E7 fuel in crankcase oil

RNRLOBSTA

Just wondering if anyone could help out on this one.E7 american marine diesel in commercial lobster boat coming up on 10,000 hours. in approximatly 60 hours the crankcase was over filled by approx 1 gal with what im assuming is fuel.Sending out oil sample to confirm,but there ain't much else it can be.Oil is diluted and oil pressure drop is noted.this has been going on for the last couple hundred hours.Engine runs great no smoke,starts easy,temp 180.Not sure where to start looking,Lift pump,injector seals,injector pump.what say you?thanks in advance

If I'm not mistaken, 97, 98 are the E-("junk") tech (with 6 EUP's) or good old E-7 (Inline pump) cross over years.

whoops, never mind.... mechanical means old E-7 My bad.

Edited by bbigrig

Thanks for the replies,honestly i didnt expect any replies.I think the dye job and blacklight trick will work.I didnt realize that id see the fuel at the top of the heads,i guess it will seep pass the caps that hold the injectors down if the o-rings are bad.We had the injectors out about 2500 hours ago after a cracked exhust manifold filled up a cylinder with coolant.Well thanks again. i'll report back when i get this done

• 9 years later...

Wait what! Cracked exhaust manifold equals water in your oil? No my friend that's not quite right. If you have water in your oil chances are your oil cooler is bad it's a common problem on the e-techs. There's no coolant running through your exhaust manifold. Lol. Either that or a head gasket is torched. Look in your expansion tank and see if you have milky mud sitting on top of your coolant if you do your oil cooler is bad. $1000 for a new one online

I work on a fleet of 6 Mack trucks all with E-tech engines. 2 with mechanical injection and 4 with electronic andi have encountered every scenario you can think of and have diagnosed and repaired every scenario you could come up with and one crucial piece of advice i can give all E-tech owners is KEEP THE OIL CHANGED!!! these are roller cam engines and dirty oil = bad lifter wheel and wiped out camshaft and that is more costly and time consuming than doing an inframe bottom end overhaul! Keep that oil CHANGED. ANYONE has any issues or questions on your etech feel free to ask me cuz i been there, done that!

Water in the cylinder means bad head gasket or sleeve seals. You need to just pull it down and buy an inframe overhaul kit with sleeves pistons and bearings cuz if you do just a head gasket chances are you will be back in there again. Be sure you replace the head bolts cuz they lose their tensile properties. Head bolts stretch and that's what keeps clamping tension always pulling the head to the block. You do not want to re use head bolts cuz they won't stretch a second time. Oh and use only genuine Mack head gaskets. If ever i need to pull heads off i always use Mack head gaskets and head bolts. Everything else i go aftermarket

Edited by Len

And the engine in the original talk was a boat application. My guess is if you have water all around you some also may circulate over exhaust manifold. I'm not familiar with marine engine engineering though.

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Hello Len. I was wondering what the maximum amount of shim's is allowable, after cutting the counterbore in an E-Tech?  I havent found any info on this.. joojo

• Like 1

my guess is the liners with the orings near the top of the liner. Mack did away with them when the E-Tech came out.   I dont remember them in the first E-Tech's, but maybe.. I know I built a few E-7's that had them and the new liner kits did not... Of course I have only built about 30 of these engine's,  so I really haven't seen it all yet..   jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
More content needed

Maybe the Mods here can put a separate section for him where people can visit to have their problems solved. I don't know, maybe call it "Ask Len. Your One Stop Shop For Problem Solving. Cuz I've Been There, Done That".

V

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 880joe said:

Maybe the people on here with more knowledge than Len could help him instead of make fun of him

I wasn't making Fun of Len, (Far From It) I was Merely pointing out that He had revived a Thread that was one Month short of 10 years Old, since It's last Post....!!!

11 hours ago, 880joe said:

all he was trying to do was help another member on here with a problem

The Member in Question only has made 4 posts Forum-Wide. .All in this Thread from 10 Years ago. & who hasn't logged on since then..!!

The chances of RNRLOBSTA reading & making use of Len's Posts is (IN My Opinion) Slim to None....!!

9 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

Len get back in here we would like for you to feel welcome in here

I wholeheartedly Agree...!!

You clearly have real-world Practical Experience in working on Mack Product. Which(In My Opinion) trumps Theory & Book Knowledge every day of the Week..!!

• Like 2

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -