Whats Your Favorite Type Of Track Loader

Jocko

tell me whats your favorite track loader

I don't have a whole lot of experience on different machines, but I once owned a John Deere 1010 diesel trackloader. I had 3 acres of woods and did quite a bit of work with that old machine. It was half wore out when I got it and it still worked when I sold it so I can't complain at all.

tell me whats your favorite track loader

My favorite "classic" would be the 977H. The D333T engines used in those sure sounded sweet with the factory straight pipe exhaust.

My favorite "modern" track loader would be any of the rear engine Cats - 943, 953, 963 etc. Very smooth machines to operate, and the counter rotating tracks let you work in some pretty tight spots.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I don't dislike any brand more than another. Depending on what has to be done, any type or size could have it's place on a job site. But I don't want one around my dump truck. As big as a 955 is, it still doesn't have enough reach to load a tandem. on level ground. Let me further define loading a tandem. When I say load I mean without running into the truck, busting off the side boards, or beating out the floor, with rip rap or busted concrete. I hope I didn't hurt anybody's feelings. But when you figure the cost of a 14 ft 2x12, paint, running to the building supply, cutting the board to fit, painting the board, and installing it, you will have three hours and a minimum of $20 in the repair. As a sidebar, I have had as much or more damage done while being loaded with an excavator. Including brick sized rocks and dirt clumps thrown on the hood. I guess it boils down to what you are willing to put up with. In my case it isn't much. I guess i am just a grumpy old man.

Found this on YouTube, this 977H sounds good, but if the guy actually knew how to operate it decent and opened up the throttle all the way instead of 1/2 way, it would be much more impressive.

He should set up his jobsite better too, at around 8:00 in the vid, he's repeatedly going over a hump with the poorly adjusted tracks hanging off the bottom rollers. I can't believe he didn't lose a track!

ran across this picture a while ago. the caption said "never piss off the guy who runs the backhoe".

I've learned over the years never to piss off the guy who loads your truck or the guy who fixes your truck. Both could make your life miserable. Let's just say when I was a mechanic, I never got mad; just got even. Much like your backhoe operator has illustrated! :thumb:

• 1 month later...
I don't dislike any brand more than another. Depending on what has to be done, any type or size could have it's place on a job site. But I don't want one around my dump truck. As big as a 955 is, it still doesn't have enough reach to load a tandem. on level ground. Let me further define loading a tandem. When I say load I mean without running into the truck, busting off the side boards, or beating out the floor, with rip rap or busted concrete. I hope I didn't hurt anybody's feelings. But when you figure the cost of a 14 ft 2x12, paint, running to the building supply, cutting the board to fit, painting the board, and installing it, you will have three hours and a minimum of $20 in the repair. As a sidebar, I have had as much or more damage done while being loaded with an excavator. Including brick sized rocks and dirt clumps thrown on the hood. I guess it boils down to what you are willing to put up with. In my case it isn't much. I guess i am just a grumpy old man.

hmmmm sounds like a lot of operator error to me. the excavating company i worked for ran a cat 953 highlift, and we used it all the time to load both our single axle r model dump ( 3 passes and i was heaped ) and to load our triaxle, it would handle the job on level ground no problem. I dont ever remember sideboards gettin ripped off with that machine or the trucks gettin hit. now gettin loaded with the excavator was always a different story. for some reason they tended to knock the sideboards off the r model dump i drove on a regular basis........or if the bosses kid was loadin and he couldreach it he was fondof grabbin your tailgate and shakin ya around a lil till he was sure he'd spilled you coffee all over yourself. i always prefered to get loaded by the highlift, was always faster and a lot less eventful lol. we had a couple of the finest operators i have ever seen though. I have always been a fan of the 953's great mid sized machines, and with a good operator capable of movin a lot of dirt in a day.

I put a lot of hrs on a 977 and 973 both, the 973 was a better machine, of course it replaced the 977, i loaded alot of trucks and yes you do get a side board ever now and then, the companies i worked for would pay for replacement, That happens, i got them with trackhoes to, so it all depends on what your loading or if you just had a brain fart, where the pick up was dug around, we bought a 627B that had been on fire, it was at a strip mine outfit in the cut, when we went back to get it, it was up in the air about 30 ft high cut straight down on all four sides, we had to haul a track loader in with a couple of dumps to make a ramp to get it down

953 and 963 always liked them, 953 was good for small jobs and the 963 could load a truck real fast and push most piles down in just 2 passes.

