Background on this?

Rich Reinhart

When this classic was in Tunbridge it was privately owned by the late Peter Jorgensen who published a fire apparatus magazine, "Fire Apparatus" I think was the title.

He also owned a Mack "CF" that was lettered "Engine 3" but neither of these trucks was owned by the Tunbridge Fire Department. I'm sure that someone on these forums

will fill us in on the history of this beautiful truck. That's the great thing about these forums; there is always someone with the correct answer.

bulldogboy

• Like 1

yes pete Jorgensen owned that B sedan ,don't know what happened to it thought, I purchased petes 1954 L 85 MACK ,the last truck in his collection in june of 2009, he passed away 3 months later , our MACK was also lettered TUNBRIDGE ,we did a off frame restoration that was completed in November 2012. he also had a collection of JOHN DEERE tractors.

The B Model pictured above was sold into a collection in St. Louis. Mack made a number of three and four door B Models, some that come to mind are State College, PA and Memphis, TN. The B Models with the 707 were generally B-95 or B-85 in the multi-door confiiguration however with the popularity of the Hall-Scott motor on the West coast, Mack made a Model with a Hall Scott labeled the B-21. After having said they were popular on the West coast, below is a B-21 from Memphis, TN.

I think the only apparatus I would rather own than a four door B Model would be an American laFrance 400 Series Duplex pumper from the Los Angeles Fire Department. None were known to survive. For those that are not familiar with them, the duplex pumpers had two V-12's and two 1500 gpm pumps. The SPAAMFAA magazine, Enjine-Enjine had a good article about them some years ago.

post-2291-0-25968600-1358740181_thumb.jp

Edited by paulromano
  • Like 1

I don't know.anything about this truck, but it is a four door.sedan. They were also available.in three door sedan, two door sedan where you access the back seat thru the right side.door, coupe cab(day cab), semi-open cab with doors but no roof, open cab with no doors and some slopey coupe cab but don't remember what they called it. I don't know.if they made any in the B.model, but you could get a 2 door sedan cab in the L model where the back seat was accessed thru an walkway in the hose bed. They did not.keep.records.of.how.many of.each cab style they made. I have a three door sedan L model with a left rear suicide door. I am told that is uncommon, but Noone knows. Mike

And a couple more from the interweb....

Drew

The one with M.F.D. on the hood is probably from Minneapolis, MN.; they had Mack "B" sedan cab pumpers. Later, they purchased pumpers on IH and Ford "Louisville" 4 door

chassis. Another department that bought "B" model sedans was Port Jervis, NY. The "squirrel tail" suction hose set-up on the Memphis engine was once popular in the TN

and MO. area. It made for a faster drafting operation or to use a hard suction on a hydrant if needed. I never had to hook a hard suction to a hydrant; our hydrant pressure

and flow was sufficient for a soft suction hose.

bulldogboy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 1/20/2013 at 9:31 PM, 609albert said:

yes pete Jorgensen owned that B sedan ,don't know what happened to it thought, I purchased petes 1954 L 85 MACK ,the last truck in his collection in june of 2009, he passed away 3 months later , our MACK was also lettered TUNBRIDGE ,we did a off frame restoration that was completed in November 2012. he also had a collection of JOHN DEERE tractors.

• 2 years later...