Chicago R models

This R-model belonged to Don Sonntag. He was nice enough to get me a picture of it. Don hauled for Meyer Material for many years.

This truck was a 79 with a 237 and a twin stick. I asked him about the newer grill on the truck and he said the louvers on the R didn't

work and he really didn't care for the looks of them so one day he was at Mack and they had a newer grill there for sale so he bought it.

He repaired and repainted the truck and put the new grill on. I think this picture was taken in the early 80's. Don also had an R-model

with a bunk and then later a CH. He currently still owns a Mack which I took a picture of this morning. A former Sancken truck, I believe

he said it is an 01.

post-13943-0-09970700-1409360083_thumb.j

post-13943-0-44892500-1409360117_thumb.j

• Like 2

I am so happy I found this thread. Lots of great pictures and info on here. You seem like a great bunch of guys and have lots of knowledge about the history of the trucks and companies from back in the day. I've been in business for ten years and for my construction trucks I've used all Macks. '74 DM and '98 DM six wheelers and now I have a '98 CH 613 with 427 and Mack 13 speed. Bought the CH and my '00 Ravens dump from Zimmerman back in '09. It was originally ordered for Trumbill excavating I guess for a lowboy truck. I'll have to check the dash plaque for the correct spelling. Not sure if they are in business anymore. When I first started I use to work out in the burbs a lot, but for the last 8yrs Curran of Dekalb is where 90% of my work is so I don't get out of Dekalb and Western Kane county too much. So I don't get to see all the cool trucks like you guys do. In the spring and fall I do go down to Joliet to pick up fertilizer and that's about the only time I get to see some different stuff.

It took me awhile to read through the 1800 plus posts, but I learned a lot.

That red and white R model with the T800 grill is my buddy's. He parks where I do in Sycamore. It says Robert H Martin trucking on the door. His nickname is Snake. He use to work for Curran but they downsized last year and he went out on his own this year. A while ago you posted that it was spring time and the dump trucks were out. The yellow RD was his. It was an ex Curran truck. He got bored with that and bought a Pete. The motor went on that so he bought the red and white one. It's an '80 with a newer RD cab on it. 300 with a 13 speed. He is now pulling my grey Ravens dump cause I bought a '14 Trail King Red River belt trailer a couple weeks ago.

I would have loved to buy one of those Rossi Contracting brand new RDs with trailers cause that is my last name also. To rich for my blood to just have around as a show truck, lol

Though I remember when they were first posted on Truck Paper. My one buddy said he found me a trailer that already had my name on it, lol

I'm gonna try and get some of my buddy's old pictures from when he worked at Curran. He started in like '71 and just retired a couple years ago.

I see no one mentioned that Nagel supposedly has two brand new early 80's R models and I guess a brand new first year CH. I've heard that from a couple of people.

Plus I think Geskes still has and old R model that they cut the back half off of and use the power train to run something for the plant.

I'm not great with computers so I'll have to figure out how to post pictures and find these posters easier.

Looking forward to learning more.

This is the first time I had seen this truck this morning. I did not catch the name on the door yet and I'm not sure where it

came from but it looks like somebody took a T800 grill and put it on the front of this R-model. Interesting looking for sure.

It almost looks like a Superliner coming at you from a distance with the larger looking grill up front. It's not the worst thing

I've seen done to a truck. Definitely different.

Thats my new truck ,its a kenworth grill on it.I picked it up in Iowa last month.

Did you get caught in that cluster at Vulcan Sycamore this morning PeterMack?

Yeah, for a little bit anyway. What a bunch of pieces of Sh-t that are hauling for Ozinga/Paschen. I was on a job all day and had to go

the same way as those clowns. 35 to 45mph is all the faster they would drive. Bunch of clock suckers. Bagged 4 of them on 23 but

there was always another to get stuck behind.

Thanks for the pic of the B model. I would love to buy that truck. I was thinking about stopping by their office this winter and seeing what the story was on that truck and if I could put my name on the "call list" for if they every sell it. Also would love to see if they had some old pictures.

We got sent to the pit, thankfully on the clock, till they decided if we were gonna be able to pave or not. I was in the pit 1hr on my second load. Then we got cut off about 9:30am

Don't get me started on those trucks milking the clock. Last year it was even worse. Curran had all those trucks running cap stone/milling up to 90 and the where doing 40-45 the whole way. My truck has the 427, but she is getting tired. It was dynoed at 360 and I was able to pass them like crazy. I got into it with too many of them last year and my buddy that is a company driver, and speaks Spanish, told me that the Guys milking the clock had a hit out on me and wanted to kick my ass, lol

The nice thing is I'm usually one of the first trucks to get loaded with mix and I don't have to deal with the strokes till I lap them.

I could tell so many story's about the bs, but can't type that much.

I actually met Tom about a month ago. I didn't even know about this thread then. He I rode down to the Chi Town Large Car Show with BJ Campbell and he followed us in his Pete. I was heartbroken when he told me he sold the Greco truck.

I also met some old school construction owner ops at the show. The one guy has been doing it for 35 yrs and his family for 45. It was great to be able to hear some of the story's.

I wish I got those guys names. Maybe Tom did.

I actually met Tom about a month ago. I didn't even know about this thread then. He I rode down to the Chi Town Large Car Show with BJ Campbell and he followed us in his Pete. I was heartbroken when he told me he sold the Greco truck.

I also met some old school construction owner ops at the show. The one guy has been doing it for 35 yrs and his family for 45. It was great to be able to hear some of the story's.

I wish I got those guys names. Maybe Tom did.

Tommy is a trip for sure. He was bugging me for BJ's number because I had mentioned he was going down there, so I gave it to him, then

I quickly called BJ to apologize. I think Tom needed someone to follow. If he gets out of his little circle he gets lost.

Hey petermack don't you just hate that !!! Same when I'm out hauling equip on the big road getting behind guys doing 45 that sucks same hauling fill when you get to the dump it's a nightmare

Yeah, I get being on the clock and not getting in a hurry but 35 in a 55 is ridiculous. I think this is one of the reasons people in there cars are

so damn nuts trying to pass in no passing zones and other unsafe places because they've all gotten stuck behind one of these a-holes.

That B815 and trailer are something for sure,wish I could have bought it!

As far as I know that truck/trailer went to Georgia. I would have to ask Tom where it went exactly. Not sure if the guy was a collector or

what will happen with that truck. Hopefully it went to a good home.

• Like 1