Mark,

I'm partly with you.

I like to look the movie, I saw Mack trucks there for the first time and it influenced for all my life.

Although I was 10 years kid when I saw the movie.

Yeah, there are many funny scenes of crashes and so on. A lot of humor as like Dirty Lyel shoots to the bar seat.

Although when I came elder and get the mind of a matter of the story it looks nonsence to me.

It maybe keeps some thin reason of relation between drivers and cops that was in the book and lost in the movie, don't know.

I must say also I don't like cinema at all. Not all the cinema but book reconstructions. Book is always greater of a content then a film.

So don't get the movie too serious to yourself and just enjoy an action !

Dan,

Thank you for info,

I saw your web side many times with a lot of interest, too glad about your hobby and enjoy your truck and your care about it too much.

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 2 weeks later...

dont think ive ever seen that one,,,but if you want reality,,,they drive by night was pretty close to life i thought bogart and raft,,,pretty good flick,might be a little slow for some.,,i bought it found on 5 dollar rack,lol...but it seemed more appealling when i was a teenager,,,,guess everything did....bob

I guess i'm the exception to the rule,i never liked this movie,despite the good publicity/placement of Mack trucks,i guess to my way of thinking what owner-operator in his right mind would puposely destroy his own truck? the thing that provides you a means to make a living? just about every trucking movie made has some numbnuts crashing through a road-block,running cars off the road,driving through a giant glass sign,etc. Mike Parkhurst (the founder/editor of OVERDRIVE magazine) TRIED to make a movie about trucking,and show the truckdrivers as real everyday heroes,but when the money (his own) ran out,he decided to try and find some fianancial backers to help finish the project,but was told it was not "hollywood" enough,and it was their way or no way! the end result was a crappy movie by anybodies standards, (moonfire)that did feature some really nice Macks (RL-700,FL-700) but was involved with spaceships,spies,nazi's,astronauts etc. so i doubt there will ever by any realstic movie ever made about trucking............it always bothered me that they "dubbed-in" a screamin' yamaha inplace of the good old tip-turbine Mack in convoy's soundtrack,whats up with that?.....................Mark

I agree with some of what you say. It's a pity there aren't more down to earth trucker movies but I still think Convoy has its moments, like that opening sequence when the Mack first appears topping the hill in Whitesands and it is one of those films I can watch again and again. I still think it's better than many of the other offerings of the time like Smokey and the Bandit, White line Fever etc. and it came from a Director known for some good movies like the Wild Bunch and the Getaway. For all its oddities I do like Moonfire as well as it does touch on the everyday lives of Truckers and it has some great footage of those Macks crossing desserts etc.

One I really like is Deadhead Miles with a very young Allan Arkin. A very strange movie but somehow likeable all the same. I just wish there were more to choose from because the truck movie craze was pretty short lived. Not even sure if I could do a top 10!