R Model Hood Scoops?

Hood scoops.

I have seen a few R models with the rearward facing scoop placed just over the turbo. was that an option or was used on specific models. I assume it is to remove the heat produced from the turbo and help air flow over it?? I have seen them on R600s, 700s U models, and DMs just wondering the reason behind them..

another thing I have seen diffrent on Rs was on my friends RS700 hood with a diffrent hood line on top of the hood. He has the lines that runs along the sides of the hood and come up top behind the dog then the lines turn back towards the cab in a "V" shape and end near the top edges. I have seen Valuliners have this but never RS700s or other models. Most of the hoods I have seen just run a line across the top behing the dog to the other side.

just a few observations B)

• Like 1

Thats intresting scott. never saw under the hood of a R with a Hood scoop. I thought all tip turbines got air from the air cleaner from the 2nd air tube?? Thats how my tip turbine is set up.. Learn something new every day. :thumb:

Havent seen any in a junk yard but will keep my eyes open for one

I believe the hood scoop lasted until frontal air cooling was introduced in 1981. I'll do a little research and verify the years they offered the hood scoop. I have been picking them up when I can, I always liked the look of them. They were used on all of the conventional models including the steel front butterfly hoods.

RS, RL and Valueliners used a hood that carried the bodyline back the top of the hood toward the cab. I liked this arrangement, it allowed for some creative striping.

Doug

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

My '74 RS has that same style hood. I think there pretty cool looking.

1974 what a year. Dad had westcoast f model 285/ 5spd and 4" straight pipe, no scoop (no hood)

but duel 8" intake pipes up the back. Then we put those ram air scoops mack was selling in the late 70s

on them

hood scoops will never die seen many on US and Canadian macks today (rw cl and ch's}

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

Buddy of mine had a 75' Triaxle DM :mack1: Dump w/ hood scoop & i looked under the hood whoa that was a air intake system i had never seen on a DOG untill then man what a difference than regular Mack motor

BTW Was this a similar setup like the :mack1: 300 plus ?

have a goodone B)

Bulldog

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

under the scoop should be filter and duct that feeds air to the tip turbine. if you happen to run across a junker with that set-up i want it for my next project. scott

Dont wanna sound dumb, but, what does the front of the hood look like with the scoop?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 2 weeks later...

As it has been stated, I verified today that the hood scoop was used on the R until '75-76 model year. The changeover may have allowed you to end up with either a hood scoop or two pipe air cleaner. The reason for going away from the scoop was to eliminate debris from getting sucked into the air cooler. Heavier models such as DM, DMM and RM used the scoop into the '80's. I didn't verify the last year I saw them on the Mack calendars but I probably will just for giggles. Doug

Hi There Guys! :bulldog1:

I was always to the understanding that an R-model with the scoop on the hood was a 300+ and the R-700's hoods were a different line bcause they were the western Mack. (Built in CA.)

1965 B755.... :SMOKIE-RT::mack1:

Always Remember and Never Forget!

"IN DOG WE TRUST"

1965 B755

OWNER/OPERATOR

1965 Mack B755, 325hp V-8, 15spd. Tri-Plex, 44,000 Camelbacks, Twin Screw....

1969 Mack R6 , 250hp il6cyl., 15spd. Tri-Plex, 46,000 Camelbacks, Twin Screw....

1995 KW T600/603 500hp-3406E CAT, 18spd. Roadranger, Rockwell SQHD's @ 3.70's, 60" ADAC, 10 Alums., Dig. Dash, Sunroof, Headache Rack, Sliding 5th wh., LP24.5's, KW 8-bag Airglide 200 Air Ride, White w/ Red,Blue,&Gold Graphics & Lettering. over Black bumper & side fairings.....

1986 J&L 43' SS 5000gal. tank on Air....

1986 Grain Hopper 43'x96"x80" on Air...

1978 Ravens 42'x96"x4' lite wght. sidekit w/ tarp and 32" rise bows, on 9' spread on Hen. A/R....

1991 CPS 45'x102"x12'6" Walking Floor, Spring Ride, Closed Tandem....

1977 Lowboy 24' deck w/ 4' beavertail, Tri-Axle...

1966 Fruehauf 40' close tandem spring/slider w/ easy trip log bunks....

1986 Ford F250 4x4 6.9L Diesel, C-6, SC...

1987 Chevy V20 4x4 350FI, 400 Auto., Custom Show Truck, 41k orig. miles...

1968 IH Scout 304ci, Auto., 4x4, Project...

1998 Cub Cadet 2000 Series Pulling Tractor 25hp Kohler Command V-Twin in 20 Stock Class....

Yes, the hood scoops were used on the 300+, it was the air intake for the tip turbine. An R-700 was not only a Hayward built truck, they were built in Pennsylvania as well. The western built trucks were labelled as such and most if not all were RL or RS models with aluminum components. Knowing how :mack1: was at the time I would think that they may have built some standard spec trucks in the western plant. I am going to start a new thread on this subject.

Yes, the hood scoops were used on the 300+, it was the air intake for the tip turbine. An R-700 was not only a Hayward built truck, they were built in Pennsylvania as well. The western built trucks were labelled as such and most if not all were RL or RS models with aluminum components. Knowing how :mack1: was at the time I would think that they may have built some standard spec trucks in the western plant. I am going to start a new thread on this subject.

I had a 1985 DM686s with the scoop setup for the intercooler air, it also had the steel hood, it was originally a municipal truck with central hydraulics, snow plow etc. I was the 3rd owner, completely refurbished the truck in 96.Will try to attach photos if I can figure out the process.

I had a 1985 DM686s with the scoop setup for the intercooler air, it also had the steel hood, it was originally a municipal truck with central hydraulics, snow plow etc. I was the 3rd owner, completely refurbished the truck in 96.Will try to attach photos if I can figure out the process.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Tuff looking mack. wouldent want to get its way!!

what do you haul in that monster!!!!!

Anything that would fit thru the tailgate & even some stuff that didnt! I sold it in 2000, wish id have held on to it. It had a 300 with air shift 6 spd & 44k rears

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I believe that trucks built at Hayward used a five digit VIN. I know my '74 was. Oddly the only thing aluminum is the doors. The rails and everything else is steel.

I have seen F models made in Hayward with aluminum fenders,doors,and the top of cab. Ron

• 8 years later...