A New Level of Insanity

67RModel

5 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

It's over man. And why I'm so bitter with life now. had to give up the only thing I ever wanted to do....trucking.

But I'll never get another one now. Between those prices, the new regs and the new drivers on the road......no thanks.

I just saw a listing here in Canada for a USED Pete with a high rise bunk. Said "Heavy Haul Tractor" but it had a Paccar MX510 engine and 40 rears 🤣

But anyway....it had 300 and some thousand miles on it and the crack head was asking $220,000. Bahahahaha.

I'll give you $70,000 for it bud. LOL

other end of the "stick"; I took advantage of the insane prices for vehicles . had a '17 GMC duramax  which I bought end of '18 with 22K miles. excellent truck had pin striping  and extras. put 40K miles on it ; traded it in on my new jeep in '21. point is the dealer paid me for trade in just under what I paid for it 3 yrs before.  the RV topic was out the window (according to wife) ; regen was breaking my ba-ls  ; wasn't using it enough . didn't need it . couldn't say no when offer was 14K higher than on line listings. dealer wanted older units.

6 hours ago, tjc transport said:

i see them here all the time too. 7-8 year old trucks with 5-800k mile on them for 150-200 grand. yea, smoke another bowl of crack. 

but i guess that is why people are willing to pony up new price for our trucks. 

besides the fact they know our trucks are maintained better than a "new" truck. oil gets changed every 3 months, which works out to around every 5-6  thousand miles. 

😱😱😱

I paid $38K for an '01 with 250k miles in '08. E7-460P/T2180B/4.17 Mack rears on air ride. 240" WB daycab. It's got a 12.8k steer, so parking brakes on both drives.

Then again, it's got about 150k on the new motor now as it sits in the driveway...been parked for 5 years at the end of this summer. Last guy that wanted to buy it (it's not for sale) pushed me to name a price, and I told him I'd consider letting it go for $850k. Sounds like my price wasn't too far off...🤑🤑🤑😂

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

The insurance, title and tag almost always costs more than the price of the truck for us (both pickups and semi's). Once they get to be the antique tag age is when things get even cheeper. The days of getting $1000 farm trucks is probably over now though with online taking over. 

Not sure if my memory is serving me last work truck I bought was a two year old U model 1990 I thought it was only around  28,000 I don’t know how you could make any money if I had 315,000 to spare I would buy 10 repo houses and turn them Bob

We do not have trucks to make money off of on rental.

We have them for our own business.

And by flipping every 5 years or so we get top dollar for them.

Te only reason I go out on rental is if a friend is in a jam short on trucks.

There is only 4 companies I will rent to.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 4/19/2023 at 7:48 PM, RowdyRebel said:

😱😱😱

I paid $38K for an '01 with 250k miles in '08. E7-460P/T2180B/4.17 Mack rears on air ride. 240" WB daycab. It's got a 12.8k steer, so parking brakes on both drives.

Then again, it's got about 150k on the new motor now as it sits in the driveway...been parked for 5 years at the end of this summer. Last guy that wanted to buy it (it's not for sale) pushed me to name a price, and I told him I'd consider letting it go for $850k. Sounds like my price wasn't too far off...🤑🤑🤑😂

Missed this one. Somehow I have never heard of parking brakes on both axles…. Bob

2 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

I haven't had a truck without parking maxi's on both rear axles Bob. Some of my Tri-axle dumps even had them on the lift axle which was nice when you had to park on a hill loaded. 

Been my observation The single axle park brake was  mainly on road tractors that  never had adverse to park on! Also it was an attempt by sales stalf to keep the price of the unit down by 50 bucks! Kind like having electric window winders! 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mowerman said:

Missed this one. Somehow I have never heard of parking brakes on both axles…. Bob

Mack (used to, anyway) put 'em on 1 drive axle if the truck was spec'd with a 12k steer axle, and both drive axles if the steer was >12k. I've seen too many 1-axle parking brake trucks that can't hold their own while loaded & parked...gotta pop the trailer brakes, too, or you'll roll down even the slightest of hills. Most road trucks only have a 12k steer.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

A little more truck related insanity..I went up the Mack dealer today to pick up a few bolts,there close by, anyway for a 7/8 x 4.5 grade 8 bolt they want 34.26,5.85 for a washer and 18.45 for a locking nut,that’s 58.56 each and I wanted 4,that would come to 234.24 + tax..WTF is this even legal to over charge that much? That same bolt,washer and nut is 14 to 15 bucks elsewhere..

