Repowering a b613

I have a 1965 B613 with tandem 4.17 axles. I'am installing a 28' jer-dan rollback, I plan on taking it to shows up and down the east cost while hauling antique tractors or small dozers. it has a 673 turbo with a triplex. with this extensive restoration I'm considering if I should repower. I have a 237 maxidyne with 5 speed and also a few dt466s. with fuel prices being so high I'm wondering witch might be the right choice. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Nothing wrong but my dad had a manager that use to own a mack dealership in GA He came home from a Carribean cruise in the 60s to find 75 b61s with 711s that customers had return because of head gaskets . He later lost his dealer and everything he owned but a new yorker car . I know 673 aren't 711 but did they have any problems?

Edited by realwolfdaddy

Unless the 673 that is in your truck now has a problem I would leave it in their however if you would decide to swap it out for a 237 you will have a little more room under the hood than a B-615 does because your cab has an indentation in the firewall and the B-615 is straight on of the differences between the inline six and the V-8 cabs

237 is a ''fuel pincher'', that was their trademark. they will fit right in where the 673 is without a problem at all. just have to use the 673 pulleys and crank hub. turbo placement is different to. the old 673's usually had a huge old switzer turbo and took up alot of room. the 237's had a smaller turbo so you might have to change the plumbling a little. other than that its an easy swap. you will have to make up mounts to put the 5 speed in it. the triplex will work fine also as long as you dont lug the hell out of it .the 673 turbo was not a 711. the early 711's did have head gasket problems but most were fixed with addin a turbo or the addition of fire rings and the Maxidyne head gaskets like mine has.

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

If it aint broke don't fix it. Run the one you have unless it's puking oil or something. That drive line should be just fine. I doubt the mileage will be that much different unless you are driving the crap out of it, it will not save you much.

I didn't know cab structure changed relative to 6's vs V8's. I've got an E6 turbo (250 I'm told) in mine and it fits fine. If I could come with a good 864/865 to trade the E6 for it I'd change it out but the V8 is kind of special for the 815. Otherwise I'm planning to run it as is.

Good luck

Greg

I run the wheels off my 673P. In the 10 yrs, only popped two head bolts(easy fixes), drove it home each time. They are sturdy ol engines. Mines all original, so who knows the actual mileage? Geared right, it will run along at 65-70 mph and get 8-9 mpg easy if you aren't heavy.

That lil binder motor will be running hard to keep up, they just don't make the torque.

I'd LOVE to have a 250 motor in my truck. She'd be cruis'n in high cotton then!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I can bobtail and get 9-10 mpg. With trailer and running hard it gets 8 mpg, as I run it 65+ on the highway(about 1800 rpm). I have 4.10 gears and triplex. I have a brownie box too, but don't run it in OD very often(usually in Direct) so it doesnt account in the fuel mileage equation. Truck is 13K, the trailer is 14K lbs.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I can bobtail and get 9-10 mpg. With trailer and running hard it gets 8 mpg, as I run it 65+ on the highway(about 1800 rpm). I have 4.10 gears and triplex. I have a brownie box too, but don't run it in OD very often(usually in Direct) so it doesnt account in the fuel mileage equation. Truck is 13K, the trailer is 14K lbs.

Thats great I dont get that much with my duramax pulling that kind of weight

I agree, I think the a,punt of work effort and money invested for the engine swap vs the gain is not worth it. You should be fine as this sounds like its more of a hobby truck than a daily working truck.

More importantly, what is the wheelbase on your truck for that rollback and please post pictures. You are building the same thing that I want to do. Old B Mack with a rollback!

If it aint broke don't fix it. Run the one you have unless it's puking oil or something. That drive line should be just fine. I doubt the mileage will be that much different unless you are driving the crap out of it, it will not save you much.

I didn't know cab structure changed relative to 6's vs V8's. I've got an E6 turbo (250 I'm told) in mine and it fits fine. If I could come with a good 864/865 to trade the E6 for it I'd change it out but the V8 is kind of special for the 815. Otherwise I'm planning to run it as is.

Good luck

Greg

Cab is the same, the floor is different...the steering box had to be moved back. In My 615 the steering wheel is much more upright than a regular B-Model..