slack adjusters

I use a old air tank off a trailer

Mount it vertically and half fill it with diesel 

Then a small 1/8th connected to a grease nipple fitting, Zerk fitting you lot will call it 

14514NEW.thumb.jpg.d6c560a3b02f0e83188b8de353d7306b.jpg

Anyway, compressed air in the tank and forcing diesel under pressure in to the slack adjuster 

Slack adjuster needs to be off the truck and clamped in a vice for this

Then on with the rattle gun and all the dry old grease spews out the sides 

This pretty much always works and then just pump full of fresh grease

Make sure the locking doohickie (collar) on the adjusting bolt is free to click in and out 

This should solve your problems 

If the slack adjuster is backing off it isnt locking in the collar

Paul

• Like 2

Paul...   you speak a great truth..  however,  here in this land we throw stuff in the trash..  and I'm sure his slack adjust is automatic. you speak of a manual slack adjuster, which works perfectly.  just needs to be checked regularly..  thanks again for posting a real repair...  jojo

two are backing off ? does this imply these are on drive axle and there are two other wheels which work correctly ?? one of two axles? both slacks on same axle ? what brand of slacks are used? are slacks mounted working backwards?? size wrench used to adjust ??? 9/16 = 7/16 ?? auto or manual adjusters ??

• Like 1

I haven’t really paid much attention to them but I know they are different now I haven’t had to adjust one and over 30 years But you know how that goes on here people ask for information you give it to them they just disappear ha ha

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark T said:

This fella didn't list anywhere near enough info about what kind of slacks he's talking about, or better yet pictures.  !!!  stay outta his way !!!  (lol)

Oh, what are they say? Pictures are worth 1000 words.Lol

4 hours ago, mowerman said:

Oh, what are they say? Pictures are worth 1000 words.Lol

At the moment we talk about at least 2 slack ajuster worth :)

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

theres not enough info..  are they old? are they new?  are they on the front drive incorrectly?  anyway..  I guess we wait for him to post more info and pictures..   jojo

I kinda think (wild guess) he's talking about Haldex slacks on a Mack. Sounds kinda like what they do when the cams and bushings were worn and the serated ring for the adjustment is rounded off. Again, just a guess.

On 2/24/2024 at 8:23 PM, mechohaulic said:

two are backing off ? does this imply these are on drive axle and there are two other wheels which work correctly ?? one of two axles? both slacks on same axle ? what brand of slacks are used? are slacks mounted working backwards?? size wrench used to adjust ??? 9/16 = 7/16 ?? auto or manual adjusters ??

7/16 to adjust. Haldex. both on drivers side drive axles, they worked fine for 2 years and then didn't. Back in fall on time when I greased lot's of water came out. 

3 inches of movement, didn't know cans would push a rod that far

Anyway, maybe some modern disc brake job I have never seem

Certianly a type of slack adjuster I have never seen

Maybe check the adjuster is actually backing off and not the S cam just winding around and around from worn drums and shoes

This only applies with drum brakes though

I have had trailers I have bought were a combination of wrong sized rollers, worn shoes, worn S cam bushes and stuffed drums allow the S cam to just keep on spinning 

It is amazing how good things actually work when things aren't worn

The old swiss cheese effect, like on those aircraft investigation shows, it's never the wing falling off the plane, it's always a combination of a lot of small stuff lining up at the wrong time 

Paul

• Like 1

It would be...  as well as knowing how to get things done !!  much like how you (Paul) have to grab the bull by the horns to get the job done..  With great respect...  Jojo

• Like 1