Wish me luck (not bad)

Underdog

Just when you think the book of your life has been written, a twist in the plot changes everything...

After 14 years running my own truck, following a bit of bad luck (and maybe a couple bad decisions), I have made one last business decision to park my trucks and drive somebody else's truck for a while, maybe permanently if all goes as promised. I have had a standing offer to go drive a 10-car auto transporter for a small local company. I have no car hauling experience, but the owner is willing to train me his way, and the promised pay & benefits are better than what I have seen in my best years as an owner-operator. I start this new chapter on Monday.

I plan on keeping a couple old Macks around just in case, if nothing more than to enjoy at my leisure as a hobby, and also that I may still qualify to participate on the BMT forums. Wish me luck.

Gregg

Gregg hauling cars like hauling livestock is all together different than driving a van or flatbed. Loading and unloading tieing down and delivering without damage.At different times my Family had 5 trucks hauling cars with Automobile Transport,Arco Auto Carriers,Kenosha Auto Carriers. Trailers or Stinger units today are much better than when we did it less ramp angles wider inside trailer.Wider trailers help believe me I cleaned a few sides when loading big cars in the 1970'S.I do not know how pay is today but back then it was set up on a one way haul and if you got backhaul it was the Bonanza. Good Luck.Joe D.

I've had several uncles that have hauled cars from the late 1940's till near present day. They have all had good, and bad times with it. Damage is the greatest concern as Joe mentioned but if you are not in a break neck hurry all the time things will go well.

Are you looking to haul new, used, high end, low end, wrecked, salvage? I made a lot of money hauling strictly salvage out of the Chicago Pool in years past.

I think the endeavor is prudent and wish you well.

Hopefully you will have more time to participate with us here on the board. Everybody's projects are always of interest.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

One of my best friends did the same thing a few years back. He is probably doing better than anyone I know as far as money earned as a 'company driver'. I believe that as long as you are a detail oriented person, one who does not try to hurry all the time it will be a great move! Remember, our main goal is to take care of our families, doesn't matter how we do it. Good Luck!

Good luck with the new venture.

DO NOT be in a hurry to get down.

Just in time to start bringing the snow birds cars back home

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

remember this. you will not have the ground clearance you had with the dump wagon. You will look at humps,scales,fuel islands,entrances,and last but not least railroad tracks in a whole new light. Remember when in doubt grab another gear. Good luck.

Just when you think the book of your life has been written, a twist in the plot changes everything...

After 14 years running my own truck, following a bit of bad luck (and maybe a couple bad decisions), I have made one last business decision to park my trucks and drive somebody else's truck for a while, maybe permanently if all goes as promised. I have had a standing offer to go drive a 10-car auto transporter for a small local company. I have no car hauling experience, but the owner is willing to train me his way, and the promised pay & benefits are better than what I have seen in my best years as an owner-operator. I start this new chapter on Monday.

I plan on keeping a couple old Macks around just in case, if nothing more than to enjoy at my leisure as a hobby, and also that I may still qualify to participate on the BMT forums. Wish me luck.

Gregg

Gregg,

I am sure you will do OK, I have a couple of former owner drivers that work for me, and I've got to tell you that they are the best in the business!! Cause they know there truck's!! The guy that hired you is lucky to have you!!

Good Luck and GB

BULLHUSK

Hope it all works out for you. There is a car transport op. out of Bethlehem. They hauled in and out of the local dealership I used to work at in Allentown. I always thought their equipment was very well kept. Considered looking into a job with them but got hooked up with another outfit before I ever got that far...But its ok I drive Macks now! I think they only had Kenworths and other trucks of ill repute :lol:

Regardless, good luck! I hope it works out.

Best of luck in the new endeavor! i have no car hauling experience either,and have never considered hauling cars (in an open trailer anyway) but seems to me as stated,damage is your biggest concern,and i see and awful lot of car haulers tied up at the scales too,so i guess you need to worry about what to load where (weightwise) as well. I know there is still money to be made in the enclosed/specialized end of the business,but its a tough racket to get into. I do know Frank Malatesta (Horseless Carriage) is a GO-Zillionaire to quote Forrest Gump!....................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Good Luck on your new chapter. I see Adessa near us that hauls repos running 25 or more trailers a day. Every driver I talked to seems to like the work.. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I wish you luck,I'd keep your truck for awhile just in case,I know a few guys that called it quits only to be back in their own seat 6 months later.

I will say if you are hauling used cars,it can be a real PITA.20 years ago,one of the brothers that owned the local Dodge dealer went out on his own and started an auto auction.First thing he did was buy a transport to pick up and deliver.About 2 months later,he was calling me to fill in on nights I was home and on weekends cause he couldn't find any good drivers.I found out why,nobody was ever around to help load or unload,cars wouldn't start,flat tires,had one on top front once that wouldn't shift into reverse.Had a T bird with screwed up steering I about put over the side.Lotta city work which I hate,loading in the middle of the street,bought got run over chaining down once.Last straw was when I got an ass chewing because the POS Nissan I had on the top deck leaked oil all over the white El Dorado on bottom.I suppose if you grew up in the business and that's all you knew,it would be OK,but I'll take hauling pigs any day.

Last straw was when I got an ass chewing because the POS Nissan I had on the top deck leaked oil all over the white El Dorado on bottom.I suppose if you grew up in the business and that's all you knew,it would be OK,but I'll take hauling pigs any day.

