me.

Then later in the day I had to run to Luddy's for something in a hurry, while I was there here came the delivery guy from Horner who I'd just seen at our place

maybe 2 hours ago, guess what he was picking up?

You guessed it a windshield rubber for an "F" model. I told him that it was for us and that I'd save him a stop tomorrow if he wasn't coming to West Chester

He made a phone call to Vineland to make sure it was indeed for us, which it was, and I brought it home with me!

They were fun times for sure!

Ron

• Like 1

Mark,

Our family and the Horner family were pretty good friends over the years.

Our father knew Charles Horner Sr. who used to be at the Brockway factory branch in Philadelphia.

Charlie Horner Jr. and his wife Harriet had four sons Chip (Charles III), Rob, Scott and Doug.

Our parents also had four sons Ralph III, Thomas, Richard, and yours truly!

The last time I saw Charlie Horner was in Pennsauken, NJ after they had taken over Camden Mack from Luddy!

Were you ever at Camden Mack Service Co. in Pennsauken?

This was a place that serviced Macks and sold parts--didn't sell trucks except for an occasional used one that people owed money on a repair!.

It was owned by Ludwig Mueller who used to work for the Mack branch on Woodword Ave. in Philadelphia as a mechanic.

He knew his Macks and opened this place on Rte.130 in Pennsauken.

He also lived in a house at the rear of the property.

He was so good that supposedly when the branch in Philadelphia had a real problem child that they couldn't figure out they'd send it over the river to Luddy's!

There parts dept. was excellent, this was the last stop Horner made on there way back to Vineland usually to get parts not to deliver them!

We used to get parts from both places, Horner delivered, Luddy didn't, but they always had what you needed so you didn't mind driving the forty miles if you had to.

I remember one time ordering a windshield rubber for an "F" model from Horner's and they said I'd have it tomorrow which was fine with me.

Then later in the day I had to run to Luddy's for something in a hurry, while I was there here came the delivery guy from Horner who I'd just seen at our place

maybe 2 hours ago, guess what he was picking up?

You guessed it a windshield rubber for an "F" model. I told him that it was for us and that I'd save him a stop tomorrow if he wasn't coming to West Chester

He made a phone call to Vineland to make sure it was indeed for us, which it was, and I brought it home with me!

They were fun times for sure!

Ron

What a small world! i have'nt heard mention of Ludwig Mueller for years,he and my Grandfather were fast friends! both being of German ancestry! Pop said he knew his stuff when it came to "old" Macks and was Pops first call whenever we encountered a problem we could'nt handle mechanically-wise,he was the only person i ever saw use a stethescope for diagnosing engine problems, he and ,kept our B-Model running for years! its still around today! Back in the day,Horners was our "go to" shop,being as they were not far from us,we were always treated very well by the Horner family,even when money was tight,arrangements could always be made to get us up and running,and not being a large outfit we never forgot the help. Charlie Horner personally invited me and a few other people to take a look in the "attic" at Vineland before Bergeys took over,what good stuff there was up there,i only wish i had had more money at the time! NOS B-Model parts,everything! years worth of sevice/operators manuals,you name it,it was there! I was sorry to see them go out,not many dealers left you can build any kind of relationship with unless you have 4-500 trucks! i'm always on the lookout for any memorabilia with Horners name on it,hat tags,calendars etc. just a better time and place,i sure miss those days!....................Mark

• Like 1

Mark,

They were great times indeed!

I was in the attic at Luddy's rooting around for manifolds for a military engine I was converting over to put in our "U" model, I bet Vinny's ears will perk up now!

Any way when I got up there, unattended, the first thing I noticed was a left rear quarter panel hanging from the the rafters for either an H-61 or an early H-63 I don't remember

which it was for now but it had the quarter round windows in it for the sleeper, this was probably in '82 or '83! , right after Charlie Horner took it over.

As far as Luddy goes, God rest is soul, he was one hell of nice guy and really, as you said, knew his stuff. The only thing you didn't want to do was go for a ride with

him in that old black Ford pick-up! He gave me a ride from his place to Garden State Diesel one time so they could do some hurry up pump work for us and when we got got back to his

place he said "Ronnie when there done with the pump I'll give you a ride back over to pick it up" I nicely said that I apreciated that but I was going to go over and wait

for it. Maybe I could hurry them up a little, I still had to get the pump, go back to West Chester, put the pump back on, and have the truck ready to leave by 6 o'clock

that night! And it did leave at 6 o'clock!

This was all true but even if it wasn't I was not getting back in that pick-up with him! Luddy didn't pay a whole lot of attention to those eight sided red signs!

For that matter, my brother Tommie and I rode up to Macungie with Charlie Horner to see our first "MH's" built and that wasn't a bargain either!

Are you going to be at Macungie?? would love to sit down and bullshit with you!

Ron

• Like 1

Mark,

I don't have a Mack Marshall badge but I do have have one of those Mack bolo ties like Dale Robertson is wearing!

Maybe I'll wear it to Macungie!

Ron

Mark,

They were great times indeed!

I was in the attic at Luddy's rooting around for

manifolds for a military engine I was converting

over to put in our "U" model, I bet Vinny's ears will perk up now!

Any way when I got up there, unattended, the first thing I noticed was a left rear quarter panel

hanging from the the rafters for either an H-61 or an early H-63 I don't remember

which it was for now but it had the quarter round windows in it for the sleeper, this was probably in

'82 or '83! , right after Charlie Horner took it over.

As far as Luddy goes, God rest is soul, he was one hell of nice guy and really, as you said, knew his stuff. The only thing you didn't want to do was

go for a ride with

him in that old black Ford pick-up! He gave me a ride from his place to Garden State Diesel one time so they could do some hurry up pump work

for us and when we got got back to his

place he said "Ronnie when there done with the pump I'll give you a ride back over to pick it up" I nicely said that I apreciated that but I was going

to go over and wait

for it. Maybe I could hurry them up a little, I still had to get the pump, go back to West Chester, put the pump back on, and have the truck ready

to leave by 6 o'clock

that night! And it did leave at 6 o'clock!

This was all true but even if it wasn't I was not getting back in that pick-up with him! Luddy didn't

pay a whole lot of attention to those eight sided red signs!

For that matter, my brother Tommie and I rode up to Macungie with Charlie Horner to see our first

"MH's" built and that wasn't a bargain either!

Are you going to be at Macungie?? would love to

sit down and bullshit with you!

Ron

Any pictures?

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Vinny,

I probably have pictures of it somewhere, and if I find them I will be sure to post them someday!

I do however have the chassis# or cereal#

as you call it------- U611T1170 it had two bent sticks in it! (fifteen speed triplex)

Ron

Thanks Ron!!!! She's an early one!!! 170th U611T made. There wasnt very many of them.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Mike,

Those were good times, I smile when I look back on them.

And unless you get alzheimers they can can never take them away from you!

Ron

Ron, How true a statement. I'm reminded everyday of how great it was back then. I think they said 1 out of every 3 people will get alzheimers. Your right that no one can take them away. Down here I feel that they are building high rises or office buildings everywhere. The new generation is encouraged to live downtown. Where I remember a drive-in theater they build a warehouse and next thing you see, the building has been boarded up and sit for years. Frankly, I don't want to see us become another Chicago or Atlanta. Enough said.

mike

• Like 1