We have a 1995 Cat 963 redone undercarriage by Cat 1000 hrs ago. Rebuilt trans last year. We were thinking about possibly getting rid of it (no Work) dont know if anybody would be interested or not?

• 5 weeks later...

955L Cat for classic nothing like 3 levers (4in 1) & the sound of the motor

a 632 Liebherr for modern we had a 621B LIKED it from the 655B J.D. We had like the fact that it was joystick controled the only foot peadl was for the 4in1 bucket . easy to operate been spoiled on the German machine since ;)

& the 655B J.D Had the hydrostat in it wasnt crazy bout hearing it "whine" all the time :wacko:

but it was a good loader (pop burnt it up cleaning a burning pit out early 1 saturday morning bout 6 months after we got the deere paid off than GOD He was alright & i was running the 6220 Dresser trackhoe taking trees down )

anybody remember operating the 215 & 225 Cat trackhoes w the stick in the middle of floorboard for foward & reverse ? we had a 225 & man trackhoes came along way since then

later yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

anybody remember operating the 215 & 225 Cat trackhoes w the stick in the middle of floorboard for foward & reverse ? we had a 225 & man trackhoes came along way since then

later yall

:mack1:

Yup.

The early ones had the 3208 V8, then later on they started putting the 3304 4 cylinder engine in them.

The 3208 seemed to fail at early hours compared to the 3304, which seemed to last forever.

The 3304 is the same engine used in the 955 K & 955L track loaders, among others.

I remember that steering stick in the middle also had the horn button on top of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my 1988 A model 953. We repainted it like a c model abot 7 or 8 years ago and me made it a 953G, haha. Its about time for another paint job, owned it since new. Bawlderson bucket. 5500hrs just put new idlers and a head on it. Great machine. Probly never get rid of it.

post-3666-1239878324_thumb.jpg

Edited by sixfourkid

2008 Ford F-250 6.4l Crew Cab short Bet lifted on 20s

2007 Mack Granite ( Still waiting to put a Dump box on)

2005 Cat 257B Track skid Steer

1997 Cat 312B

1993 Ford L8000 15' heil dump box

1990 Mack CH set back axle

1988 Cat 953

Not Bad for a only being 22

• 1 month later...

I always heard a trackloader was like tits on a boar hog. I don't have one or never ran one. I can see their place, but the excavators take over for the most part. Too much turning and moving. Maybe if I had one I would appraceate them more. I would guess my favorite would be either an Allis HD5 or an OC96 Oliver. Old school tho.

Bob

1150C Case track loader, In about 1980 my dad purchased a the new loader. He let me stay home from school

and I rode along with in his 1959 B-Mack. We had to pick it up in Schopee Mn. About a 3 hr round trip from home and back.

We have a number of pictures of the old Mack when dad had it, I need to get some time to scan them into the computer and then post some

pictures. Have a good one.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Personally, I have owned four hydraulic excavators

but only one track loader, a Komatsu D57S-1. Most

in my area would say they are useless, but they do

have there place (in very specialized applications).

This unit served me well with no major complaints

considering the low investment necessary for a

33,000 pound, 130HP machine that filled a gap in

my operation and would load a truck.

post-4473-1251228662_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've never run a track loader, Only rubber tired. I moved one not that long ago. 1 thing I do not understand is why would you reverse the controls from a rubber tired machine to a track machine. Thank god nobody was near me I would of probally killed them. Reached for the outside lever pulled back to raise the arm and the bucket dumps. Had to scratch my head on that one. Of course no stickers anywhere to show the functions.If I ever bought one the controls would go to a wheel loaders controls. I know I was happy with the 950 we had. We'd go anywhere, do just about anything the dozer could do. or hell a backhoe for that matter. When you don't have what you need you use what you got.

Personally, I have owned four hydraulic excavators

but only one track loader, a Komatsu D57S-1. Most

in my area would say they are useless, but they do

have there place (in very specialized applications).

This unit served me well with no major complaints

considering the low investment necessary for a

33,000 pound, 130HP machine that filled a gap in

my operation and would load a truck.

post-4473-1251228662_thumb.jpg

Looks like a Case excavator in the background is a case excavator a good machine.