Hello, I write this to not only share my experiences with my Mack truck hobby, but to also warn others of what could happen by sharing my mistakes. I've met some really nice people, and I've met some really bad and dishonest people associated with the purchase and restoration of my truck.

It's late right now, and I'm not going to get my whole story down in one sitting. But please, if you see my truck or any of its parts appearing for sale on eBay or elsewhere, please, let me know. It was an extended sedan cab L model firetruck. It had a 707 cu in gas engine and did not run. You can see my truck in my photo gallery.

My Story:

I purchased a 1954 Mack extended cab fire truck. First mistake - I purchased it sight unseen. I relied on the seller to come clean with the major flaws this truck had - simple things like the engine missing parts like the manifolds, carbs and starter was forgotten to be mentioned at the time, or the floor rotted out. OK, I will live with that, it needed a new engine anyway. But then to deliberately mislead me by sending me pictures of a different name plate other than the one that goes to my truck, well I don't think that was too nice of him - lie number one.

Ok, so I bought it, had it towed from Sebastopol to Ventura, California. I began working on it. Somebody on eBay was selling a similar model L fire truck. He told me that he wanted to scrap out the truck, but as the winning bidder on eBay I could have any parts I wanted from the truck, but he would remove the parts himself for me - ok, that sounded good to me. I wanted the body parts and someone else wanted the Hull Scott engine so together we put a bid on the truck and won the eBay auction. Then (after the auction) he decided we could have either the body parts or the engine, but not both. Ok, what he said was another disappointing misrepresentation with this truck - so I could get neither the body parts or the engine.

Then the storage lot where my truck was staying was bought by Shell oil company for storage of their own trucks. Shell gave the lot's manager one year to have everyone get their trucks and RV's out of the lot. But the manager neglected to tell me, so I continued to pay him every month... until I was suddenly told I had one month to get my truck out of there - another truck crisis.

That begins my dealings with some very shady people. I was desperate trying to quickly find a place to store my non-operational firetruck. I found a place advertised on CraigsList in Perris, California (about 100 miles from me) that would store my truck for a reasonable amount if I pre-paid 12 to 18 months storage. He needed money now and it was understood I could only keep my truck there for the term of our lease contract. So I opted for 18 months. I checked to make sure he was the owner of the property, and he was recommended as an ok guy by his boss when I called his work.

That was on August 8, 2008. His name was Randolph (Randy) Kelly Taylor and his property was at 24023 Stafford Street in Perris, California (this is all public knowledge in police report PC091330030) and consisted of several lots. My friend lives in Perris and drives by about once a week to be certain the truck is ok. Last weekend it was gone. I tried to reach Randy but his phone number was disconnected. I attempted to place a stolen vehicle report with the Perris police department. To my surprise, Randy already placed a stolen vehicle police report. He (Randy) had a fake pink slip made identifying him as the owner, he hired "a friend" to tow the truck and it was stolen from his friend's tow truck while it was being towed. His "friend" he hired to tow his (my) firetruck was Wesley Smith of 19315 Ray Ave, Riverside, CA 92508. Remember, this is all a matter of public record in the police report. I only give you these facts now to help you more easily avoid dealing with these people in the future.

So, Randy hires Wesley to tow the truck. And at 7:30 pm in the afternoon on a busy highway, 4 unidentified "Black male adults told Smith to unhitch the firetruck because they wanted it. Smith was fearful for his safety and did not want any confrontation so he let the Black male adults take the fire truck. The Black male adults chained up the fire truck to the Dodge pickup truck and were last seen northbound on Old Elsinore Rd toward Mead Valley". This is an exact quote from the police report. Remember, this fire truck weighed 24,000 pounds, had air brakes so the wheels were all locked, but somehow was able to be pulled by what was later in the report described as an old green amd gray Dodge pickup truck. Can someone say Smith's a liar? So we now have Randy Taylor as a con-man and theif and Wesley Smith as a co-perpetrator in the auto grand theft racket.

