are mack fans a endangered species ?

As a fleet driver, I've driven them all... Enjoyed the Macks and endured the rest. Paccar products are largely overrated antiques, Freightshakers... well, shake themselves to bits. Whites, Volvos, Internationals, and Fords are OK if you don't ask too much of them. But if you're going to be trucking on city streets or two lane roads or where there ain't no roads, get a Mack.

when i was growing up i was surrounded by B42 gutless wonder Mack trucks. I was about seven years old sitting in my grandfathers lap stearing a B42 around the yard that made him an honest living for many years. I felt like a king. your not gonna get that driving some truck that's buillt out of everbody elses parts. i had a good friend who is still to this day a die hard PACCAR truck lover. I told him Mack is the only purebreed truck on the road. he said to me what's a Pete then? I told him it was a f***** over army truck with a pretty set of frame rails and cab. sorry done with my rant. there's only one purebread truck on the road. why do you think when you open up a truck trader there still advertising 40 year old MACK trucks for sale but out of all the other major brands none of them are older than 15????????

• Like 1

Brian

1959 B61T

now you guys need to contemplate this. MACK won't build you what you want. or it is taking them to damn long to come out with a resonable sleeper for the Titan. EVERY OTHER manufacturer will build you damn near anything you want and how you want it spec'd. It's as simple as that. Mack wants to play with the big boys and have more sales build what the customers want and not dictate this is what we will build. That being said I'll put my Pete against any Mack out there in a pull. and go just about anywhere with my trailer in tow.

Mack had a chance to get a customer out of me a few times. what I was told. This is what we have take it or leave it. If I wanted a small sleeper short wheel base I would of gotten that. They didn't want to deal found someone that would. also Volvo won't put the 625 in anthing other then the 800 series Trucks. Why would I want to get a heavy spec'd truck and not have the big motor.

Not knocking them to much but I have to get my equipment with who wants to play ball and have what I need. Sorry for the rant..

• Like 1

One thing about what people want or like, it's what influences you every day. When I was a kid all that we saw on Long Island was Lizza, Zarra, Pratt, Bromen, Prefered and Colonial B models, R models and Autocars. Farm and municipal trucks were Macks, FWD, Internationals and GMC/Chevys. Oil and Coal companies had Macks, Fords or Whites, Local business and small contractors had Fords, Chevies or Dodges. But Mack and Autocar were what I saw the most of. I only saw other brand trucks on T.V. or movies. I pass another Mack now, its as rare as when I was a kid seeing a Pete, K.W. or other brand. Same I'm sure holds true now. I can't really say I always wanted a Mack, it just seemed natural to have one, it's what I grew up with. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

One thing about what people want or like, it's what influences you every day. When I was a kid all that we saw on Long Island was Lizza, Zarra, Pratt, Bromen, Prefered and Colonial B models, R models and Autocars. Farm and municipal trucks were Macks, FWD, Internationals and GMC/Chevys. Oil and Coal companies had Macks, Fords or Whites, Local business and small contractors had Fords, Chevies or Dodges. But Mack and Autocar were what I saw the most of. I only saw other brand trucks on T.V. or movies. I pass another Mack now, its as rare as when I was a kid seeing a Pete, K.W. or other brand. Same I'm sure holds true now. I can't really say I always wanted a Mack, it just seemed natural to have one, it's what I grew up with. Paul

this country was built with mack trucks any where there was hard work to be done there was a mack doing it like my grandfather said if there is ever any thing better than a mack made mack will make it ..the people that like paccar dont work on them....

I think it looks interesting. But now the trans? Looks like a 13 speed mated to the back of a super 10. Unless I just can't see the flip switch on the front of the grey knobed shifter. The seat bases ehh as I'm not into purple to much. or checker board. I do like the shifters. Doors are unique.

ya,,looks good sept for the chains,,checkers,,and flag stones,,,interesting thou with all that custom shit,,,he used that boring seat,,,looks like it came outa my taurus.lol.bob

now you guys need to contemplate this. MACK won't build you what you want. or it is taking them to damn long to come out with a resonable sleeper for the Titan. EVERY OTHER manufacturer will build you damn near anything you want and how you want it spec'd. It's as simple as that. Mack wants to play with the big boys and have more sales build what the customers want and not dictate this is what we will build. That being said I'll put my Pete against any Mack out there in a pull. and go just about anywhere with my trailer in tow.

Mack had a chance to get a customer out of me a few times. what I was told. This is what we have take it or leave it. If I wanted a small sleeper short wheel base I would of gotten that. They didn't want to deal found someone that would. also Volvo won't put the 625 in anthing other then the 800 series Trucks. Why would I want to get a heavy spec'd truck and not have the big motor.

Not knocking them to much but I have to get my equipment with who wants to play ball and have what I need. Sorry for the rant..

rant on man,,,least your hear with us,,,lol..it it will make you feel better,,,i drove only one pete,,in my life for a short while,,,i was pretty impressed with it,,ride,,lane control,,was pretty impressive.,,,was never crazy about thier looks,,,but compared to todays styles,,,thier certainly not the ugliest thing out there..bob

one thing I forgot as crazy as it sounds riding down low is pretty comfortable. Friend of mine told me that and I thought he was off his rocker. I tried it and still do it to this day. Not all the time but I'll ride low. But seat comes up if I need to manuver where I need the extra line of site. Usually ride with enough air not to bottom out unless it is a huge bump

hell half those pricks won't wave to me and I am in a Pete. They are kinda cliquish. Bull Racks generally only wave to bull racks, Dump buckets to other dumps and so on and so forth. I usually wave to everyone when I feel like being socialble

Hell, the waving thing can be strange even within the same company. I have my truck set up to pull any trailer the company has. I've been affiliated with the company for several years now and so I've run with a lot of the guys in the area. When I'm pulling a dump trailer, the dump guys will wave and talk to me on the CB...but the tank guys ignore me. When I'm pulling a tank, the tanker guys will wave and talk to me on the CB...but the dump guys ignore me. We all drive for the same damn company. I just ran with them the other day....but I swapped trailers so now I don't exist to them. :icon_bs:

Only real difference is with the other O/O's....doesn't matter what trailer they are pulling or what I happen to be hooked to, the ones that know me wave & chat....and even the ones who don't know me will wave & give bear reports.

