slack adjusters

I don't get this one (lol)  Haldex slacks work very well. That one's serviceable life has come to it's end. The nylon bushing is worn , you can see where the clevis was on it and it's been greased.  It even has black paint left on it.  It's just worn out, and likely had a long life already. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Mark T said:

I don't get this one (lol)  Haldex slacks work very well. That one's serviceable life has come to it's end. The nylon bushing is worn , you can see where the clevis was on it and it's been greased.  It even has black paint left on it.  It's just worn out, and likely had a long life already. 

I am also a an auto slack hater just an excuse for dumb ass people to not know what to do in some cases these guys are hearding  tanker bombs down the highway if they are relying on auto slacks that aren’t working they are flirting with everyone’s life!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

we have long stroke brake chambers here, 3'' stroke. 

Joey are these type the same length as a normal slack adjuster  ?

If so with 3 inches of stroke they could very easily push the cam past were it needs to be

Sorry Im not try to hijack the thread, Im just curious about this stuff

Paul 

Yes, I believe the mount is where the difference is. The chambers are longer in the middle section, the slack adjuster are still 5",5 1/2", and 6" on center 28 spline. And the chamber mounting holes are still a figure 8 mounting pattern.  As far as pushing too far, to me, that is up to the installer to measure the push rod correctly.  And maintain proper adjustment..  

3 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

If so with 3 inches of stroke they could very easily push the cam past were it needs to be

Paul 

I can’t see that happening unless the shoe linings are worn out along with the drums,once they make contact with the drums that’s all they can go and that’s as far as the s cam can turn..

• Like 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Paul 

These came into existence around the same time as extended life brake shoes .  Way more geometry goes into brakes than most guys think.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

don't know I would go the route of being worried of play in cam bushings; keep track of brake operation more important. not knowing particulars of unit such as how old brakes are / daily driver/ seasonal operation = unit can be side lined for complete brakes if needed/ just how much play bushing  actually have/etc. now this will have people wondering=== depending on answers to previous questions AND brake cam set up:: I have on cam housings which are long enough and providing grease fitting operation NOT hampered have removed slack taken proper size pipe going over brake cam tapped old plastic bushing into cam housing. all the bushing will do is float around on cam  then installed a new bushing /replace slack adjuster. basically a "temporary fix "till allowable time from complete ..  won't be able to do this red neck technic IF the cam housing has a shoulder inside.

• Like 1

So with a 3 inch stroke is the angle of the slack adjuster set to 90° to the maxi can rod with no adjustment on on the brake and then once this geometry is set the brake adjusted as normal ?

You never know, I met get all modern one day and need to know this stuff 

Paul

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

So with a 3 inch stroke is the angle of the slack adjuster set to 90° to the maxi can rod with no adjustment on on the brake and then once this geometry is set the brake adjusted as normal ?

Paul

Depends what wheel position. Here they weren't as popular on drives as on a steer axle or some auxilury axles. Sometimes on drives they (long strokes) would be type 36 chambers. Usually when you buy a new automatic slack adjuster they come with a template in the packaging. The geometry of them is a little different from manufacturer to manufacturer, but still basically within the 90 degree thing. They just have different adjusting methods. Still above and beyond all, everything needs to be in good shape and maintained. They work and have a life span just like anything else.   The Haldex (manufacturer)  ones in this thread require a little wand anchored to the cam tube and an adjusting strap that's a strip of stainles steel that sandwiches in between a chamber mounting stud. Then after you get your angle as per the instructions, you set that little pointer arrowy thing in the little window on the slack. Tighten it's nut, and you're ready to go.  There's several different types. They're automatic, but not maintainence free.  So on some of the setups, the long stroke makes sense becuase of all the different slack adjuster arrangements there are now. Your basic Q shoes with a five and a half inch slack..... not so much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Paul

also keep in mind the 90 degree angle  number not always obtainable. have seen brake chambers replaced with the  rod being cut too short. also the people that say " don't need to check brakes it has automatic adjusters." the diaphragm on long stroke service side  is also deeper. early days of long stroke cans , it has been done where short stroke diaphragm was installed == didn't work well or for long. 

All my linings and drums are good, I replaced 2 wheel seals and bearing sets over the summer and checked all bearings. I noticed some play in s cam but wanted to put it off until winter. I will be installing the 2 new slack adjusters next week. They are the standard 6" center to center 28 spline. I'm thinking that as long as I can maintain under 2" free stroke the cam play won't affect anything. Anybody that thinks you don't need to check brake adjustment daily with "automatic" slack adjusters should not have a CDL license. The manufacture state the adjusters should only be adjusted when first installed and when any brake work is done, that adjusting them any more than that actually wears them out prematurely. That does NOT mean you should not check the free play. Otherwise the only way you know adjuster has failed is when you can't stop or don't pass inspection.

• Like 2

Sounds like your all over this now

I doubt the worn S can bushes will cause any real concern in the next few months 

Thanks letting me take this a little off topic to learn about the automatic adjusters

Paul 

On 2/27/2024 at 4:57 PM, Joey Mack said:

we have long stroke brake chambers here, 3'' stroke.  they can be identified by the square shaped air line ports on the chamber..  We cant go back to Real Slacks, because of the Gov'ment..  Manual slacks can only be used if the truck was born with them.  Too bad,  they work good, and with regular maint, continue to work good..  I prefer them too.....

I have the type 24 long stroke on the front of my cl, can they be identified by square air line ports also,can’t remember off hand what they look like,they do have a plastic tag attached  saying 2 1/2 inch stroke witch is long on the front axle..

16 hours ago, MACKS said:

Must be nice to have a new truck with all disc brakes,I guess it eliminates a lot of the hardware we have to deal with on drum brakes..

hopefully todays disc brakes are better, yrs back company bought fleet of ford C O E's  having kelsey hayse  disc brakes ;;; what a night mare they were.  can't say they had less hardware ; parts and "trinkets" for hardware . glad I wasn't footin the bill also. $$$$

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MACKS said:

I’ll take a look later..

Hmmm,my air line ports are round,the tag says 2 1/2 inch stroke,I thought that was a long stroke but now I found out a long stroke type 24 can has 3.38 inch stroke,now I want to swap them out if I can..🤷‍♂️