ok i know we have all watched it 10 bazillion times. was bored and watched it today. noticed at the beginning when dirty lyle pulls them in the bear port, when the camera zooms down twards duck's hammer foot the truck has two brake pedals! at the end of the movie when they are takin off from alverez texas, it has the regular Mack tredle valve and pedal. anyone know if this was a screw up or two brake pedals for some kinda stunt? also noticed when pig pen hits the ice cream truck, when he is tryin to slow down, the door is already layin in the street. and why the hell would the sheriff ''Stacey Love'' be in Texas in that shot chewing on his cigar when he was suppose to be hundreds of miles away in new mexico? just my pet peeves about a 35 year old movie . you watch it 5000 times, you pick up on stuff.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

ok i know we have all watched it 10 bazillion times. was bored and watched it today. noticed at the beginning when dirty lyle pulls them in the bear port, when the camera zooms down twards duck's hammer foot the truck has two brake pedals! at the end of the movie when they are takin off from alverez texas, it has the regular Mack tredle valve and pedal. anyone know if this was a screw up or two brake pedals for some kinda stunt? also noticed when pig pen hits the ice cream truck, when he is tryin to slow down, the door is already layin in the street. and why the hell would the sheriff ''Stacey Love'' be in Texas in that shot chewing on his cigar when he was suppose to be hundreds of miles away in new mexico? just my pet peeves about a 35 year old movie . you watch it 5000 times, you pick up on stuff.

I drove a DM600 with a wet clutch that was air controlled with a air brake pedal, it was a real pain in the ass to get used too!!

BULLHUSK

Always like the guy and his girl in the car eatin weed, and watching her run ... oh boy, run girl run

you ain't kidding haha. i've seen it so many times i think i know every line by heart. when i was younger i used to watch it like it was a television series lol. i still get chills down my back listening to the movie version of the song

Brian

1959 B61T

For those of you who aren't familiar with the IMdB site, here's some details on the movie. Much of what's on there has already been discussed on various truck related web sites by the 10 bazillion of us who've seen the movie 10 bazillion times.

My spellchecker didn't catch bazillion.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077369/

Jim

i have a black wheel thats nearly perfect and was thinking about painting. im buildin a 66 R600 and bolted the swing down clutch pedal along with the telescoping steering column and a cable clutch in. suprisingly everything from a 1980 western cab RL600 bolted right up under the dash.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

The shot of the split brake pedal was of the inside of an International Transtar. The shot of Chief Stacy Love in the crowd when Pig Pen hits the truck was accidentally left in. Peckinpah quit the production and Garth Craven was brought in to finish the edit. Peckinpah had submitted a 4 hour cut to the studio, complete with very odd themes and scenes, upside down shots, etc, in an effort to get more time and more money to reshoot. The studio fired him as a result. The shot of Chief Love was part of a sequence of shots of previously seen characters in the crowd of the ice cream truck wreck. One of the shots cut included a shot of Pig Pen standing in the crowd looking up at himself and laughing. A lot of odd stuff was cut, but also a ton of scenes that helped advance the plot were cut as well. There's very little explanation into how the FBI got involved and how Lyle kept getting ahead of them, but it was clearly outlined in the novel, the screenplay and in Peckinpah's cut. If you REALLY want to know the details, read a copy of the book by B.W.L. Norton and you'll get more answers. We were unable to get the version Peckinpah submitted to EMI released for distribution, but I have watched it and, to the enthusiast, is very fulfilling.

I have a copy of the paperback from back when the movie was released. Guess I need to read it to refresh my memory. I'm not much of a reader, so the movie was always better in that aspect. Though movies never copy the book exactly(as shown here). I'm guessing that typing another page in a book is alot cheaper then filming a few dozen scenes to pass along the same information.

It's great to have you, Dan, to fill in all the blanks and answer all the questions.

I also have High Ball'n in paperback. My two favorite movies growing up.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I guess i'm the exception to the rule,i never liked this movie,despite the good publicity/placement of Mack trucks,i guess to my way of thinking what owner-operator in his right mind would puposely destroy his own truck? the thing that provides you a means to make a living? just about every trucking movie made has some numbnuts crashing through a road-block,running cars off the road,driving through a giant glass sign,etc. Mike Parkhurst (the founder/editor of OVERDRIVE magazine) TRIED to make a movie about trucking,and show the truckdrivers as real everyday heroes,but when the money (his own) ran out,he decided to try and find some fianancial backers to help finish the project,but was told it was not "hollywood" enough,and it was their way or no way! the end result was a crappy movie by anybodies standards, (moonfire)that did feature some really nice Macks (RL-700,FL-700) but was involved with spaceships,spies,nazi's,astronauts etc. so i doubt there will ever by any realstic movie ever made about trucking............it always bothered me that they "dubbed-in" a screamin' yamaha inplace of the good old tip-turbine Mack in convoy's soundtrack,whats up with that?.....................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Mark,

No one would pay to see a "realistic" movie about trucks & truck drivers, just like they wouldn't pay to see a movie about real cops, real bad guys, real anything. Even "based on a true story" is more fiction then reality.