LJ Mack tractors...

Hey Everyone,

I've been looking around again for another Mack, probably a B-model but I recently saw a restored LJ Mack tractor and love the body style. Obviously these are more rare than a B model... I was wondering what a fair price for one is? I know there can be a huge range, but it would be helpfull to have at least an idea if the sellers' asking price is in the ball park of reasonable. I would be looking for something thats complete, but a project. If anyone knows of what one sold for recently that would be helpfull info.

Thanks

Jason

For first you can put some pictures and the description on here.

There are many factors such as a type of an engine/tranny, tyre's condition, truck's location and of course a general appearence.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

When the B model was introduced in 1953,Mack continued the LJ in the heavy duty version until 1956 when the B80 series were started.Most of these later LJ's had the cast iron radiator.

Where did George Humphfrey's Hard-Nose LJ ever end up ,Mike? Kind of lost track of that one.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

"George's Tonka Toy",I don't know.He added that radiator later,when it was first restored,it had a chrome shell if I remember right,it might have been painted.

Yes. George's L model started with the sheet metal radiator shell. My parents have seen it at tractor shows down here in PA. I believe the new owner uses it to haul a steam traction engine to shows. From the pictures it doesn't look like it has been garaged or even waxed since he bought it. It used to be one of my favorite trucks.

I bought an LFT single axle for $5000 a couple years ago. The body is great, but the engine is apart. I have $10,000 in the motor and it is still not together. It has the Lanova Deisel. There is a LJ or LF single axle with a wrecker body that runs and an LJ tandem parts truck near me for sale for $12,000. The single axle is a running truck with the gas 707. It is presentable condition, but would be best if it was gone over again. The tandem needs a lot. I haven't seen too many other L models for sale. A tandem dump was sold last year. The cab and body were great with no rust, but needed paint. They were asking about $7000. I don't know what they got for it. Nice running truck though.

Mike

• Like 2

T is for single axle tractor. ST is tandem axle tractor. SW is a tandem axle straight job. SWX is a heavy duty, tandem axle straight truck. There is probably a list of all of this stuff somewhere. An LJ is a heavier truck than an LF. There are better experts than me on this subject.

Mike

Payed $4600 for my LJT 2 years ago. Body was pretty solid but needed work due to a barn falling on it. The 673 runs but seems tired. Could just be the timing is off or the injectors need repopped becuase it billows white under load. Generally it was a working truck that was parked back in 91 or 92. They definatly bring a little more cash than a B model and are alot harder to get parts for. You need to be good at fabbing/making things work to do an L model.

Yes. George's L model started with the sheet metal radiator shell. My parents have seen it at tractor shows down here in PA. I believe the new owner uses it to haul a steam traction engine to shows. From the pictures it doesn't look like it has been garaged or even waxed since he bought it. It used to be one of my favorite trucks.

I bought an LFT single axle for $5000 a couple years ago. The body is great, but the engine is apart. I have $10,000 in the motor and it is still not together. It has the Lanova Deisel. There is a LJ or LF single axle with a wrecker body that runs and an LJ tandem parts truck near me for sale for $12,000. The single axle is a running truck with the gas 707. It is presentable condition, but would be best if it was gone over again. The tandem needs a lot. I haven't seen too many other L models for sale. A tandem dump was sold last year. The cab and body were great with no rust, but needed paint. They were asking about $7000. I don't know what they got for it. Nice running truck though.

Mike

Thanks Mike, for the update on George's "Tonka Toy"! :twothumbsup:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Compaired to what I'm used to working on, I thought B model parts were kinda scarce... (made my own hinge pins for the 59 I sold). Even so, I would still go for it if the opportunity came around. This gets me a good idea at least, I'll expect to pay more for a LJ but not 3 or 4x the price of a B model in similar condition is what its sounding like.

Thanks for the info.

Jason

• 5 years later...

It sure looks  like beauty! An older gentleman in our chapter had a decent LJ he had run in the '60's. He passed,and the family  asked  me what  they should  ask for  it. I suggested  10 grand. I   think they  let it go for half of that. I   wish I would  have  bought  that one too .Al  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/26/2017 at 9:01 PM, 57 bcr said:

It sure looks  like beauty! An older gentleman in our chapter had a decent LJ he had run in the '60's. He passed,and the family  asked  me what  they should  ask for  it. I suggested  10 grand. I   think they  let it go for half of that. I   wish I would  have  bought  that one too,Unathleticdad.  Al  

is that the one from S.Beloit that used to come to Walcott?

100_0336.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Superdog said:

is that the one from S.Beloit that used to come to Walcott?

100_0336.JPG

Yes it is,Mike. Gene Olson  has it now. It's  in good  hands.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Superdog said:

maybe Gene will remember me in his will,I was truly in love with that truck.

You & me both,Mike. Charlie  and Florence were an inspiration  to us all. They had seen everything , plus! That's what made the truck so valuable to me. I got to spend a lot of  time talking with  them.  One time we had a show going on and Florence  said Charlie  really didn't  feel like going. Florence told Charlie," We have to go,Al Rhino  Is going to be there"! That just made my day. I will  never forget  that.

• Like 1