Hi new to the forum and was looking for some tips and guidence for a 1965 Mack I'm getting started back up.

It's a 65 C-609T Mack. My question is to do with the battery setup. It had 2 battery trays with two 6volt batteries run in a series to make up 12volts from each tray that runs into a series parallel switch. The starter is a 24 volt starter and all other components run on 12 volt. My question is since the 6volts batteries need replaced can I use two 12 volt batteries one in each tray to replace the two 6volts that were once in both trays ? I'm not certain this will work but wanted to get some opinons or if someone has done this. If the two six volts in series are producting 12v from each battery tray wouldn't one 12 volt work in both trays and be the same setup? thanks, JR

post-13037-0-53825300-1350999561_thumb.j

Welcome aboard. Pretty nice looking C.

Yes, you could just stick a 12v battery in each side and likely will start without too much issue. Plenty of guys still have 12/24 starting, but if you plan on using it regularly, then swapping it to 12v is a better deal. Install an alternator and change it over to NEG. ground so regular accy's are usable.

I fought with my truck the first summer with original series/parallel switch, then switched it over to 12v starter and run two 12v batteries.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

It isn't really matter to use 2 of 6V or 1 of 12V. At the moment I easily start my R with 673 E6-350 with only one 12V battery and also start from time to time the army truck with 707 gasser with only one 12V car capacity battery. During a summer. Although it's better to have a pair of 12V parallel truck size boxes.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Thanks for all the responses, I may just go with the 12v on each side for now the truck is stored in a heat controlled warehouse and isn't used anymore. Its my grandfathers and I'm just fixing some odds and ends as well as changing fluids getting her ready to fire up again. Its been about 15yrs since it has fired. Reason I was wondering about batteries I have 12v at hand for our fleet rather then going out and buying four new 6volts. But I totoally agree if this was a regularly started truck I would ditch the series parallel switch. I just wanted to make certain the two 12v batteries would crank her over instead of the 4 6v in series.

JR, I'm just up route 23 from you. I had heard about that truck but I never saw it. I have a rebuilt SP switch if you wanted to try it. (2) 12V batteries should work just fine. If you need a hand, send me an email d.igou@gerhartmachinery.com and I'll give you a cell phone #.

Dave

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

Thanks for all the responses, I may just go with the 12v on each side for now the truck is stored in a heat controlled warehouse and isn't used anymore. Its my grandfathers and I'm just fixing some odds and ends as well as changing fluids getting her ready to fire up again. Its been about 15yrs since it has fired. Reason I was wondering about batteries I have 12v at hand for our fleet rather then going out and buying four new 6volts. But I totoally agree if this was a regularly started truck I would ditch the series parallel switch. I just wanted to make certain the two 12v batteries would crank her over instead of the 4 6v in series.

hey man welcome aboard,,,and good luck with it,,,looks pretty good...bob