Atten: Mack Guy And Mack3p

Since you both have pretty important jobs at Mack,maybe you can get this message through to the "Top Dogs"

I realize as a group here,we represent only a small percentage of Mack owners,but I think most here as well as the 1000's of other Mack owners world wide, will back me up on this.

Volvo needs to realize that most Mack truck owners buy Mack trucks because of their longevity.We don't want a truck with a 3 to 5 year lifespan,like a Volvo or Freightliner.When Grandpa would buy a new Mack,he could depend on the fact that it would not only serve him well for 10 years,but it would also be a faithful worker for the next owner when it was traded off.That's why the guys in charge need to realize that taking care of the guys running 20+year old Macks,is just as important as developing new trucks.But,no matter how tough our Macks are,stuff still breaks once in awhile and some things do wear out.That's why we need guaranteed parts support for our older Macks,not the attitude of junk it and buy a new one.

When I restored my first B-61 in the '80's,I had no trouble getting reasonably priced parts at my local dealer.As many B models as there still are on the road,there's no reason for parts not to be readily available through the dealers.Now some R model parts are becoming NLA.How many tens of thousands R models are still out there working every day?It's bad enough I can't get parts for my F model any more,how long until I can't get parts for my Superliners and my CH?

So hopefully you can get Volvo to realize that there are a whole lot more used Mack truck owners worldwide than there are new ones,so they need to keep us going too.Afterall,what good is it to build new trucks if nobody will buy them second hand?

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Remember,it's "Built like a Mack truck",not Volvo.

Last year I went to the dealer to get some parts for a 91 RB, and the partsman made the comment "I'm having a hard time finding stuff in my computer for an OLD truck like that.

WTF!

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Most of these fancy Volvo Mack dealerships, gives me the impression that my business and my old truck is unwelcomed and a nusience that should go away just like the old parts they need to stock.

P.S. Toledo Mack is offically out of business and closed up. That leaves Findlay Mack or Vomack here in nw ohio area, both are quite a drive. I wonder how hard it would if I wanted to start a Sales and Service center?

Here's a post I saw on another trucking website, thought I would bring it to the attention of you Mack factory guys.

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:01 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been in the trucking industry for almost 30 years.The first 28 were spent as a mechanic.I worked for an IHC dealer,spent 10 years with Ryder which had a fleet that was probably 85% IHC products and the last 10 years I owned my own shop.Most of my customers had IHC trucks.

With all this IHC background you think I would say IHC is the way to go.However I would base my decision on which dealer is the best in your area.

In our area Peterbilt has become widely used.While I don't think Pete is any better than a lot of trucks the dealer network here is outstanding.They have a wide range of inventory,good parts dept and inventory and a pretty good service dept that has evening & weekend hours.This is why Peterbilt dominates this part of PA.

Look closely at the dealer network in your area and nationwide.When that truck breaks down,how fast they put you back on the road is what counts.

Notice that the poster is from Pennsylvania - Mack Truck's back yard!!!!

Somebody at Mack better wake up, and soon!!!!!

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

In response to what I would assume the thought at Mack would be.............."We make NEW trucks, why should we keep making parts for "old" trucks."

It's the same all over, not just with trucks. They'll support stuff for a few years then off to "NLA" land cause they want you to buy a NEW truck. Not too many people can afford to do that, but they make them new trucks everyday anyway.

I've only bought 2 new vehicles in my life, but they've come/gone and now I'm back to old stuff. Until the last rusty part is gone I'll keep my stuff going.

I've finally got the local Mack parts guy to stop laughing when I come in and ask for something and tell them it's going on a B model.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Most of these fancy Volvo Mack dealerships, gives me the impression that my business and my old truck is unwelcomed and a nusience that should go away just like the old parts they need to stock.

P.S. Toledo Mack is offically out of business and closed up. That leaves Findlay Mack or Vomack here in nw ohio area, both are quite a drive. I wonder how hard it would if I wanted to start a Sales and Service center?

Automatic Mack or anyone else that knows. What happened to Toledo Mack? I am from Pa. but when I would read a magazine with a Toledo Mack sales ad in it they always had very good prices on new trucks. Thanks Joe D.

Edited by Joe Ditchkus

Again, Mack/Volvo needs to understand their customers... Mack's core customer is a small construction business with between 1 and 10 trucks, mostly with dump boxes. In construction it's hard to put on a lot of miles due to weather, lack of work, etc.. Combine that with Mack durability and it's not unusual for a customer to keep their new Mack for 20 years or more. If the owner of a 10 year old RD600 can't get parts for it, you can guarentee that his next new truck won't have a bulldog on the hood!

From what I have heard, Toledo Mack and Mack Corp. had a huge legal fight and Tol. Mack lost. They were located in a bad section of town, and not willing to relocate they did offer great service for the older trucks. So if you dont bow down before the Volvo god, you get dismissed.

getting frustrated everytime I heard about it. no interior or almost any are available at Mack for a R model.look they stop RD in 2003!! it's all the same from 1986 to 2003 except small details... I'm not scarry to buy an old GM pick-up, 1000's of 'em are still running and when you go to GM dealer, you can have everything you want! Mack should make shure all 'old' Mack can get fixed with genuine parts, has they told us!

Dont expect much of a reply....we have already been sold out. Maybe when Volvo quits making them altogether somebodt can buy the name and start building them again. I wouldnt trade my 15 year old r model or 31 year old 800 for 3 new Volvo pos's. They need to keep the trash in Sweden...

Again, Mack/Volvo needs to understand their customers... Mack's core customer is a small construction business with between 1 and 10 trucks, mostly with dump boxes. In construction it's hard to put on a lot of miles due to weather, lack of work, etc.. Combine that with Mack durability and it's not unusual for a customer to keep their new Mack for 20 years or more. If the owner of a 10 year old RD600 can't get parts for it, you can guarentee that his next new truck won't have a bulldog on the hood!

Amen G.G. THANKYOU for pointing this out :clap:

My family has owned a couple of ALMOST NEW :mack1: 's but never factory fresh new in my life time but for the most part like someone else posted we were the part that would buy a used :bulldog1: WE Owned 4 tandem Mack dumps & 2 tandem Mack tractors & OF COURSE "OLDDOG" (Our singleaxle B422T Tractor) @ 1 TIME & ONLY 2 OF THEM WERE LIKE 1 TO 2 YEARS OLD @ THE TIME the rest were 5 to 10+ YEAR OLD TRUCKS we ran these truck for like 15+ years In our small excavating company

we never had problems fing parts for the R Model's & DM's but round 94' or 95' it was getting hard to find parts for "olddog" thats when the parts men @ TRISTATE TOLD ME BOUT Tidewater Mack & of course bout our webmaster Barry @ Watts Mack . ;):thumb:

now im ready to get back out there w/ a ole R Or DM OR MC/MR model (tractor verson ) & WANTING GO BACK TO MY ROOTS Truck wise but if i cant parts for a older Dog i may have to go to my second choice (K.W. ) or a ole Jimmy (ya im partail to a 9500, Brigadier & General) or a pre VOLVO IZED AutoCar as bad id hate to.

ive got a buddy of mine who can build a :mack1: from the frame up w/ the spare parts he has & his fleet of roll off trucks except maybe 3 trucks are ole Mack DM Model's nothing newer than a 96' model is in his fleet (his oldest truck is a 74' model & is 1 good lookin dog ) he & i agree the ole mechanical dogs are best . if i need parts & the dealer doesnt have it i check w/ him alot to ;)

just my 2 cents yall

later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Since you both have pretty important jobs at Mack,maybe you can get this message through to the "Top Dogs"

I realize as a group here,we represent only a small percentage of Mack owners,but I think most here as well as the 1000's of other Mack owners world wide, will back me up on this.

Volvo needs to realize that most Mack truck owners buy Mack trucks because of their longevity.We don't want a truck with a 3 to 5 year lifespan,like a Volvo or Freightliner.When Grandpa would buy a new Mack,he could depend on the fact that it would not only serve him well for 10 years,but it would also be a faithful worker for the next owner when it was traded off.That's why the guys in charge need to realize that taking care of the guys running 20+year old Macks,is just as important as developing new trucks.But,no matter how tough our Macks are,stuff still breaks once in awhile and some things do wear out.That's why we need guaranteed parts support for our older Macks,not the attitude of junk it and buy a new one.

When I restored my first B-61 in the '80's,I had no trouble getting reasonably priced parts at my local dealer.As many B models as there still are on the road,there's no reason for parts not to be readily available through the dealers.Now some R model parts are becoming NLA.How many tens of thousands R models are still out there working every day?It's bad enough I can't get parts for my F model any more,how long until I can't get parts for my Superliners and my CH?

So hopefully you can get Volvo to realize that there are a whole lot more used Mack truck owners worldwide than there are new ones,so they need to keep us going too.Afterall,what good is it to build new trucks if nobody will buy them second hand?

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Remember,it's "Built like a Mack truck",not Volvo.

Thanks for the ego booster after a rough day at work.

We at Mack are aware that the reason some people buy a Mack is because their Father and Grandfather bought Mack’s.

Mack’s are still designed to last 15+ years. Many people may not think about it but a lot of old CH's are on the road every day. These trucks are at least 10 years old.

Everyone romanticizes about the past and it is the standard upon which everything else after is judged. Give the Granite and other models a chance and I'm sure they will prove their worthiness.

I can't speak as to the availability of parts but Service and Remanufacturing do their best to keep all the old Mack’s running. The dealer network is not part of corporate Mack. All I can say is if your not happy with your dealer find a new one. I'm sure Barry would be glad to help you.

I can't speak as to the availability of parts but Service and Remanufacturing do their best to keep all the old Mack’s running. The dealer network is not part of corporate Mack. All I can say is if your not happy with your dealer find a new one. I'm sure Barry would be glad to help you.

W/ "olddog" thats what i did (IFOUND OUT BOUT BARRY THROUGH MY DEALER Down in Memphis ) but still delt w/ ours here on the R's & DM FOR PARTS .

later yall B)

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

If folks have been paying attention to the stock market, the near future is looking gloomy, especially for manufacturers of construction equipment, trucks, power units, and big ticket items in general. When business is slow (look at the drop in car loadings and new truck orders), customers put off new purchases of trucks and fix up the old. Potentially, Mack parts counters may be very busy this spring while the sales floors will be silent.

If their was ever a time to beef up Mack's parts operations, this is it. Customers should have ready access to everything from new door panels for their old DM or R through rebuilt engines and powertrain to whole new cabs and glider kits. If the parts are NLA, order up more, they're going to sell for sure! Instead of the "Not Invented Here" attitude, Mack needs to work in partnership with the aftermarket and even the junk yards to insure that the parts needed to keep every Mack made for at least two decades back are still available. Or how about mining those unsold '97 Postal Service Macks for cores to make into a rebuilt E7+Allison automatic package- it'd be a big seller!

Customers will reward good service with new orders when business improves. In my "fleet" I have 4 motorcycles, 3 of them BMWs and the 4th a Harley product. The Harley product was cheap, but despite being a 2001 model I am having to wait a week or more for common parts like alternator stators and such. My newest BMW is a 1992, and the others date from 1983 and 1984. When BMW introduced a new line of 2 cylinder motorcycles in the mid 1990s they decided to reduce support for the old models in hopes of forcing their owners into buying the new model. That strategy failed, as owners of the old BMWs refused to buy a new one when BMW wouldn't support the old models that were only a couple years out of production. Lately BMW has rethought their policy, establishing a department in parts to insure supply for the older BMWs and putting NLA parts back into production. I buy a new motorcycle every 10 years, and keep the old ones for spares. Due to Harley's poor service I may replace their product early in 2000, and I will probably replace it with a BMW. Harley will probably never be able to sell me a new motorcycle again, no matter how much cheaper they are than BMW.

There's a lesson here- the customers running decade or more old Macks will be back for a new truck someday. If Mack treats them well now at the parts counter, they'll come back to the sales floor when the economy improves.