Thats right! The goober eating his bacon this morning did not care that the feeders on the top deck were pissing on the fat hogs on the bottom deck

I appreciate the kind wishes from all, it has been a tough decision to swallow my pride and park the truck, but with my bad luck the last few months and the current state of fuel prices vs. freight rates, I need to go in a different direction. I am looking forward to the new challenge, and learning is never a bad thing. I must have been doing something right all these years, as I basically came pre-approved for the job based on the condition of my own equipment and my mechanical ability. Not bragging, just makes you feel better when somebody notices.

The new job will keep me mostly in the northeast, within 300 miles of home. Not home every night, but maybe more often than I am now. That notion has the wife and child on board with the decision. No sleepers, either. I will be in motels while away.

Brothers Auto Transport out of Wind Gap, PA is my new employer. They have 45 trucks throughout the northeast hauling new cars, lease returns and rental fleet movements. I am hoping they let me practice a bit on used cars first before letting me scratch up the shiny new ones!

Gregg

1. Grab that gear

2. Push down hard on the pedal on the RIGHT

3. Shut eyes

4. Suck seat up in butt

Oh yeah lock the power divider in to make sure the wheel spin doesn't stop you. If I do something stupid or crazy I got them locked in to attempt to keep moving.

I appreciate the kind wishes from all, it has been a tough decision to swallow my pride and park the truck, but with my bad luck the last few months and the current state of fuel prices vs. freight rates, I need to go in a different direction. I am looking forward to the new challenge, and learning is never a bad thing. I must have been doing something right all these years, as I basically came pre-approved for the job based on the condition of my own equipment and my mechanical ability. Not bragging, just makes you feel better when somebody notices.

The new job will keep me mostly in the northeast, within 300 miles of home. Not home every night, but maybe more often than I am now. That notion has the wife and child on board with the decision. No sleepers, either. I will be in motels while away.

Brothers Auto Transport out of Wind Gap, PA is my new employer. They have 45 trucks throughout the northeast hauling new cars, lease returns and rental fleet movements. I am hoping they let me practice a bit on used cars first before letting me scratch up the shiny new ones!

Gregg

Did they use to be in South Fl. We have or had Brothers transpot back home. Had a bunch of Black Petes,Kw's,I think a shaker or 2

Did they use to be in South Fl. We have or had Brothers transpot back home. Had a bunch of Black Petes,Kw's,I think a shaker or 2

Not the same company. This one started in Wind Gap with one Ford Louisville in 1996. Still there now with 45 trucks mostly Sterlings, the direct descendant of the Ford Louisville, now complete with Mercedes engine. With the demise of the Sterling nameplate, the latest purchase has been 3 new Freightliners. This has been one point of contention during job negotiations, as there are no Macks in the fleet, what is Underdog supposed to drive? I told head of maintenance yesterday we could install a bulldog hood ornament on one of the Sterlings for me. After all these years, that hood ornament has been like a compass needle; I don't know if I can find my way without one. Seriously though, I will be compensated very well to drive whatever the boss gives me. One thing that impresses me about this company is their attention to equipment maintenance. The boss is partial to the Sterling chassis( I will try to have an open mind and understand why) so he has made the commitment to rigorously maintain these older trucks and keep them on the road. With new car haulers costing upwards of $225,000, this part I already understand.

Gregg

You need to get ahold of Stan walls(old member here), as he got roped into the parking lot business a few years ago. Ran the "ol Pig" for a year or so, then got himself a fancy Pete. He parked it all last year due to work. Sold everything off last spring and is working for son #1(if I recall correctly) in the shop. Sure he has lots of neat stories to tell(he always did).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I've had 3 Sterlings assigned to me at 2 different jobs. My opinions and observations are:

Pro's

1. Very comfortable

2. Good ergonomics

3. Reliable

Con's

1.They're not Mack Pinnacles

2.Excessive wind noise even when doors are properly aligned.

3.You may have the standard turn signal lever which is a cheap plastic pos with a pushbutton for the 4-ways. With that setup, the flashers stop blinking when the foot brake is applied, just like a car-I shit you not. Fortunately,my employer chose to have them replaced with the traditional SignalStat type.

4. A benefit to the pos turn signals is that they have the rotating type wiper/washer switch and the end of the stalk. If not, you get the pushbutton Freightliner type which has the most idiotic operation for a wiper switch I've ever seen.

5. Like many of todays trucks they have that cheap feeling about them, but I accept that as part of being a driver in the 21st century. Like you, I go for the pay and benefits and happily accept what's given to me by those who are paying the bills, provided it's properly maintained and looks decent.

The second Sterling I drove was assigned to me with 65 miles on the odometer and was my least favorite. It had no major problems, but lots of little annoyances. The window crank fell of at the first tollbooth I came to, the radio antenna was not plugged in, the drivers wiper arm would stop 6 inches above the base of the windshield. All stupid stuff, but it gets you wondering if anything potetionally dangerous had been overlooked. My current ride is a 2006 AT9513 with the MBE4000 and 10 speed RR. The Merecedes engines have proven to be good reliable performers, but we've had some issues with the '07 emmissions equipped motors. My truck has always been shared by 2 caring drivers. The city guy is the original and I'm only the second linehaul driver in it. It has 946k on the odometer and is not only in great shape but it feels like it could hang on for at least another 500k. Best of luck.

Jim

I hope your new endeavor works out well for you. Maybe you'll drive a fine looking car hauler like this one it's a Peterbilt!

Now that Peterbilt picture made me feel chunks.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.