Whats Your Favorite Type Of Track Loader

Jocko

What is that extra piece on the 939?

It looks like a GPS setup for running grade. They are quite popular but don't think I've seen one on a dozer that small before. Lot of D6 and above sized tractors around here run them. The set interfaces into the machine hydraulics and will run grade within about 1/8th inch if monitored during the push/cut.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Personally I prefer the 977L to any of them. I have a 953 and a 955L but none of them push like the 77- or lift as much The hydrostats are nice and agile but in a hard push it's hard to beat the pwer shifts of yesterday

That is the truth - We had a 977K years ago and that thing pushing trees and rolling out root balls would out grunt a newer hydrostat. I also had a 951C that was awfully handy if you had to haul it around and a little 931B with a rear backhoe I used to build my house and shop. I like the hydrostats, but if you are buying a cheap old farm loader, I like the powershifts.

We sold the 977K and bought a D8K -77V. That was a great machine with the perfect balance of weight and horsepower. We sold it to a company in Texas that was buying all of them they could find to install a sideboom on and ship it to Russia for some big pipeline job a few years ago. That poor thing went from lightly working 300 hours a year on a Missouri farm pushing fencerows to working three shifts a day in subzero weather and having to also learn the Cyrillic alphabet!

• 2 weeks later...

I always liked the International 250 loader with tthe 4 in one bucket, the first time i drove one I was about 15 years old, my uncle Frank sent me up to the top of the bank and it bring it down to the front. Well about a 1/2 a mile walk to the machine, and I could not for the life of me find the freakin starter button!! I went all the way back down the ramp to find out that it was right next to my leg!! I mean come on who the hell would a thought!!! I did like the machine though and you don't see to many of them, you see a lot of 175's but not 250's

BULLHUSK PS we did have an older Cat loader that looked like an old 977(pony start and clutch driven) I'm thinkin we called it a 20-A ? does that sound right? It was a very good old track loader that you couldn't KILL!!

977L love the sound of this machine. My friend with the the Allis scraper has this. Purchased it new and still works in the wood with it. What years were the L series made?

You best be careful talking about scrapers and showing pictures of dirty dozers in the same sentence. Gonna make randyp pop a hard on an look to come visit you.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well if size is any indication, then here is my 440 putt putt....Wouldn't want to scare ole randyp!

I ran one of those a couple of times and I'm thinking it is the same tractor. Two cylinder diesel?

Rob

Real man type of track loader................

SDC10876.jpg

Lakeside sand and gravel puts on a show every spring. They have refurbished a bunch of equipment and make smoke and noise all day with them. Near a dozen shovels, nother dozen dozers and some cool dirt haulers too.

SDC10875.jpg

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Wow...that brings back some childhood memories!!! Isn't that the one where they turn the shovel into a furnace after he dug himself into the hole??

I've always wanted to run something like that(at least once). Sure does take some finesse to make them run smoothly. About 5 yrs ago I was at a show with some equipment running. I watched this 70+yr old fellow with some disabilities whip this drag line around like it was own arms. I was amazed has he limped off with a bad leg and one out of shape arm!!! I'm thinking he had run that shovel many, many years.

Maybe 20yrs ago, a guy I just met through a car club worked at his dads paving company. He invited me over to play with the Deere Extendahoe(we talked and I mentioned I've never ran anything like that before). In no time flat I had a 10ft hole dug!! LOL!! I was in second heaven.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

977L love the sound of this machine. My friend with the the Allis scraper has this. Purchased it new and still works in the wood with it. What years were the L series made?

Tim, I have a 1990 Cat Handbook that shows 1978 to 1982. Weight 48010#.

Thanks David,

I could probably pick this one up but I've been told parts are pretty expensive. I was told by the old timers that ran track loaders, they did everything before excavators came along. Could you imagine digging out cellar holes with one all day?

A local house mover and heaving rigging outfit here does just that with a 410B and C John Deere. They are now moving to large frame tracked skid steer loaders as they are much faster.

Rob

Thanks David,

I could probably pick this one up but I've been told parts are pretty expensive. I was told by the old timers that ran track loaders, they did everything before excavators came along. Could you imagine digging out cellar holes with one all day?

Missouri has about the highest concentration of track loaders in use for just that purpose. If you talk to a auction yard guy or a Cat salesman they will tell you the same thing. I don't know why that is, but that is how most basements are dug around here.

Note I said basement and not cellar. A cellar around here is a place you keep your homemade wine, sometimes hidden under a shed/barn. A basement in the large excavated area under your house.

Missouri has about the highest concentration of track loaders in use for just that purpose. If you talk to a auction yard guy or a Cat salesman they will tell you the same thing. I don't know why that is, but that is how most basements are dug around here.

Note I said basement and not cellar. A cellar around here is a place you keep your homemade wine, sometimes hidden under a shed/barn. A basement in the large excavated area under your house.

My understanding also.

Rob