Company drivers are just pricks. :blah:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

View Post41chevy, on 13 September 2012 - 12:43 PM, said:

this country was built with mack trucks any where there was hard work to be done there was a mack doing it like my grandfather said if there is ever any thing better than a mack made mack will make it ..the people that like paccar dont work on them....

Other than my Marmon and old I.H farm truck, I never drove any other makes, never owned a Jap bike or a foreign car period

I own 7 Macks now, you don't have to sell me on whats the best. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I agree slpwalker ...

Mack wants to play with the heavy haul stuff. Then they better offer the same and more than its competition. The Titan is over priced and has no sleeper option. Pete and kw offer cabs that work better with heavy haul. And are cheaper. I think macks are built better than paccar trucks but lack important o/o options that people request in a truck.

I hate to say it guys, but our B models of yesterday were in class by themselves. And the 100% Mack driveline was a selling point for sure. But today, as someone else said-thjey've been "Volvonized"-or words to that effect. My concern is some day the big cheeses in Sweden will say..."why do we need Mack? Its our engine? duplicated costs, blah blah".

Keep in mind, the customer base that saw the value of an integrated truck-engine, trans,axles_ is getting older (ugh!). And while no one has that same degree of integration today, they are working at it-at least as far as engines are concerned with F'liner having Detroit and Mercedes power, Paccar their own engines via their Euro connection and now even International with their own attempt at building big power.

As for the comments on today's "drivers", I say when I'm going down the road in my 56 year old B-61, some guys-young and old will blow horns, wave, thumbs up etc. Others go by and no recognition-I might as well be driving a Toyota corolla. The difference? As I see it, some guys have a passion for what they do-others drive a truck for a living and that is it-no passion for what they do.

actually the titan does have sleeper options now . but only 36 inch coffin and possibly 42 or 48 . i have seen one in canada with a 60 70 inch bunk looked sweet ,and when we compared prices of titans and western star the titan was about 5k more . but yeah peterbilt is cheaper

actually the titan does have sleeper options now . but only 36 inch coffin and possibly 42 or 48 . i have seen one in canada with a 60 70 inch bunk looked sweet ,and when we compared prices of titans and western star the titan was about 5k more . but yeah peterbilt is cheaper

I forgot they offered that 36" bunk now but lets be honest. If you are stuck out on the road for 2 weeks+ do you think a 36" bunk would cut it? And if you wanted say a 60" stand up it would have to be custom installed. Now your looking at 15- 20k more than a western star, and likely 25k+ more than Pete or kw. I'm not knocking a Titan but if mack wants into the game why am I paying more and getting a lot less.

From what I see is todays company's, they don't personaly build up there trucks like the old days. People want turn key units with the options that work for their fleet. Adding lights or some chrome is easy, having to install big bunks not so much.

I know titans have there use as day cabs but they completely missed the otr heavy haul market.

• Like 1

I forgot they offered that 36" bunk now but lets be honest. If you are stuck out on the road for 2 weeks+ do you think a 36" bunk would cut it? And if you wanted say a 60" stand up it would have to be custom installed. Now your looking at 15- 20k more than a western star, and likely 25k+ more than Pete or kw. I'm not knocking a Titan but if mack wants into the game why am I paying more and getting a lot less.

From what I see is todays company's, they don't personaly build up there trucks like the old days. People want turn key units with the options that work for their fleet. Adding lights or some chrome is easy, having to install big bunks not so much.

I know titans have there use as day cabs but they completely missed the otr heavy haul market.

Thats it. i take my dog, and my fiance. We are also out 3 to 5 months at a time. Or unless I find a load going home. We spend alot of time in motels. But if we had that small bunk it would be everyday. I would love a 70" or something like the Kw 86 done up right. We got a 63 now and it is just to small. A 70 or so done right has alot of room. Unless your getting Mack rears or Motor and trans it is just another truck just with a Bulldog on it. When I get ready to upgrade or add to my fleet I'll look at Mack first. Probably not going to get a real heavy spec truck like my Pete unless one falls in my lap for a great price. Probably just get a light spec'd truck and eith drive it myself or put someone in it.

i think youll see bigger sleepers as an option in the future. im not sure why you cant get a 70 inch mid rise on the titan because in australia they offer them with big bunks. the tian is a great truck though . i love ours it is like nothing else on the road. great visability with the high cab and the hood tilts down just enough. power is great and engine brake is amazing . and it has a bulldog on the hood and its rare . pete 379/389 and kw w900 are dime a dozen nothing special abou them anymore . maybe 20 yrs ago they were more rare but now everyone has them . id rather be different . just my opinion.

I saw this tread a pair of days ago but hadn't time to read.

Because understood it's interestig and actual.

I heard same opinions owerhere in Russia.

Reading all that above I was enjoyed there are many heavy facts, not just a naked "the best of the best".

What's about me?

I'm here!

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012