Could this be the Father of the U-Model?

img2246C is a 2948 LMSW-M soft nose.the M meaning mining but were used extensivly in logging.In 1949 they changed them to a hard nose(cast radiator) same as LT's and called themLMSW-L.L meaning logging.They had same frame as LJSWX's but 65000lb rear axles,FA600 front axle-same as LJSWX's heavier main transmisson but same 3 speed brownny aux. as LJSWX's.The engine in a LMSW-M were Mack 707 gas ,200 or 275 Cummins ,or Buda diesels.the LMSW -L had NHRBS @275 standard engine.There a lot here on west coast both in U S and B C in the logging industry.Bob D

• Like 1

img2246C is a 2948 LMSW-M soft nose.the M meaning mining but were used extensivly in logging.In 1949 they changed them to a hard nose(cast radiator) same as LT's and called themLMSW-L.L meaning logging.They had same frame as LJSWX's but 65000lb rear axles,FA600 front axle-same as LJSWX's heavier main transmisson but same 3 speed brownny aux. as LJSWX's.The engine in a LMSW-M were Mack 707 gas ,200 or 275 Cummins ,or Buda diesels.the LMSW -L had NHRBS @275 standard engine.There a lot here on west coast both in U S and B C in the logging industry.Bob D

Thank you for that information, Bob.

I love those. They are my second favorite Mack, and I would love to find one.

I saw this truck and thought of you, Vinny.

• Like 1

man thats quite a rundown,,,thanks bob

The license plate was a give away on the basics. I knew right off it was a LM sumthinorudder as I've seen pics of those early offset cab trucks.

Thanks for filling in all the blanks John.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Only posting on here to be informative and set the record straight. I do not have all of my paperwork with me at the moment and I am on information overload from Springfield and I just got home with the DM after leaving at 1 AM this morning.

I own (3) LMSWs (and am trying to get a fourth one), a 1945 LMSWM, a 1946 LMSWM, and a 1953 LMSWL. I have done a ton of research on the LMSW line which I am willing to share with anyone who would like to now more about them.

The Mack FC/FCSW preceeded the Mack LMSWM & L by several years and was the first production chassis to offer the offset cab.

The pictured truck is a 1948 LMSW-M, vin # LM2DM 2415. The truck was sold through the Hartford Mack Branch to Arute Brothers Inc. of New Britain, CT. The truck is owned by Scott Suzio of Suzio Concrete in Meriden, CT. Before Suzio had it, Alan Anderson used it for moving houses, among other things, in the New England area.

This particular truck has a 707 Gas engine, TRDX13 9 speed OD transmission, FA26 front axle, and 65K Mack rears. The LMSW-M and LMSW-Ls were actually produced side by side as early as 1948. I have most of the chassis records for the LMSW series and they were certainly built together, the LMSW-L was not a replacement for the LMSWM, just a higher horsepower variant when introduced.

Mostly all of the LMSWMs came with the FA26(26,000lb capacity) front axle, TRDX13 trans, and 65K rears. The engine options included 707 Gas, 150 & 200 Cummins, and possibly others. LMSWMs had two different frames and two different front spring hangers for the front axle. Possibly the later was the same as an LJSWX, but the earlier version, built between 1940 and 1946, had a different frame with tapered rails up front and a dual pin spring hanger, whereas the later versions had a single pin.

The LMSW-L was actually a lighter duty truck chassis wise. The frame is slightly lighter with the double frame only going to the front of the cab cowling. The front frame rails open up wide to allow for more engine room, and the front axle sits on a fabricated front perch that is wider than the standard frame rails. Most, but not all only had the lighter FA600 front axle. I have seen a few with the FA26 style gussetted front spokes, but I believe these were only heavier from the spindle out. Mack used the same front spoke arrangement on the Mack FW and some FCs, however, that was not an FA26 axle. Some LRs also used this heavy front spoke before the 8 spoke design.

All to my knowledge had 5 speed Mack Main transmissions and Brown-Lipe/Spicer 8031C. Most were equipped with 275 Supercharged Cummins power, but I have seen Budas as well.

BTW...I long enjoyed the informational exchange on this forum, by I cannot take the language and abusive comments I find all to often on here. I will be the first to admit, that I curse like a drunken sailor and will break stones with the best of them, but I don't feel that an on-line forum is the place for it. Not one that uses an American Icon's trade name in its title anyway. Just my opinion. Take it for what its worth.

Not mad at anyone, just don't need the bs. I read the forum regularly, and I will PM anyone who has specific needs I can help with.

Take Care...

John A. Pearson

Awesome info!!

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

• 1 year later...

I've built a couple of this guy's kits. They're a little pricey for 1/50 scale, but they're pretty high quality. The pre built ones are about twice what a kit costs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-50-Mack-LMWS-M-Tractor-Rogers-wobble-Ready-Made-Resin-Model-by-Dan-Models-/261243230344?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item3cd34f5888

Jake

I've built a couple of this guy's kits. They're a little pricey for 1/50 scale, but they're pretty high quality. The pre built ones are about twice what a kit costs. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-50-Mack-LMWS-M-Tractor-Rogers-wobble-Ready-Made-Resin-Model-by-Dan-Models-/261243230344?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item3cd34f5888

Yes, very expensive, and even the kits will arrive from Romania damaged. But if you really want the best, go twice size to 1/25 scale & start with one of these: http://www.aitruckmodels.com/pages/ck11macklm.html, or this one: http://www.aitruckmodels.com/pages/ck59macklmswl.html

• Like 2

Richard Mark

Owner / Master Model Maker

Industrial Model Design
Ap40rocktruck

AITM Dave Natalie does a few in 1/25 scale also.

http://www.aitruckmodels.com/pages/ck11macklm.html

http://www.aitruckmodels.com/pages/ck59macklmswl.html

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I knew I had a picture of one of these trucks. It was from the 2011 ATHS convention in South Bend In. I had

to go back and look through my show time book and it said this was a 1951 LMSWL out of Alexandria OH.

Looks like it has a Cummins in it. Nice looking restoration job.

post-13943-0-77913700-1375842780_thumb.j

• Like 2