It took me two full days to gather this information and obtain the police report. Then last night, Wednesday, my girl friend went over to Wesley Smith's house. What she saw were all the vehicles, trailers, mobile homes, cars and other vehicles that were in storage but somehow got stolen on Randy's property now at Smith's address. What she saw was a full, ongoing chop-shop in action. She played that she was interested in some of the scrap they had, especially a fire truck she heard they had picked up. They freely admitted that they gave it to a friend who runs another scrap yard at the intersection of Calico and Brown (I'm not sure of the spelling of these two street names) in Perris, but that it's probably already chopped and gone by now. She said everyone there seemed high on something, and it was only as she was leaving that they suddenly became paranoid, asking if she was with the police, was she going to turn them in for something, etc. And as she was leaving she said she saw them moving the cars etc out of that place. When she called me with the information, I immediately called the police. The police said they would "look into it".

My question is why did they (the police) take Smith's word that the fire truck was car jacked while he was towing it?

Why did they not even make one trip to Smith's house to see if he was telling the truth or to see if, just maybe, the story was a cover-up to take possession of the fire truck?

Why would they not immediately jump on a lead like the Smith's chop-shop?

Another story discrepancy, Smith reported the truck was stolen from him on May 13th, but was witnessed still in Randy's storage lot on May 15th, 21st, and 26th by two people unrelated to me.

It's very late now, so I will continue with the story later.

Steve

Damn, that's more crooks and liars involved than you should encounter in a lifetime!

I hope you get this mess straightened out, good luck.

I had nothing to do with it.

Don't start to picking on me again.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I can really feel for you. My '47 Dodge PowerWagon was stolen from a storage lot. The guy that I did repo's with was keeping it on his lot for me and he said someone showed up one day to get it for me. I think the guy ( Bob ) that was storing it for me got tired of looking at it and sold it. He knew at that time that I had nowhere else to keep it. The sherrif took a report and now every year they call me to confirm that it is still missing. Am I suppose to be looking? Bob has moved and I haven't been able to locate him. I don't care if he sold it or not, I just want the truck back. The whole story is on the PowerWagon Advertiser Forum, look in the "1 Ton section" for the title "stolen". There are also stories about my truck and how I got it under "Why I like Dodges and How I got Started", look for "2 free PW's". Sorry to carry on but I get very upset about stolen classics and incompetent sherrif's office.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

"It's just an old broke down firetruck" is the mentality they have about it. That's too bad, but in their defense they have much more important things to worry about(whatever that is). I couldn't fathom coming to find anything of mine "missing". Guess that's why I'm so paranoid about leaving stuff anywhere I can't see it daily, constantly. I lock my stuff up sitting in the garage! If they get in the garage, they'll have to work at getting into the vehicle too.

There are MORE crooks then good guys anymore, sad fact. I hope in some way you can get back something on your loss(either money or you know what).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

This story isn't just sad because the truck was stolen - that's bad enough by itself.

It's also sad because of the social statement the whole affair makes.

The fact that stealing and selling someone's property has become so commonplace

and is widely considered to be acceptable behavior in our society is remarkable.

This really reinforces those people who are prone to being paranoid!

They have good reason after hearing these stories.

And, just for further irritation -

When did all of the sub-standard performance that is produced by the government,

and all of it's employees, including the police departments, become acceptable??

If the officers involved here had been even a little alert, this probably would have a different outcome.

Somehow, we have all forgotten that those government employees, every single one of them, works for us.

Is poor performance, bad behavior and questionable ethics going to be OK with us?

TIME TO WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry for your loss,

and even more sorry that it happens everywhere, everyday.

Paul Van Scott

This story isn't just sad because the truck was stolen - that's bad enough by itself.

It's also sad because of the social statement the whole affair makes.

The fact that stealing and selling someone's property has become so commonplace

and is widely considered to be acceptable behavior in our society is remarkable.

