Granpop had a friend that had one like this,it was a gasjob,i only ever seen a couple those IH's in person,pretty sure that green and gold one in the pictures was a 220 or 250 Cummins?............................................Mark

A local farmer used to have one of these IH's with a grain box,always thought it was cool as hell,and wanted to get ahold of it,but it disappeared.

Somewhere a long time ago I read a story about these Corbitt's.Seems that a trucking company by the name of Turner rebuilt at least one LJ Mack into a homemade cabover,repowering it with a English Gardner diesel. Then Corbitt sent there engineers to look it over and they came up with their cabover. Then,supposedly Mack engineers looked over the Corbitt and came up with the H-61.Anybody else remember seeing that article??

That would have been Mr Guy Turner himself of http://www.guymturner.com/. His company started in Greensboro, NC. Corbitts were manufactured in Henderson, NC about 80 miles north on I85. He's been gone about twenty years now and the company has changed owners a couple of times.

Hey this one (1958 H-67) was pretty damn tall to me! Course,I was just a wee lad of 13 at the time! She was my first love........well,kinda........you know what I mean! Don't remember my hair being that long, though. :rolleyes:

"Tell that damn hippy to get off my truck!" - truck owner back in the day

• Like 2

Nice mullet. I hear they are back in. The H76 is neat too. Mike

That was kinda pre-mullet time (1974),Mike.Maybe I started a trend LOL!!! ........NOT! What a dufus!! :blush:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Somewhere a long time ago I read a story about these Corbitt's.Seems that a trucking company by the name of Turner rebuilt at least one LJ Mack into a homemade cabover,repowering it with a English Gardner diesel. Then Corbitt sent there engineers to look it over and they came up with their cabover. Then,supposedly Mack engineers looked over the Corbitt and came up with the H-61.Anybody else remember seeing that article??

Yep, I believe it was in WOT a couple of years back. Something about Turner was in the moving business and took a job moving equipment at the Mack plant. Apparently the design team got their cameras out for some recon. I thought that was a pretty neat story, myself.

Jake

There is a picture of Turner's Mack on page 61 of the book Evolution of Cab-Over-Engine Trucks. It states that it was a Mack EQT, although they could have made others too. It was also pictured in a Wheels Of Time quite a while back.

The green highbinder has been rebuilt and is taller than the standard height.

Normally it would be thought that cab overs are taller, but some conventionals were taller than many COEs. The Diamond T 950 was tall. The Detroit powered cab-forward Dodge C model was up there too.

Heres another experimental P.I.E cabover......................................Mark

Wow! It kinda looks like a early FWD cabover.Cool picture,ugly truck :loldude: Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

The more recent Mack MH may take the prize for tallest cabover- IIRC they were 126" tall to the roof, a good 6" to 12" taller than contemporary cabovers. If that don't win the prize, I've read on this forum that some even taller 4 x 4 MHs were built for UPS...

They might be- I stood in front of one at David's this summer, and i'd forgotten just how tall they are, that thing was huge.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The more recent Mack MH may take the prize for tallest cabover- IIRC they were 126" tall to the roof, a good 6" to 12" taller than contemporary cabovers. If that don't win the prize, I've read on this forum that some even taller 4 x 4 MHs were built for UPS...
They might be- I stood in front of one at David's this summer, and i'd forgotten just how tall they are, that thing was huge.

I can't find the dimensions but my MH is just under 12' to top of exhaust. I guestimate the cab roof to be about 132" tall.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

An MH I once saw. I had Jo stand in front of it and sip a soda for a height comparison. She was arrested for trespassing right after I took the picture.

attachicon.gifmhimg_2699.jpg

Sippin' a soda in front of a Freightliner.

attachicon.gif100_2873.jpg

9000 Ford

attachicon.gif100_4347.jpg

You forgot to have Jo stand in front of the Ford 9000. :blush:

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"