Camelback Noise..... Jingle Bells?

Why do some Camelbacks that drive by me make a "jingle bell" type of noise when they hit the bumps? It seems to be a common thing but not all of them make the noise, so does something have to be replaced?

Sounds more like driveline noise rather than suspension noise. Check the drive splines in the driveshaft, dust/debris collars on the shafts for broken welds allowing independent rotation, and loose/dry universal joints or yokes.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Sounds more like driveline noise rather than suspension noise. Check the drive splines in the driveshaft, dust/debris collars on the shafts for broken welds allowing independent rotation, and loose/dry universal joints or yokes.

Rob

The spring boxes have steel side blocks that sit loose in the box thats likly the sound you hear.

The spring boxes have steel side blocks that sit loose in the box thats likly the sound you hear.

Hi Fred, wouldn't the insulators be about beat to snot to allow the plates to rattle? I've never heard the sounds mentioned but sure have a lot of driveline noise.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Fred, wouldn't the insulators be about beat to snot to allow the plates to rattle? I've never heard the sounds mentioned but sure have a lot of driveline noise.

Rob

Hi Rob. I think fjh may be right. I've never noticed the noise referred to, but most of our trucks carry tire chains year round. The "T" blocks are more or less a means of limiting the travel of the spring side to side. The lighter suspension setup (I think only the SS34 but maybe the SS38 too) doesn't use the blocks.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Hi Rob. I think fjh may be right. I've never noticed the noise referred to, but most of our trucks carry tire chains year round. The "T" blocks are more or less a means of limiting the travel of the spring side to side. The lighter suspension setup (I think only the SS34 but maybe the SS38 too) doesn't use the blocks.

Ive seen them with out the T blocks but very seldom! usually a 38 suspention in a tractor would be void of these!A gravel truck most always had em 38 0r 44.I'd be looking for a cracked drive shaft of bad ujoint if it had a ringing noise thou the spring box plates would be more of just a rattle clanking sound going over bumps I would think!

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

This is still driving me crazy but I found it after 1 1/2 years of shaking everything on the truck. I was adjusting the brakes and just bumped the bottom cover where the pads are with a hammer, and there it was a ringing tinkeling noise. Something is loose in there and making the noise, maybe a dial pin. Someone please chime in so I can put this behind me.

it's going to depend on what size rear. my vote goes with earlier comments  , noise being steel side blocks . now if truck has lighter suspension  that's another story. hear the noise coming you know your about to see a real truck! :bulldog1:

But isn't this usually masked or covered by the sound of a banging tailgate, slamming bed on the frame rails, hopping suspension over railroad crossings, or good ole american potholes?

On 7/17/2010 at 9:27 PM, granitefan713 said:

I know exactly the noise you're referring to. I'd say 99% of Mack straight trucks I hear going over a bump make this noise. But I too have no idea why. :(

thank you for adding the flickr link .lots n lots of great pics. 

I remember back in the 50's-60's the camelback tandems didn't have rubber cushions on the spring caps but was told that they were small coil type springs that always would break and cause the "jingle bell" noise. I used to love the sound because you knew a twin screw Mack was coming.

Edited by navypoppop
mispelling