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Prices are crazy on everything my dad in 1974 bought a brand new corvette stingray 4 speed convertible for 6500 he was at his job 2 years and could afford to buy it . I work for the same company he did been there 19 years and Maby I could afford the wheels for a new corvette lol when will it stop . I did buy a 2019 challenger wide body that was 6 months old but hell it had a salvage title and somone had done a donut into a phone pole with it I couldn’t afford one off the lot lol

3020CCBA-8322-4F4F-AC74-F6066CBA1DF2.jpeg

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

It was not that bad to fix some internal sheetmetal parts a new quarter panel a cv shaft and a new wheel and it was good as new 4 grand in parts and they totaled it with only 4000 miles

• Like 1

I stopped at a little used car lot in Rustburg the other day to look at a pickup that I've seen there for a while. Zina doesn't like the rust bucket, it's too big, too loud, it's not an extended cab so there's nowhere for the dogs to sit, it's too loud, etc. So I stopped and looked at a pretty nice looking F150 extended cab pickup. It had $10,500 on the sticker, no rust, no bents. Not too bad I thought. But it was a lot older than I thought, I think it was a 2002 model. Then I saw the milage- 297,000. 

It has a 6.0 diesel in it. I don't know what it is or a thing about a 6.0 diesel, so I phoned a friend who knows all about all such matters. He said to stay far, far away from it because 300,000 was about the life of them. He said you're lucky to get 300,000 out of one.

So I'm sticking with the old rust bucket, at least for now. 

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Tommy I had a beautiful 6.0 crew cab f350 loved that truck but I kept loosing all the coolant and it was replaced with diesel fuel did the cups and it still did it only othe thing was cracked heads I unloaded it didn’t want the hassle

• Like 1

Yes, I would’ve thought the same thing to many miles. I have a four-door F150 and that’s the way to go and my two tiny Chihuahua dogs fit right nice in the back  once you go four doors, there’s no turning back 

• Like 2

I had several 6.0 Powerstroke diesels.

Left stock they can be good. Thus why I think the VT365 International version in medium duty trucks seemed to live no problem. Mine got way better fuel mileage empty and towing than my 07 5.9 Cummins Ram dually.

But first thing you need to do.....flush that garbage Motorcraft Gold coolant out. That was the biggest cause of the head gasket failures. The silicates settle out of it over time, then plug the EGR and OIL coolers, which then causes flash boiling in the cylinders and then blown head gasket. I ran Cat extended life coolant in mine.

Second, if you program for big power stock, like I did, it will blow up.  When it does, stud it, run good coolant and oil and they are a great motor. I also deleted my EGR which really helps.

I love the way those V8's sound.

Edited by Bullheaded
spelling

as said by bull, stock they are great. 

problem is ford tuned them to the upper limit of their power band. if you go any higher they will fail. that is why the international DT365 is rated 25 or so lower HP than the 6.0

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I don't think so. 6.0 Powerstrokes were mediocre at best bone stock or not, and 2003-2004s were just plain awful. EPA required lower emissions and Ford/Navistar were either not up to the challenge or just plain lazy. So many failed fuel pumps, blown head gaskets, failed EGR coolers, and hydrolocked engines. Really just plain junk. Any engine that needs $12,000-$15,000 worth of aftermarket "bulletproofing" or modifications to be made "good" is a literal boat anchor in my book. The best part was Ford/Navistar engineers know the engine had many design flaws and put it out anyway. Then came the 6.4. An even bigger POS. 2003-2010 was not a good time at all for Ford diesels.

Speaking of 6.0 Powerstrokes and Insanity, check out the link below to a 2004 F450 that just sold on Wednesday on the auction site BringATrailer.com. Granted it has been in storage its whole life and only has 13 miles on it but some whacko literally paid $55,500 for it. BringATrailer typically has sky high prices because they sell mint condition classics and low mileage quirky vehicles.  I don't know what the buyers fees are for that auction site but its typical to have a 10% buyers fee. So he possibly paid $61,000 for a 2004 F450 with a 6.0 Powerstroke. Bahahahahahahahahahaha.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-ford-f450/#comments-anchor

21 hours ago, mowerman said:

Yes, I would’ve thought the same thing to many miles. I have a four-door F150 and that’s the way to go and my two tiny Chihuahua dogs fit right nice in the back  once you go four doors, there’s no turning back 

Yep, that's what I always heard- no, wait, I'm thinking about something else. Never mind.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.