This really reinforces those people who are prone to being paranoid!

They have good reason after hearing these stories.

And, just for further irritation -

When did all of the sub-standard performance that is produced by the government,

and all of it's employees, including the police departments, become acceptable??

If the officers involved here had been even a little alert, this probably would have a different outcome.

Somehow, we have all forgotten that those government employees, every single one of them, works for us.

Is poor performance, bad behavior and questionable ethics going to be OK with us?

TIME TO WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry for your loss,

and even more sorry that it happens everywhere, everyday.

Paul Van Scott

A-men brother! I don't think my truck was given any attention after the report was filed. I have gotton phone calls asking if I found my truck! Am I suppose to be looking? They are the ones with the access to records that I can't get. I think they made one phone call to Bob, took his statement, and that was it. I told them of my suspicions and I have never heard from the officer that took the report. I know that there are bigger crimes in the area but I refuse to let them take this file off as I want it to be a reminder of the unsolved issues that the current administration has. I hope that the state will question them eventually about the open crimes in the county. Sorry for the soap box rant.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

I bought a matched pair,consectutive serial number '67 DM611's at an auction about 7 years ago.I was assured by the "owner" of the property that they would be safe until I could arrange for them to be picked up.2 weeks later,they were gone.I don't know who ended up with them but I sure hope they got good a good price for them.

I have way to much respect for you as a human bean to accuse you of such a dastardly deed-or to pick on you.

That's such a welcome relief. I was getting a sore neck from all the moping around due to my sensitive side being picked on again.

I think three wraps of ni-chrome wire around the thiefs' testicles with a limited amount of voltage applied to cauterize the wound would be adequate. This could be referred to a proper "severance package" due to the nature of the job performed.

I hate thieves and think punishment should fit the crime without regards to reformation.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That's such a welcome relief. I was getting a sore neck from all the moping around due to my sensitive side being picked on again.

I think three wraps of ni-chrome wire around the thiefs' testicles with a limited amount of voltage applied to cauterize the wound would be adequate. This could be referred to a proper "severance package" due to the nature of the job performed.

I hate thieves and think punishment should fit the crime without regards to reformation.

Rob

I agree. I was robbed at the old TA truckstop on I-70 just north of Dayton around '80 or'81. While I was taking a shower a thief reached over the door and stole my pants off a hook. Got my wallet with my drivers license, what little cash I had, all my keys-had to take the switch out of that F-model and start it with 2 paper clips. I still wish i'd seen that arm coming over the door so I could have twisted it off and showed him what the other end of it looked like. :angry:

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I agree. I was robbed at the old TA truckstop on I-70 just north of Dayton around '80 or'81. While I was taking a shower a thief reached over the door and stole my pants off a hook. Got my wallet with my drivers license, what little cash I had, all my keys-had to take the switch out of that F-model and start it with 2 paper clips. I still wish i'd seen that arm coming over the door so I could have twisted it off and showed him what the other end of it looked like. :angry:

Try that with a new truck; Say a Pete........

I've never been a thief except one time with a buddy in high school. We were out on our dirt bikes and decided to grab us a couple of watermelons from a local farm field. I had a nice big juicy one as did my friend and we were walking back to our bikes when from the distance somebody yells; "Hey, what the F*%# are you kids doing"!! I suppose the natural progression of things when you are carrying merchandise that you have illegally acquired is to RUN!, (which I did after tossing the melon). Long story short is that I jumped on my bike and hauled ass down the trail, but not before I heard an explosion in the background just as I got moving. I find out later in the day that my buddy has several minor perforation(s) to the back of his legs, and back from a rock salt laden shotgun blast, we both had helmets on. He was in some serious pain once the adrenelin settled down. I remember him laying face up in a creek to wash the salt out. I did not get hit at all because I got moving first.

I thought his dad was going to keel over with a heart attack he was laughing so hard when he found out what happened.

