Here's a quick pic of my new addition to the stable. She looks a little rough but is in better shape than my H63 when I got it. Still workin on the H63 but I'm sure in a few weeks when this one comes home I may just have to get her runnin and take her for a spin. Gonna try and upload much more pics of her once I get her home. I'm excited to own more than just one Mack now, not to mention two mighty fine lookin cabovers. Luckily all of the trim and emblems are on the truck, he had taken the Bulldog off the front so it wouldn't disappear. Wish me luck!!!

post-2896-0-64225400-1297206143_thumb.jp

Nice truck. I bought the H613T picture below from Ralph G. Smith Horse Transportation this summer. It is serial number 1001, the first of 3 H61's built with a turbo. Unfortunately it has been replaced with a naturally aspirated 673 at some point. It does not run yet, but it turns over. All 3 H613's were bought by Ralph Smith. The other 2 were wrecked in accidents. They were made in 1956 from left over parts. Ralph Smith had 7 H61's already and wanted these to match to Mack made them for him. Mine is kind of rough, but it still exists. I'd like to know how many H61's are around. I know a guy down in the Carolina's has two or three, but don't know of any others.

Michael Yarnall

post-7810-0-06451800-1297207215_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I'm not sure how many are around. I haven't seen but a handful. Same thing with the H63's, I haven't seen many of those around either. I was ecstatic when I found my H63 out here on the west coast let alone an H61. A friend of mine's wife happened to run across it on craigslist. The old boy who had it had bought it 30 yrs ago. He drove it home, parked it and never got around to restoring or even starting it again. I will probably tinker with it a little but I still need to focus on getting my H63 finished first.I'm still a year and a half or so away from getting that one done, atleast that's my goal. I didn't believe Packer when he said "one truck leads to two trucks leads to...." oh well, my son and I are having a blast with them. Any good detailed pics of yours would be greatly appreciated. I haven't seen mine in person yet, still waiting to go down south and haul it home, maybe in a couple of weeks. My friend said everything appeared to be on the truck but not sure how the interior pieces are, hopefully it's all there. H61T1286 is the vin, not sure exactly what production # it is until I contact the Mack museum.

H61T1286 is the vin, not sure exactly what production # it is until I contact the Mack museum.

Mack starts with 1000, so 1286 would be the 286th H61T built.

Great truck. My Dad's best friend ran an H model in the 60's that I used to hook rides in when he picked up his trailer in Boston. Until I started reading this board I had no idea how few of these were around.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Great truck. My Dad's best friend ran an H model in the 60's that I used to hook rides in when he picked up his trailer in Boston. Until I started reading this board I had no idea how few of these were around.

Indeed,not many at all around anymore,these were pretty few and far between even when new. I have only ever seen one in person!.........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

That info is good to know, thanks. I've got a definite soft spot for the H models. Compared to any other manufacturer, to me anyways, Macks were the most stylistic out of all of them. The others seemed too boxy, no shape of flow to them. Nice curves on these H models. Makes sheetmetal replacement harder though but it's all worth it in the end. I can't wait to get her home and get her fired up!!! My 5 yr old son has already laid claim to this one. He says it's his and he's gonna drive it. Gonna a little tough since he's blind but he sure does give me a hand tinkering on them. Guess I'll have to take him to a big, open area and let him give it a shot in a couple of years.

I have to agree on the worth it part! an H-61 is a realtively rare bird anyway! sure be good to see one up and running,or at least know its not headed for the scrapyard! best of luck with the project,hope you are able to get some more pics up at some point..............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Nice truck. I bought the H613T picture below from Ralph G. Smith Horse Transportation this summer. It is serial number 1001, the first of 3 H61's built with a turbo. Unfortunately it has been replaced with a naturally aspirated 673 at some point. It does not run yet, but it turns over. All 3 H613's were bought by Ralph Smith. The other 2 were wrecked in accidents. They were made in 1956 from left over parts. Ralph Smith had 7 H61's already and wanted these to match to Mack made them for him. Mine is kind of rough, but it still exists. I'd like to know how many H61's are around. I know a guy down in the Carolina's has two or three, but don't know of any others.

Michael Yarnall

Michael,

that is a really complete looking H-61. I have one that I bought a few years ago and unfortunately just before I showed up to pick it up some vandals stole the radiator and front radiator shell. Any chance there were parts at the Smith company? That is the 80yr old owner that I got it from in the picture. This truck ran the west coast for many years.

post-198-0-89551300-1297345704_thumb.jpg

Michael,

that is a really complete looking H-61. I have one that I bought a few years ago and unfortunately just before I showed up to pick it up some vandals stole the radiator and front radiator shell. Any chance there were parts at the Smith company? That is the 80yr old owner that I got it from in the picture. This truck ran the west coast for many years.

Smith's closed down this past spring and sold all their inventory at auction this fall. They did not have any H model parts worth speaking of. I bought some air starters, but someone took them. I did get a lot of F model parts. I had bought the F and MH below from them earlier. That is my father's superliner next to them. I also got an LFT from smiths.

post-7810-0-91067000-1297391648_thumb.jp

Smith's closed down this past spring and sold all their inventory at auction this fall. They did not have any H model parts worth speaking of. I bought some air starters, but someone took them. I did get a lot of F model parts. I had bought the F and MH below from them earlier. That is my father's superliner next to them. I also got an LFT from smiths.

Maybe I'm just off plumb a bit but in the photo the Superliner looks like a 1:34 scale model, next to a 1:25 scale MH, and F series models.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Maybe I'm just off plumb a bit but in the photo the Superliner looks like a 1:34 scale model, next to a 1:25 scale MH, and F series models.

Rob

The Superliner does look small. But, the Superliner and MH both use the same battery box and air tank. They look to be the same size.

I assure you they are all full size.

Did your H come with a Cummins? The one I have did, it was a 200. Gene Olson has a really nice complete H-61 with a Cummins also. I never thought the H-63 on came with anything other than Mack diesels or gas jobs but back in the early 80's I spotted an H-67 pulling for Mayflower sitting at a stop so I went over and talked to the owner and he bought it new and claimed that the 220 Cummins came in the truck.

My friend Dennis pickin her up for me. One step closer to being home, thanks Dennis!!!

Ok, you embarassed me now posting my pic, but I will let it slide! Glad I could help you out. It was fun picking the old girl up and hauling her down the road.

Did your H come with a Cummins? The one I have did, it was a 200. Gene Olson has a really nice complete H-61 with a Cummins also. I never thought the H-63 on came with anything other than Mack diesels or gas jobs but back in the early 80's I spotted an H-67 pulling for Mayflower sitting at a stop so I went over and talked to the owner and he bought it new and claimed that the 220 Cummins came in the truck.

It came with a 673 with a turbo, but that engine is gone. It has a naturally aspirated 673 now. I do not know what the diesel engine options were.