Batteries are driving me crazy

Voltage regulator? Possibly cooking the battery by overcharging? What does your ammeter look like when you're running down the road? What about when idling?

Are you changing all of them? Or just 1 or 2 that "test" bad?

I'm not a fan of "cheap" batteries....not anymore. Not after I had one blow up.

post-1673-0-98893500-1332616251_thumb.jp

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Shows 14.2 volts on the vmack running

12.2 when I shut down

I've been in the south west all winter

I keep it shut off as much as possible

I run the fridg, tv, key on acc. For raidio, dome light, phone charger, an occasional pt off coffee

How depleted do the batteries get powering all of that stuff overnight while the truck is shut off? Lead acid batteries like to remain as close to fully charged as possible....charging & running 'em down repeatedly tends to shorten their life cycle.

Possibly switching to some deep cycle batteries would help?

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

your alt could have a short in it. try this leave the truck sit over night then in the morning before you start it feel the alt with your hand. if its warm or hot then its getting juice. also try putting rubber under your batteries. it will stop some of the vibration of the batteries. Ive tried them all. Bulldog batteries always gave me problems. Same with interstate. Now Ive gone with DEKA and haven't had a problem. My dad also swears by them, having luck with them for a good many years.

The starter seems to spin fine, I get one slow start then no start.

I get a jump or charge, the batteries all check good, let them set 24hrs and one or two will check bad

When that battery exploded, I disconnected the cables to it and ran off the other two the rest of the day. Truck still fired up just fine without that battery connected. While I've never tried it, I would imagine the truck would also start with just one battery.

In other words, the batteries don't have to be 100% for the starter to spin the engine "normally".

You might also look into the AGM batteries that a lot of these truck makers are putting in to power the truck accessories while the truck is shut off....getting to be more and more common as more and more states become "no idle" zones.

Also you may check for a draw on the battiers.

true, you can take a post off with everything turned off-everything-and touch the post to the terminal and if you get any little arc at all, you've got a drain somewhere. I had one on the mixer,it would sit for months at a time and start right up, then all of a sudden the batteries would go down in a week or so. I put battery disconnect switches on both batteries and turn them off when i'm not using it and haven't had any more problems. This would not be a good solution for you of course.

If the problem is indeed the batteries themselves, these are excellent batteries. Lot of 4-wheelrs used them back in my mud bogging days, but they certainly aren't cheap.

http://shop.optimabatteries.com/products/category/Commercial/1737.0.1.1.54254.25724.0.0.0

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I'm thinking it's from drawing them down and charging them up along with shock and vibration

Next time I'm going deep cycle with rubber under them.

Just got it run up in my guts from petro

$653.00 co&@;:rs

Use deep cycle batteries as starting batteries and you will be dissapointed by the short lifespan. They are not made for this internally.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yeah, it's a little more expensive than the "el cheapo" batteries....and I've never tried 'em in a big truck, but Die Hard batteries have done pretty well in my pickups. My '92 Ranger had one in it when I bought it over 5 years ago...truck sits for months at a time....starts right up with the first turn of the key. My F250 was eating an Exide battery every 6-8 months....put a Die Hard in it and no more issues.

3 year free replacement sounds good, too.....wouldn't hurt to ask if that will be honored if you have problems with them in the Mack. Sears stores are all over the place...so finding 'em shouldn't be too hard.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850131000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

THE MOST POWERFUL AND RELIABLE DIEHARD PLATINUM MARINE BATTERY EVER!

• 3-year FREE Replacement Limited Warranty

• 1150 Cold Cranking Amps – Provides power for RVs, trolling motors, marine accessories, and starting needs in all weather conditions, due to the use of 99.99% pure virgin lead plates and tin-coated brass terminals

• 205 Minutes of reserve capacity - Ideal for multiple electronic accessories

• Deep discharge recovery – Ideal for marine & deep cycle applications

• Combination stud/post terminal design – for multiple connections

• Longer off-season storage time – Ideal for boats

• AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) construction - Provides mounting flexibility & guarantees longer service life

• Worry and maintenance-free operation - High purity grade acid held safely in place by glass mats makes a non-spillable design that gives mounting flexibility

• Military-grade construction & proven vibration resistance – Offers superior vibration resistance

I like "Deka" branded industrial batteries by East-Penn. It is about all we use high vibration environments. Optima batteries are very good in this application as they use absorbed glass mat fiber which stands up well to harsh environments.