Rob

Wow sad isn't the word. Sorry to hear it was stolen. Reading your story really got my blood boiling. Its tough to deal with it when the the people who are supposed to right the wrongs are so lazy and incompetent.

Four black guys demanded the fire truck? And the cops took that statement and didn't question it? Where the hell did this happen, braindeadville? How f$@#&*% stupid were the cops that took that statement? I would have looked at that driver and said "Sir, have you been drinking or taking any drugs?"

I hope something is done. I would make sure they didnt get away with it.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Try that with a new truck; Say a Pete........

I've never been a thief except one time with a buddy in high school. We were out on our dirt bikes and decided to grab us a couple of watermelons from a local farm field. I had a nice big juicy one as did my friend and we were walking back to our bikes when from the distance somebody yells; "Hey, what the F*%# are you kids doing"!! I suppose the natural progression of things when you are carrying merchandise that you have illegally acquired is to RUN!, (which I did after tossing the melon). Long story short is that I jumped on my bike and hauled ass down the trail, but not before I heard an explosion in the background just as I got moving. I find out later in the day that my buddy has several minor perforation(s) to the back of his legs, and back from a rock salt laden shotgun blast, we both had helmets on. He was in some serious pain once the adrenelin settled down. I remember him laying face up in a creek to wash the salt out. I did not get hit at all because I got moving first.

I thought his dad was going to keel over with a heart attack he was laughing so hard when he found out what happened.

Rob

raiding a watermelon patch is a time honored tradition-kinda expected.

Is taking a shot gun blast to the leg apart of this time honored tradition? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

no, the stealer is not supposed to get caught, and when you do the owner is not actually supposed to shoot AT you, just in the air to scare you when you're running like hell!

They must not have known the rules of this tradition :rolleyes:

no, the stealer is not supposed to get caught, and when you do the owner is not actually supposed to shoot AT you, just in the air to scare you when you're running like hell!

They must not have known the rules of this tradition :rolleyes:

I guess no one believes in tradition anymore. :blink:

I guess no one believes in tradition anymore. :blink:

Steve:

I am very sorry to hear about what must be an unbelievable string of bad people that you have dealt with. It is a sad day indeed-there is no honesty or courtesy or respect for the other guy these days. It's the law of the jungle and these guys might be surprised what it is really like when "dog eats dog". Let us know if there is anything more that we can do to help beyond your Ebay suggestion.

Best regards,

John

hi, and thank you everyone for your support, it is sincerely appreciated.

Now, for the next chapter...

I was at work all day today (Friday) so the officer called my girl friend in Perris, Calif. Bottom line is, he told her "NO CRIME HAS BEEN COMMITTED". (False statements in the police report apparently don't matter). And "its his word against mine" that I did not give him (Randy) the truck! And "It's just a civil matter". These are all direct quotes by the officer.

When I heard this after work, I immediately called the police station. About an hour later the officer who took the original report called me back, and restated this same position. He went on to say I just need to sue Randy in small claims court. The officer insisted it's a contractual matter that needs to be resolved in civil court. And I insisted no, the truck was real, not a contract, and now its gone; it was a real object that now has disappeared, so I want to place a grand theft auto report on the incident and go after those responsible for its disappearance.

Is there a lawyer or a DA in the house that can help guide me?

I then asked if he (the officer) has done any investigation into this incident.

He stated, "No. What do you have in mind?"

I replied "How about asking Wesley Smith where he got the equipment to tow the firetruck? Wesley sure doesn't own any such equipment (unless its hidden somewhere). Perris is a very small town in the middle of the desert in California. Surely only a very limited number of people in Perris have the equipment that could tow this firetruck".

"What would that prove?"

"The validity and truthfulness of this part of your police report".

"It really doesn't matter now, its probably cut up, melted down, and gone now. It's been over a month now".

