Here's what I found:

• 283hp E6 out of a 1981 Mack RD600
  • 2,800lbs
  • It runs but should be rebuilt
    • Intake valve springs broken
    • Cylinder wear
  • $750
  • $900 shipping

My only concern is installing it in my B61. Mating it to the transmission and front crossmember?

display.thumb.jpg.45eee44b4f94c20301a34bc1d1c69da1.jpg

display.thumb.jpg.4a3338d176dea0af3bbda2b0f80288a2.jpg

display.thumb.jpg.e9eb6458585334562e24f231dddd4518.jpg

Fuel injection lines were removed but...

display.thumb.jpg.23933233d8b35e89ac0bb112fd80f626.jpg

Hell man I would jump on that good luck bob

2 minutes ago, terry said:

Have to comment on the trans. Statement about how many gears are needed, you do need more gears with a single counter shaft trans behind the 237 or 285 engine that series of trans will not take the lugging down them engines can do.   Terry:MackLogo:

Would that not be dependant on how much weight one intends to pull with it?. Fortunately, the triple countershaft 6 speeds should be easy to source and cheap to acquire so if that is a concern, should be easy to just go that route. 

3 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I'm very late to the party here 

Only thing to be careful of with running beads of weld to pull liners is the crank

If the crank is still in the block and a booger from the welding gets stuck on the crank it can become costly 

This is normal only a issue on a inframe build 

Cut some thin tin the same width as the journal and wrap it around and a hose clamp

You can then hook in pretty confident it will all be good 

I remember looking at Vlads photos some years ago with the from a Lanova motor in a normal workshop press, block was nearly as big as the press and I  seam to recall took all press effort to push the liners home

Some maybe dry ice for dry liners and the electric blanket off the spare bed on the block for a day or so might make the job much easier putting the new sleeves back in

Anyways,  this is not gunna be a in frame rebuild as the motors well and truly out of the frame now

Paul 

another quick option to crank cover would be one or two welding gloves placed in bottom of cyl. high tech would be piece of asbestos cover; for most welding gloves work.  one wraps the journal another for added coverage lays on top of first in liner.  easier to move cyl to cyl.  also stick rod makes more sparks (does better on heat distribution?) wire feed not as messy challenge to get in cyl at times. lest we NOT forget how /where the ground is attached !

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, terry said:

the six speed is a direct trans. would not work good with the older rear ratios, the right model of the old style trasmissions are overdrive in both boxes.   terry:MackLogo:

Excellent point. I had forgotten about that as I changed out the diff as well to one with a MUCH faster ratio. 

I have only done one in frame I was living in the San Fernando Valley at the time and my driveway. It was 106° every day I was working on it and yes I can remember pulling automatic transmission out of a 55 Chevy wagon when I was just a teenager, it was only 17° out, ha ha now there is  some talent. I wouldn’t do it now at 67. 

• Like 1

I suspected transmission issues when the truck was jacked up for hauling it to the shop - water dripping off the output shaft. But it was, "clean and clear water so maybe it was just a little rain water sitting on top of the case. And how much water could there be?" 

The input shaft didn't turn... maybe it was simply jammed between two gears??? I pulled the duplex cover before its drain plug, to see how much just to see how much oil there was. Water's heavier than oil so it'll be bottom. The top picture shows water, not oil.

I'm going to rebuild the transmission - hopefully nothing requires crazy torque numbers. 450ft-lb will be tough.

Bearings are going to be all standard bearings excepting a double race one at the rear end of the compound countershaft. Cones are standard Timken or others but that double race cup is an original part which was even possibly made by Mack in house. I had luck locating a NOS one for my Duplex TRD-37 and my tranny thogh being rusty inside looked much more promising (and contained oil not clear water) as the one on the pics.

Ok, now I recall I also had "adventure" locating a small roller bearing installed in the rear end of the pinion shaft. Main box main shaft spins in it with its front end. I could find the part# and further used interweb search and found the part in Australia and for nearly hunderd and a half local bucks. Plus shipping. Spent a couple evenings on the net and found much cheaper alternative locally but the bearing race needed a bit of machining. If you hit that trouble PM me and I will describe the details.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Mech...??  Now your starting to sound like a cranky Old Coot..   I have only ever built them in the truck,  and not always in a shop..  However,,   I am spoiled now..  

Still Love You,  Mech...   Jojo

• Thanks 1

I guess I should have posted these pic's, Keith..  It's an ENDT 673, for a '61-ish B-Model..  The stand was made by one of his employee's.. its a strong stand but I have to use my engine crane to rotate it..  and I will have to take it off the stand and put it on blocks so I can put the flywheel housing on it,  cant put the pan on without the front and rear covers..  I'm just glad it's not in the truck..   just sayin'..  Jojo

KIMG2530.JPG

KIMG2531.JPG

• Like 2

the part you cant see, is the flat stock that is drilled to match up with the alternator bracket.. I think its 1/2'' thick..  its stout..  

I'm heading back out there, if I rotate it I will take pictures of it, and post them.