Engine rebuild on a '53 B-61T: END673

Keith S

Yep, I keep it greased, you wouldnt believe how easy it is to crank it up, and the pull the pin to rotate it..  Of course when it is fully built it's a little tougher, but still, wayyyyy  better than doing these 'in-chassis'....  Just sayin'.. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mark T said:

Harbor Freight always asks if you'd like to buy the extended coverage..... they should offer some kinda insurance for when you get hurt using their junk. 

Hazard Fraught has improved, but they still have a lot of junk. Their 4-ton floor jack seems good - don't know if will lift 4 tons.

I needed a new floor jack and bought the Snap-On look alike from Harbor freight so far I am satisfied with the jack. I think it was about $200.00. I don't have many things from there but last time I was in the store it looked like they had some better quality items for sale.

• Like 2

We aren't shy of some their tools, but most of our repairs are  once in a blue moon type stuff. Hard to justify thousands of dollars for something that'll get used maybe 3 times in 10 years.  Their Titanium plasma cutter has been great. Runs great on 220v, but not so well on 110v. 

Sorry to hijack thread; I'd consider making a bracket for my stand to hold a Mack engine by the side like Joey's is so the center of gravity is closer to the post. But I'd weigh the engine on my 1800's wagon scale before taking that risk.

Edited by JoeH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith S said:

Hazard Fraught has improved, but they still have a lot of junk. Their 4-ton floor jack seems good - don't know if will lift 4 tons.

It is a great place to shop if you’re at do it yourselfer I’ve never really had any trouble with anything in there

I bought a porter power in there over 30 years ago. I’ve only used it about three times still works real well. Got it for a song. Perfect example of what you’re talking about. I only use that around three times.

• Like 1

Probably mentioned a wife bought me an engine crane for Christmas there. I know that thing is gonna come in real handy around here lifting all this  heavy stuff. Decided to get one when I found out the steering box that I have to take out weighs 100 pounds

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mowerman said:

I bought a porter power in there over 30 years ago. I’ve only used it about three times still works real well. Got it for a song. Perfect example of what you’re talking about. I only use that around three times.

have bought number of items from H F ; also consider the quality of any product from all manufactures 30 yrs ago VS todays quality has changed considerably. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keith S said:

never thought it a good idea to use ANY product to it's maximum capacity . lifting a loaded truck wouldn't think of using a 10 ton jack to max; bring out the 20 ton. most well know brands have a "lower quality" division. after -- yrs of pushing wrenches, rule of thumb now is :: how am I going to get hurt doing this!! use over rated tools/ equipment lowers the hurt ratio. 

• Like 1

Yes MarkT,,   It is not mine though..  I am blessed that the engine owner is kind enough to let me use it..  Jojo

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 12:13 PM, Joey Mack said:

Mech...??  Now your starting to sound like a cranky Old Coot..   I have only ever built them in the truck,  and not always in a shop..  However,,   I am spoiled now..  

Still Love You,  Mech...   Jojo

All right now that’s just hilarious