What ever you purchase about every month or so, using a spray bottle of baking soda and water, spray the tops of the batteries and wash them clean. There are minute trace currents always leaching from the cells due to corrosion and this actually shortens the lifespan due to internal heating.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

"Do you have a suggestion ????"

What if you run two batteries for the truck and one deep cycle for the accessories. You can isolate the deep cycle so the alt will charge it and not be used for the starter. With a disconnect it could be used for starting if necessary.

"Do you have a suggestion ????"

What if you run two batteries for the truck and one deep cycle for the accessories. You can isolate the deep cycle so the alt will charge it and not be used for the starter. With a disconnect it could be used for starting if necessary.

I would run three starting batteries and a single deep cycle with a battery isolator on the deep cycle. Two starting batteries is marginal in colder climate during the winter months with his size engine. If you install two isolatos with one having an adjustable "pinch off" voltage, all four batteries could be used in the accessories mode. The first isolator would cut the starting batteries out of the circuit yet allow them enough contained energy to start the vehicle. The deep cycle cell could be run to very near completly flat in charge.

Deep cycle batteries suffer from what is known as "memory effect" meaning the large amount of inrush current used for starter motor cranking can reduce the instantaneous available current in repeated use of it's purpose. Basically, they will deplete faster when used in the deep cycle environment. Deep cycle batteries are constructed to where they will absorb the near complete discharge and a recharge cycle repeatedly. Starting batteries are not and will decay in service ability very quickly when used in the deep cycle role.

Rob

I like "Deka" branded industrial batteries by East-Penn. It is about all we use high vibration environments. Optima batteries are very good in this application as they use absorbed glass mat fiber which stands up well to harsh environments.

What ever you purchase about every month or so, using a spray bottle of baking soda and water, spray the tops of the batteries and wash them clean. There are minute trace currents always leaching from the cells due to corrosion and this actually shortens the lifespan due to internal heating.

Rob

Rob,

I do this to all my trucks(baking soda) even my 05 Dodge 3500 with the Cummins which still has the orig. fac. batteries!! One other thing that I have found is that I have been trying Cat. batteries in some of the trucks that are at my Pa. location (a little colder up there) with good results!! I guess when you think about it, they do bounce around an take a lot of abuse in the heavy equipment no? I guess time will tell

Ernie DS

Rob,

I do this to all my trucks(baking soda) even my 05 Dodge 3500 with the Cummins which still has the orig. fac. batteries!! One other thing that I have found is that I have been trying Cat. batteries in some of the trucks that are at my Pa. location (a little colder up there) with good results!! I guess when you think about it, they do bounce around an take a lot of abuse in the heavy equipment no? I guess time will tell

Ernie DS

Hi Ernie, Cat branded batteries are the same as I mentioned earlier manufactured by East Penn. They are the same as the Deka brand with a different lable on them. They are good batteries. I have some in generator service that are over a dozen years old and still equal and strong. Starting batteries need to be kept charged via a "float" type charger or maintainer for long service life.

Rob

I don't recall what batteries I had in my B model, but they lasted 10 yrs, before getting pretty slow and not dependable in my eyes. I ran 4 grp 31 which is way overkill for a 673, but what the hell they fit. I know only run two since the one battery box rotted out and never got it fixed. Two new ones turn it fine. I got Interstates now since I got a contact and got them at cost(like $60/ea). I hardly disconnect them(even winter), and would only randomly put a quick charge to them in the spring before getting truck out.

Totally agree, deep cycles are not made for high draw situations. Only small, constant drain. I cringe when I see them put in drag cars.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"