A Vibration That The Mack Shop Can't Figure Out

I have a 98 CH613. Last year the engine (427hp) was replaced with a Mack Reman engine. Since the "new" engine was installed there is a vibration when under load in lets say 4th 5th 6th gear (10 speed fuller). It feels like I'm driving over rumble strips. It's most notable in 5th. The entire truck shakes and it feels like the dash board is going to shake apart.

When I'm bobtailing there is no vibration and when pulling my dump trailer empty the vibration is there but not as noticeble as when I'm loaded.

The Mack shop that did the install thought the clutch wasn't indexed correctly when the motor was installed. They "re-indexed" the clutch but that did nothing. They re- tightened motor mounts and that had no effect. The truck needed a few u-joints and a center bearing. Nothing has changed.

Any ideas? Anyone have this problem? Does the clutch need to be re-indexed again? The shop doesn't think so but one mechanic said it could be in 1 of 4 possible positions.

Thanks

The harmonic balancer. Is it the same thing????

Yes, they are the same item. Different names for the same thing. The power pulses transmitted to the crankshaft from the piston/rod combination sets up harmonic vibrations through the crankshaft. The dampner, or balancer is installed to counter these harmonic vibrations to both smooth the engine while running to relieve the crankshaft of torsional stresses preventing cracks, and ensure a long service life of both the shaft itself, and friction bearings. Uncontrolled harmonic vibrations will quickly render a crankshaft scrap from the minute cracking that will happen.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The new engine did come with a new harmonic balancer. The shop said it can't be that because I should have the vibration all the time which I don't.

Have your ride height checked possible drive line angle problem!Clutch replaced? flywheel ground? The vib you have is likly unrelated Unrelated to the engine in my opinion But you never know!

What do you mean? How can changing the motor affect the drive shaft? Unless I was going from a 237 to a 460. I guess the new motor is putting out it's rated hp and the old one was probably doing a bit less.

Hey fjh...the shop also thinks it's unrelated to the motor.

Other than the vibe the new motor runs like a s.o.b.

thats what I would be thinking too bet the mechanic was not paying to much attention when they put the new u joints and carrier bearing in

Why was the drive shaft out???If it was that is a possiblity!If your having a shutter at aprox 40 mph 6 and seventh check the ride height!

The shaft was out when they replaced the center bearing. I don't get the vibration at higher speeds. Its usually around 20-30. Anything done to the driveline made no difference. Anything done at all made no difference (so far). All I know is this ...old motor no vibe, new motor bad vibe :P .

• 3 months later...

Easy ride height check-- Dump the air in the suspension when it is shaking. IF the shaking goes away, it is set to High(lower the susp. on leveling valve). If it doesn't go away, the ride height MAY NOT BE set high enough(if it is a driveline issue at all). Easy easy way to check for ride height isssue.... :dwave::SMOKIE-LFT:

There Is No Replacement, For Displacement!!!!!

I had a vibration similar to your problem and it was caused by ride height. Mine was to low have that checked. However I realy think it has to do with the new engine...like you said old engine no problem new engine bad vibration.The only good thing is IF you had it installed at a Mack dealer and it tears something up they will fix it. I had the harmonic balancer come off a week after I had a new cam installed. The dealer paid for the tow and the repairs. There has to be a way to test the engine's harmonic balancer to find out if it is bad. Good luck and please let us know what you find and how you got it fixed.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

• 2 weeks later...

I had an '01 Vision in the shop for some electronic problems once. I

got the truck back within in a few miles loaded started to shake at

56-59. It only shook only while loaded also. Mack had it for a month swapping parts,

only to find ride height out.

Did not make sense that it went out, while in the shop for unrelated problems.

To this day it still rides nice now according to new owner.

Hope this helps and you get it fixed.

IF you have air-ride, watch air gage. You may have a bag blown out. When you hit a bump, chassis drops, driveline vibration.

OR, this may sound crazy, but check for broken axle. Place I worked had "the worlds best driver" Truck had serious vibration occasionally. Pulled trans, and checked out OK. Pulled an axle, broke. This driver also snapped another the same week.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian