Old Payloaders

Mike Blais

D J Smith out near Marcellus Ny had a crap load of those Michigan loaders when i was out there about ten years ago. also had every B model mack n a 150 mile radius in his yard. The old man died in the last few years. think his kids are cleanin up a lot of stuff least thats what Doug Fetterly told me. believe he also had a few M ichigans with Mack engines in them. he loved the Michigans cause he said you could bolt any engine in them pretty easy.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I prolly dug a thousand graves with a Case 580D series backhoe in my earlier years. I worked at a graveyard and three to four holes per day was the norm. The cemetery had a soil hopper/grinder with a conveyor on a dump truck and it didn't take very long to backfill a gravesite with granulated dirt.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

First loader I ever ran as a kid was a Cat 950 with no brakes and a stiff throttle. That will make an operator for. 8 years I ran it. finally got on something with brakes and didn't know how to act. I'd just as soon have one without.

I used to have a 950 Cat when I was crushing cars,it was damned handy when it worked,but was by far the biggest POS I've ever owned.seldom had brakes,steering set up was a nightmare,nothing easy to work on,parts high as hell.Traded it for a '67 Brockway COE with a 600 Holmes twin boom wrecker.

D J Smith out near Marcellus Ny had a crap load of those Michigan loaders when i was out there about ten years ago. also had every B model mack n a 150 mile radius in his yard. The old man died in the last few years. think his kids are cleanin up a lot of stuff least thats what Doug Fetterly told me. believe he also had a few M ichigans with Mack engines in them. he loved the Michigans cause he said you could bolt any engine in them pretty easy.

I didn't know DJ's Dad was gone,but it's been a long time since I've talked to DJ.At one time he said he had over 200 B models.

i can remember the first time i loaded a over the road truck with that 475 i was stockpileing sand and just happened to be in the Wrong spot at the right time. a scoop and a pinch and she was full ended up putting 28 ton on he only wanted 26 but i thought that was pretty good hard to feather things in when you cant see much.

Waukesha 190 on the test stand. I'm really impressed with the work they did. This was an engine that barely ran. Now it sounds like a totally different engine. They fixed the governor, and found a NOS fuel pump to replace the electric one that somebody put on it.

img4021re.jpg

When I first started in strip mine many years ago, all our dewatering pumps had big 6 cylinder waukesha diesels on them. I swear they were the tuffest engines I have ever seen. I stepped out on a barge pump one night, engine was running, but sounded kinda different, got to looking with my flashlight and it had a baseball sized chunk of engine block knocked out of it, oil splashing out, could see part of crankcase spinning, son of a gun still bellering with flame coming out of stack. I dont know how much longer it would have run, but it was still "balls to the wall" and pumping water,,,tough engines! randyp

I ran a dragline at a quarry that had a Waukesha six cylinder gas in it - that thing drank so much gasoline it had fuel lines the size of a heater hose. I was loading rock from a dump spot into a surge bin - back and forth all day long. Someone, I am not saying who, got tired of the hand throttle jarring loose so it was wired wide open - it took ear plugs with ear muffs over the top. The local Amish sawmills still use a lot of them.

That looks like you have a great start on your restoration!

I am going to have to look up the history of Waukesha...............

Olive, i pologize for not checking on that tractor yet, just been super busy, will get on that though,,sorry,,,randyp

Send me the info if you can -

You had better first get you a mule to go with your right to vote and your 40 acres. Oh wait - you are already married, I doubt if you need another nag.

• Like 1

if you think the 992 is big look at a 994 or the bigest loader made a leturno (however you spell it) i would love to run one of those big ones but the 992 is the bigest ive ever run.

ya a 994 IS A HOSS !!! Id say a leturno (i dont know how to spell it either lol.) would be like trying to operate the sears tower or empire state building ... :loldude:

biggest loader ive been around was a 988B @ Fullen Dock & a WA 600 Komatsu @ Vulcan materials both in Memphis . biggest loader ive operated was a 966 Cat.

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Started my quarry days on a Michigan 35 aws, brilliant simple machine , we had 13 of them, couldnt kill them, then we bought a 175 B and 2x, 75Bs, the old 75 A that was on its way out had a cab and the arms were in front, the 175b did 10, 000 hrs on the 8v71, with no mechanical issues, only the dork driving it used the brakes to unload the bucket in the feed bin, the calipers didnt like that, it used to weigh in at 23 tonnes on the front axle and 9 tonnes on the rear with a full bucket, good michigan memories

Started my quarry days on a Michigan 35 aws, brilliant simple machine , we had 13 of them, couldnt kill them, then we bought a 175 B and 2x, 75Bs, the old 75 A that was on its way out had a cab and the arms were in front, the 175b did 10, 000 hrs on the 8v71, with no mechanical issues, only the dork driving it used the brakes to unload the bucket in the feed bin, the calipers didnt like that, it used to weigh in at 23 tonnes on the front axle and 9 tonnes on the rear with a full bucket, good michigan memories

Hey ole boy,

Could you post a pic. of British Pavements Allis Chalmers TL 10? Or some of your others from your handy book?

We have one of LeTourneau's 1850 (used to be the biggest) loaders at work. I haven't had a chance to run it, I need to go in on a slow weekend and play for bit. It is one BIG machine, dwarfs the 992.

Ben

Edited by dover

1962 B733 L cab

We have one of LeTourneau's 1850 (used to be the biggest) loaders at work. I haven't had a chance to run it, I need to go in on a slow weekend and play for bit. It is one BIG machine, dwarfs the 992.

Ben

I moved a few out of I think it is Longview,Tx where they build them. the arms with no bucket or cylinders are 66k and the front chunk is 70 something. I forget what it was I know it is odd as hell to chain

post-8266-0-66461100-1329101277_thumb.jp