B75 w/Turbocharged Thermodyne

Humbird

Question

29 minutes ago, steve s. said:

If it is the original engine, the model would be a B753, the three denoting that it was turbocharged. The model and serial number should be on a tag on the lower part of the passengers door. The serial number will also appear on the frame near the rear spring hanger for the passenger side of the front axle. The serial would probably begin with B753S, the S indicating a tandem rear axle, if it was built that way. There were a total of 1825 B753 models built from 1955 to 1966, in a variety of configurations. To say that there were only three like the one your looking at might be true in some obscure way, but it sounds like a stretch to me. Looks like a nice truck, and it is certainly worth fixing.

This is great information; thank you so much! I’ll look into it a bit further and see if the owner can give me the exact model name. For over 1800 having been built, “one of three” does seem kind of weird. Maybe he’s got details…

4 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Something looks wrong about the relationship of the engine fan and the radiator shround on the 2nd photo.

l thought the motor was on the ground at first. Top radiator support rods are cut off and resting on the motor.    .....Hippy  

• Like 2

+1 on that radiator shroud looking goofy. That fan is way low and tiny compared to that massive radiator.

Also, I'm entirely unfamiliar with B's, are the X braces above the engine normal in B's? They've been cut, which is no big deal to replace.

• Like 1

cross braces are not unusual for B's  ; without a doubt there is a lineup situation with fan vs shroud ;; could be one of many items. main point  to consider is :: are enough truck/ parts vs dollar in question worth asking price,??  after purchase/shipping/  rebuild  how far in debt would buyer be ??   major restoration looking at rotten floor panels . obvious not all parts original . broken mounts ? flex hose used for radiator inlet/ outlet. all in all the 75 is one fine looking truck. days at waterbury Mack Trucks myself and another mechanic /wrecker driver  did our darnest to convince owner to replace the old '57 diamond-T wrecker chassis with a trade in Mack B-75 .;; NO way would he. ended up with a B-61 with 10 uni-shift. was still nicer then the ole '57 T. 

• Like 1

Lots of good looking sheet metal, but it doesn’t appear to be running to me all great comments I don’t have an opinion on price, but as they say yes, there is way more than 3  they really don’t have any antique value if that’s what you’re looking for. Thanks for the post. Good luck…. Bob

• Like 1

I didn’t even notice the link I just opened it up. Yes I see what you mean. I don’t know why the cab and  doors are so rough and nose looks immaculate. I wouldn’t even bother with it other than part it out 

I had noticed the doors and floor panels, but a buddy of mine has a donor cab that’s not in bad shape. The difference in fan and shroud height is what really raised some red flags for me. So I figured I’d ask here. And I’m glad I did, all the info is much appreciated - I definitely think I’ll pass on this one. Besides, I’ve got enough projects as it is! 😅

Thanks again, y’all!

Looks to me like the radiator isnt original 

Its orange the trucks yellow, this would explain the fan situation 

As to the price, if it was out here you would get knocked down in the rush to buy it

I would consider it to be good buying at that price 

Paul

Looks like a single frame, and while the cab floor is rotted out it could be a great foundation for a restoration. "Brakes don't work" it's got rotochambers. Swap those out for some 30/30's.

I'd consider paying 2500 for that if I wanted a B to restore. 

But seller would need to explain that "1 of 3" BS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

But seller would need to explain that "1 of 3" BS.

Does it even make a difference 

To me it isn't bad buying at that money

It's a good start for a project and everything after that doesn't amount to a hill of beans as the saying goes

It really is a good start at a good price

All the picking apart of a listing is kinda childish to me as no one is gunna keep it original anyway

I hope who ever buys it enjoys it for what it is 

Would there be many good B model cabs left in the states

They didn't so much rust apart in Australia, more broke apart with metal fatigue with our fantastic roads

Paul