"No, you took the report on May 12th or 13th, but two independent eye witnesses reported seeing the truck as late as May 26th still on Randy's property. And I was in the process or restoring that truck. I know the serial numbers of the engine, transmission, axle, water pump, etc, have copies of the original build sheets and the 1954 purchase order by the city of Long Beach, CA and if any of its parts ever show up anywhere, it will provide a trail to the guilty parties".

I felt like I was getting nowhere, so I tried a second approach, and the conversation went something like this (again, almost word for word):

"I want to make a citizens arrest on Randy Taylor. California law allows that, so how do I do that?"

"What do you want to arrest him for?"

"Grand Theft Auto!"

"What proof do you have?"

"I put a truck in his care for 18 months storage, prepaid in full, and now its gone!"

"What proof do you have he did it?"

"He admitted in your police report that he took possession of the truck, then hired his friend to tow it somewhere."

"But then he said it was stolen from his friend while in-tow. So someone else unknown stole it."

"Even if you believe that, it doesn't matter if someone stole it from his friend while it was being towed, if he didn't steal it from me first, it would not be in a position to be stolen from his friend".

"There's no proof that he stole it, so we're not going to put him under citizen arrest".

"But I thought California law allowed me to put anyone under citizens arrest, and I'd be the only one to take liability if it was for a bogus reason. That's why its a citizens arrest, and not a police arrest".

"Sorry, but we're just not going to do it".

At that point I didn't know what to say, other than good bye then I hung up.

I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone...

Now what do I do???

Steve

Edited by mackattack

Steve:

I am very sorry to hear about what must be an unbelievable string of bad people that you have dealt with. It is a sad day indeed-there is no honesty or courtesy or respect for the other guy these days. It's the law of the jungle and these guys might be surprised what it is really like when "dog eats dog". Let us know if there is anything more that we can do to help beyond your Ebay suggestion.

Best regards,

John

Steve:

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. I've never bought any car or truck from an online seller. Ebay does have policies regarding reporting of sellers illegal activity. I have done business with several ebay sellers on lower priced items including NFL collectibles and Die Cast souvenir trucks, of which I've never had a problem with. One thing a buyer must always do first is check the sellers feedback from previous customers.

John McGlumphy

hi, and thank you everyone for your support, it is sincerely appreciated.

Now, for the next chapter...

I was at work all day today (Friday) so the officer called my girl friend in Perris, Calif. Bottom line is, he told her "NO CRIME HAS BEEN COMMITTED". (False statements in the police report apparently don't matter). And "its his word against mine" that I did not give him (Randy) the truck! And "It's just a civil matter". These are all direct quotes by the officer.

When I heard this after work, I immediately called the police station. About an hour later the officer who took the original report called me back, and restated this same position. He went on to say I just need to sue Randy in small claims court. The officer insisted it's a contractual matter that needs to be resolved in civil court. And I insisted no, the truck was real, not a contract, and now its gone; it was a real object that now has disappeared, so I want to place a grand theft auto report on the incident and go after those responsible for its disappearance.

Is there a lawyer or a DA in the house that can help guide me?

I then asked if he (the officer) has done any investigation into this incident.

He stated, "No. What do you have in mind?"

I replied "How about asking Wesley Smith where he got the equipment to tow the firetruck? Wesley sure doesn't own any such equipment (unless its hidden somewhere). Perris is a very small town in the middle of the desert in California. Surely only a very limited number of people in Perris have the equipment that could tow this firetruck".

"What would that prove?"

"The validity and truthfulness of this part of your police report".

"It really doesn't matter now, its probably cut up, melted down, and gone now. It's been over a month now".

"No, you took the report on May 12th or 13th, but two independent eye witnesses reported seeing the truck as late as May 26th still on Randy's property. And I was in the process or restoring that truck. I know the serial numbers of the engine, transmission, axle, water pump, etc, have copies of the original build sheets and the 1954 purchase order by the city of Long Beach, CA and if any of its parts ever show up anywhere, it will provide a trail to the guilty parties".

