1987 R688ST is it a money pit?

I am still looking for a newer truck to work part time and restore. I found a 87 R688ST, E6 with 9 speed, unknown over all miles but supposedly engine was rebuilt and clutch done about 750000 miles ago, transmission and rears never done. Some frame cracks. Fifth wheel needs replaced. Drivers seat is worn out. Most of the tire it is being sold with will need replaced.

Cab and hood is in good shape a little surface rust, brakes and front end are good and brakes were done about a year ago. Interior is worn but complete. Runs and drives and passed DOT inspection this year.

Am I looking at money pit? I dont want to put more into it than it would be worth as it wont be considered a hobby truck but needs to earn its keep.

All opinions appreciated. Thanks

Rob

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

to pull dump trailer or low boy local. Its single framed and the frame is cracked on the top right behind the fifth wheel rail mount on the drivers side, not sure if it was a heavy trailer or that the fith wheel frame is damaged and jamed. The cracl appears to to go to about where it starts to roll down.

I thought it was alot of miles on the drive train and due to be redone, just cant afford to due all at once.

Robert

ya,,,it will be a money pit,,,and thiers really nothing wrong with that,,,but personally if i were gonna work it,,,iwould find one with a few less miles,,,and good rubber to start,,,that one sounds like a project hobby truck for someone,,for just a few G,s.......allotta times you can can find something ready to work,,for 10-12,,,g,s..bob

to pull dump trailer or low boy local. Its single framed and the frame is cracked on the top right behind the fifth wheel rail mount on the drivers side, not sure if it was a heavy trailer or that the fith wheel frame is damaged and jamed. The cracl appears to to go to about where it starts to roll down.

I thought it was alot of miles on the drive train and due to be redone, just cant afford to due all at once.

I have done both dump triailer and lowboy and a single frame truck with a cracked frame rail is a no no in my book, if its camelback suspension and the crack is behind the trunnion its not as bad but it if the suspension mounts behind the crack I think I would pass. Im with my other brother Superdog on the truck you could put 10 in it and have a nice one from the sounds of it, really just depends on you, I am not really that worried about miles on a truck I have had high mileage trucks that were in a lot better shape than 10 year newer trucks it all depends on how they were maintained, I bought my last one with a broken speedo cable and no idea how many miles were on it but it looked awfully good for an 85 to me.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

That is what I have been thinking, the more questions I ask the more I am unselling myself on the truck, at this point I think I would rather put more money out up front then try and rebuild something that is worn out. I was looking at an 86 GMC General with a 3406B and 9 speed but the interior was missing or broke, it was less money but after calling around for some basic door and dash board stuff it would have been pretty expenisive just to get the doors to latch and windows to role up.

Robert

I would say as much as I'd like you to stay with the Mack, Get what fits/fills your needs at the price you need. Even minor repairs are doable. Vs rebuilding a hole truck. This being said any make that is in the price and in good shape would be good

that crack is a no no crack its right where an overloaded truck with a songle frame breaks in two that one has been hurt.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

It is ALWAYS cheaper to find one in good condition than it is to try to turn chicken shit into chicken salad. Keep looking; that truck is as far from rare as you can get. One absolute I have learned over the years is that there is always another one out there to find if you look.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I agree with you freighttrain "rode HARD and put away wet"

Mike, I dont think I can get it for that money but who knows, I am with you the less money spent on it the better incase it becomes a part truck. I am still looking do you know of any around your area?

Robert

I agree with you freighttrain "rode HARD and put away wet"

Mike, I dont think I can get it for that money but who knows, I am with you the less money spent on it the better incase it becomes a part truck. I am still looking do you know of any around your area?

sure don't,looking for something myself but I'm hunting a Superliner.