GMC General at abandoned house

JTFormula

I wish you more free days to work on the truck before the show.

I also use to shift car sticks most of my life. So had to re-learn for a motorbike.

Truck is re-training again.

Looks like my R has rough gearbox although it shifts if you understand what's going on and how to put a gear in.

I'm going to mind I must be happy about having no bounce while bobtailing. The truck has a wheel base long enough and she's air ride.

Although it has "special" brakes. Ex-owner didn't make front shoes up, said there was a trouble to steer her in when on a snowy road.

It was probably good enough with a tri-axle loaded trailor. But when bobtailing and need to stop short...

So my pair of cents - try extremely stop with full brake down on 20-30 MPH.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Started to buff out the beast. Looks like I will be able to get some shine back in her. I got the new Kysor valve. Just need to get a new 90 degree air fitting and install it. One thing I forgot is I need to replace the belts. They are all dry rotted and I don't trust them for the 2+ hour drive up then back again. Hope I can get those done within the week.

But I did install my new light bulbs! I know not technical but heck one more thing done.

You can see the line where I buffed the hood to show the comparison.

post-11944-0-17009700-1370484756_thumb.j

post-11944-0-07614000-1370484737_thumb.j

Look at the upper door area compared to the door that was buffed out.

post-11944-0-63882800-1370485066_thumb.j

• Like 2

Looks good...amazing what a little buffing will do. Yes, good idea to replace belts. Also look at your hoses and carry some duct tape or survivor tape. I also carry extra oil, coolant, and filters. Do the basics and you will be good to go. 2+ hour drive...leave early and take your time. Stop every hour and look at everything. See you in Macungie!

P.S. Keep an eye on your gauges (oil pressure, coolant temp, voltmeter, and air pressure).

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

With a 2 plus hour ride, a truck that's been sitting for years, and unknown gremlins yet to come I'd get up to road speed and temps for about 10-15 min and do your first check. Then stop about every hour. Also do a few panic stops when conditions permit to make sure the brake system is holding up.

Just my 2c

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

I am planning on going down I-195 which is only 5 miles from here. Its a nice open highway i can see how she does a speed and make sure everything is ok. It goes from the shore to the other side of the state so it will be a good test run. If I have any doubts, ill have to leave it here and just drive/ride up to PA without it.

HELP!

Got a snag today and need some assistance. I installed the new Kysor shut down today and fired truck rig up. She ran for about 3 seconds and stalled. Tried to fire it up and nothing. I looked and the plunger is fully out and holding the shut off lever preventing it to start. WTF? The old one would at least wait a minute before it would shut down. This one is instant on. The new Kysor had two terminals on it so I hooked the wire to either one to see if it made a difference and nothing. Then I tried it without the wire connected and nothing.

Can anyone give me an idea what to look for? I called my diesel guy and he can't get here until Tuesday or Weds. That's cutting it short for Macungie and I still haven't really road tested the truck yet. One step closer and one step back - ARGH! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The new one is probably insulated. Check for polarity markings on the terminals. One should be positive and the other negative. If it is not marked, then it doesnt matter which is + and -. Make a jumper wire up to ground one terminal, and the other to key switch. Did you check for voltage at the terminal?

Mike Pacitto

Chelmsford Mass

The new one is probably insulated. Check for polarity markings on the terminals. One should be positive and the other negative. If it is not marked, then it doesnt matter which is + and -. Make a jumper wire up to ground one terminal, and the other to key switch. Did you check for voltage at the terminal?

I didn't do anything yet. Didn't know what to check. I didn't think it had markings but I'll double check. Got the key switch wire already there.

Hey JT - what is the forecast for the General appearing at Macungie?

Well I made a go at it but there's just a little more stuff that has to be one and I didn't have enough time to address it. I didn't want my maiden voyage to be the 2+ hour trip to Macungie. So I have to accept it and next week keep plugging along. I figured I have another two weeks of staying late at work tinkering before she's road worthy. Then I have to get it on the road and see what gremlins rear their ugly head. I am shooting for mid July to be fully sorted. Mean while the lady I got the truck from hasn't been able, or maybe didn't try yet, to get the title for me still.

I'll be at the show to meet you guys anyway. I am hooking my Grant XL back up in my Ram so at least I'll feel like a trucker on the way up.

Better be safe than sorry, wouldnt want to be an hour+ away from home and have something go bad on you. My worst fear is the tires after having sat for so long......Especially if they were retreads. I would stick to local driving for a while until you get that thing "re-broken in" and get used to her nuances and mood swings. (the truck, not the woman.....) :whistling:

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Better be safe than sorry, wouldnt want to be an hour+ away from home and have something go bad on you. My worst fear is the tires after having sat for so long......Especially if they were retreads. I would stick to local driving for a while until you get that thing "re-broken in" and get used to her nuances and mood swings. (the truck, not the woman.....) :whistling:

That's the plan. I was willing to give it a shot if I got some road time at highway speeds but I haven't done anything so maybe I'll shoot for the Diesel Nationals at E-Town for its debut. Should stand out among the 100's of Petes there.

Back from Macungie and now even more motivated. Its a little slow today (or not really focused on work) so I pulled the new Kysor valve and checked it for a positive and negitive. All I found was A-06 under the one terminal and K-24 under the other. Anyone have some advice to what these are? 6v or 24v? or something else? Need to get ready!

post-11944-0-39727800-1371488873_thumb.j

post-11944-0-16075100-1371488874_thumb.j

post-11944-0-81999200-1371488874_thumb.j

Still no input on the Kysor question?

Since the truck is not running again due to this Kysor issue but I am still off the Macungie high, I busted out the powerwasher and tried to get rid of the rest of the green crap that was growing on the frame. I also chipped away at the old dried grease on the Holland 5th wheel. While I was at it, I hosed down the engine compartment for the heck of it.

post-11944-0-83853900-1371526676_thumb.j

post-11944-0-22656700-1371526682_thumb.j

post-11944-0-83812500-1371526680_thumb.j

post-11944-0-27977100-1371526678_thumb.j

post-11944-0-10395100-1371526679_thumb.j

post-11944-0-12796400-1371526680_thumb.j

• Like 1

It says that on the main body but what are the two terminals? Which one do I hook the power lead too and do I have to ground the other side?

JT

I'd check for continuity between each of the terminals and the main body of the of the cylinder.

If there is no continuity between either one to the body of the cylinder, which I don't think there will be, then one terminal is definitely for ground.

If that be the case just put the power lead to one terminal and a good chassis ground to the other.

Doesn't make any difference which one is which as long as it's insulated.

Ron

P.S.

I enjoyed meeting you and the Mrs. at Macungie last weekend.

I think I am going to make a ground wire and hook the power lead to one side and ground the other. If that doesn't work, hook them up the other way and see if that works.

It was nice to meet you and yours as well.