I felt like I was getting nowhere, so I tried a second approach, and the conversation went something like this (again, almost word for word):

"I want to make a citizens arrest on Randy Taylor. California law allows that, so how do I do that?"

"What do you want to arrest him for?"

"Grand Theft Auto!"

"What proof do you have?"

"I put a truck in his care for 18 months storage, prepaid in full, and now its gone!"

"What proof do you have he did it?"

"He admitted in your police report that he took possession of the truck, then hired his friend to tow it somewhere."

"But then he said it was stolen from his friend while in-tow. So someone else unknown stole it."

"Even if you believe that, it doesn't matter if someone stole it from his friend while it was being towed, if he didn't steal it from me first, it would not be in a position to be stolen from his friend".

"There's no proof that he stole it, so we're not going to put him under citizen arrest".

"But I thought California law allowed me to put anyone under citizens arrest, and I'd be the only one to take liability if it was for a bogus reason. That's why its a citizens arrest, and not a police arrest".

"Sorry, but we're just not going to do it".

At that point I didn't know what to say, other than good bye then I hung up.

I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone...

Now what do I do???

Steve

I think at this point I would have asked for the officer's supervisor, and demanded to know why exactly they would not pursue the case any further. If the supervisor had not provided good answers, I would have demanded that he provide his explanation IN WRITING, so that you could approach the District Attorney's office to inquire about the validity of the Police Department's actions. If he refused to provide the answer in writing, demand to speak to HIS supervisor. Keep working your way up the food chain until you get satisfaction. Advise the person on the other end of the phone that you are keeping careful records of conversations and ask for names and badge numbers. Don't get emotional or upset on the phone or in person (at least don't SHOW it.) Asking for names and badge numbers tells them "oh shit, this is going to go somewhere..." A This simply sounds to me like a case of "Big City PD Lazyness." They don't want anything to do with this as it may involve actually having to get off their fat, donut-laden asses and having to do something. I have had to deal with the City of Philadelphia Police Department several times, including once for a towing company which illegally towed my car. Believe me, when they ask "Why do you want my badge number", they HATE to hear the words "Because I am going to run you, your Sergent, and your Lieutenant's names all into the Commissioner's Office with accusations of fail to perform, even though I laid all of the evidence across your desks in black and white."

Also I might suggest contacting the Police Chief's Office directly. Better yet, write an un-emotional letter to the Police Chief. Include detailed descriptions of all actions up to now. Include dates and times of telephone calls, including names if you have them. Also include a list of the serial numbers, and the factory build sheets. Facts only. No emotions. Now is not the time to get upset. Detail what you were told and by whom, if you have their names. Circulate copies of the letter to the Mayors Office as well as the District Attorney. SEND ALL OF THESE BY REGISTERED MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED. Make sure you include at the bottom of the letter "CC: Mayor Joseph Blow, District Attorney John Q. Public. This will certainly catch the eye of the Police Chief.

Hopefully, it goes without saying that you are keeping a detailed paper trail. Keep careful records of all phone calls: Who, what, when. Get all your notes and put them in a manilla folder. Keep it with you at all times, that way if you get a call on your cell phone, you can pull over and record the time and the topic of the discussion.

**disclaimer: I dont think this way about ALL cops, just the "holier than thou" and LAZY ones.**

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I agree with the above. You are dealing with a lazy cop, or one that is on the take, and that is not an unusual thing in larger cities. Do as 1958FWD suggested, you have to get a little more assertive. Go to a superior and try to get something done. The problem with that is that a higher-up may defend the officer all the way. Sometimes everyone in a department sticks together that way. Don't hesitate to contact an alderman and then the mayors office. If there are other people that had their vehicles stolen the same way from the yard, see if they have made police reports and see if you can get their names and information and contact them. If you all band together it will make things easier. There are obvious things there that the cop just does not want to deal with. You are right, the guy that owns the lot should be arrested for theft - let a jury decide his guilt or innocense.